• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Battle Issues.....that everyone doesn't already know about !!!!!!

31 posts in this topic

I thought it might be interesting to list some of the best (and most obscure) battle covers that don't make the list of "usual suspects". This means no (1) Hulk/Thing (2) Hulk/Wolverine (3) Wolverine/Sabretooth (4) Spidey/Goblin covers that we can all pretty much recite in our sleep. Here are some of my favorites:

Iron Fist 12 (Iron Fist vs Captain America)(BTW, this is easily the hardest IF to find in high grade, if you have a CGC 9.6 please PM me)

Thor 166 (Thor vs Warlock)

Hulk 144 (Hulk vs Doctor Doom)

Captain America 241 (Cap vs Punisher and I think his only appearance in that title)

Amazing Spider-man 123 (Spidey vs Luke Cage)

Daredevil 43 (Daredevil vs Captain America)

Hulk 118 Hulk v. Subbie - great cover and battle

FF 62/63 FF v. Blastaar The Living Bomb-Burst - cool & just powerful enough to challenge FF - for a monkey in a blue suit! grin.gif

Some other goodies:

Tales to Astonish #100 - this is a great Subby/Hulk battle where they both beat each other senseless.

Subby #59 - Thor vs. Subby - a book that usually does very well on eBay when it shows up on eBay.

Warlock #10 - Thanos vs. Magus - WOW! A great cover with the opponent's faces opposite each other. Thanos meets his match (well kind of, you have to read it!)

My two cents have been thrown into the kitty as requested BB. Here is my post again, so you don't ahve to go searching for it.

WOW. Has this post evolved over the past couple of weeks. Bruce, as I have not been a part of this post since its inception (which you have made me aware of on more than one occassion) I am going to back up and give my "two cents" on the original "give me a new What If" concept before addressing the "how do we get kids into comics and expand the fan base" discussion.

NEW WHAT IF TOPIC:

What if it Captain America was a mutant? I always thought it would be interesting to go back to the time right before the "mutant witchhunt" period depicted in the X-men books and have it revealed that "America's Super Soldier and symbol of Freedom" was a mutie. The plot could evolve into the public's perception of mutants changing and becoming very positive (kid's looking up to their favorite mutants like they do sport's stars). As with all good "What-If" stories, the seeemingly positive premise would end in disaster with Magneto elected President of the US (who else would be better at taking advantage of the newfound popularity). He would then institute programs designed to detect "IF YOUR CHILD IS ONE OF THE LUCKY FEW WITH MUTANT ABILITY." They would be given special schooling and opportunities. Eventually, the mutants rise to the top of society and the rest are left behind. Eventually, "normals" or "GT's (future slang for genetic trash, which mutants come to refer to non-mutants as) become discriminated against and encouraged not to breed, go to school, etc.. Finally, on the eve of his election as President for an unprecedented FIFTH term, President Magneto signs the "Genetically Regressive Homosapian Registration Act" requiring all non-mutants to register and undergo forced sterilization to eradicate the "disease" of non-mutantcy.

Just my "two cents"!!!!!!!!

I'm sure everyone knows about these but:

Subbie vs. Thing (#8)

and one of the best covers of all time:

Silver Surfer vs. Thor

modern age honorable mention goes to the cover of Daredevil #200 where Daredevil with a broken arm is standing over the bludgeoned and broken body of Bullseye.