• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Battle Issues.....that everyone doesn't already know about !!!!!!

31 posts in this topic

Ok - how about the Avengers story starting at 129 with Kang; Hulk vs Abomination and Rhino #171, Hulk and Juggy #172; Hulk Vs. Destroyer #400 and something; Thor vs. Abomination #178; Thor vs. Surter #176; Defenders vs. Magneto in #15/16; Iron Man vs Crimson Dynamo and titanium Man #22; Iron Man V. Thor #66 ; FF vs Namor #147; FF vs Surfer #155.

Great call on the Iron Man 66 (vs Thor). I didn't even know about that one (which is why I started the post in the first place). In addition to FF 147, FF 102 was a good Namor vs FF battle cover.

Another one is Hulk 131 (vs Iron Man)

I have very few DC books but i did buy a 9.0 copy of showcase #55 because the cover is so damned cool. I have several JLA issues with the JSA crossovers which are all great - especially like #54? with the characters flying at each other head first. I also love the Green Lantern silver/golden age combos.

"That's a good one, but I really like Avengers 164-166 with a juiced Count Nefaria taking on the Avengers."

Damn are those great issues! I don't think I ever read any other Avengers issues where they take such a physical beating (I think Capt. America had it the worst too). I think I'm going to pull them out again grin.gif

I think one of the main reasons that 3-issue Avengers run sticks out so much for me is that it's a lot like a really good flick. The action never lets up, the stakes continue to be raised as the issues go by, and I don't think there was a kid alive who (about half-way through Avengers 165) wasn't just itching for Thor to show up.

Then bingo, there he is on the last page.

Add in the incredible Byrne art and some memorable scenes (like a trashed Cap giving Wonder Man his shield) and you have a real Bronze Age classic. I also remember that being a very, very long month until Avengers 166 came out. grin.gif

I'm surprised no one mentioned Tales to Astonish #93 - way cool Surfer/Hulk cover and too darn cheap in guide.

I always thought the Iron Man/Doom cover to #150 was pretty cool (in fact a lot of Dr.Doom covers are very cool).

My vote for coolest one from the Golden age goes to:

Silver Streak #7

Daredevil versus the coolest Golden age villain ever.