• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #608 for over $500!
3 3

454 posts in this topic

The Adveturers skelton cover was approx.15% of run and was sent to dealers in same proportion, except fpr a few warehouses where employees cherrypicked them. I don't think this was solicited so if you order 20 copies of the book you would recieve 17 regular and 3 variant. I'm not sure book is all that hot.

Thanks for the info, but was the Skeleton cover a known dealer premium, as in no cover price or would otherwise never get to the retail shelf? If it was just a variant mixed in with the rest of the print run, and therefore sat on the retail shelf with the other issues, then I don't classify it as a manufacturered collectible.

By definition, a manufactured collectible is NEVER intended to be put on the comic shelf at the same time and price as the standard version. It's usually a kick-back for dealers or in the case of DF, a way to make a quick buck from the fanboyz.

My memory may be a little hazy but I believe this was a variant cover that sat on the stands unnoticed for a few days. I remember getting a call from another dealer offering to buy the variant and that being the first time I was aware of them. I had recieved about 20 or so copies and put them right on shelf.Back then the entire ordersheet for the month was only 3 or 4 pages so I think I would have noticed it. This bookcame out early in the BW craze and it is possible that I missed the solicitation but I was pretty quick both jumping on and off the bandwagon. I sold a ton of Miami Mice, Elflords, Elf warriors and the like and laffed as my competitors were buiried in Daffy Khaddaffi, Gerbils, and my alltime favorite GI Jackrabbits. Is this book still desired?

Well that might be the key to its popularity, as a true variant is right on the shelf with the regular issue, either unnoticed (price variant, mis-print, error) or unpromoted and as a way to reward fans.

Anything that is a dealer premium or kick-back, or some of that DF [!@#%^&^], is a manufactured collectible, separate from the standard edition and designed from the ground up to be priced and sold at a mark-up.

Well over 6 years later, I just bought a Batman #608 RRP 9.6 for $700 and thought it was a steal. Looks like the book still holds value... :acclaim:

Just sold a 9.8 on the bay several weeks ago for about $1650, so I agree with it still holding value. :)

I paid $700 for my 9.4 last year when I didn't have a clue what I was doing :tonofbricks:

Well over 6 years later, I just bought a Batman #608 RRP 9.6 for $700 and thought it was a steal. Looks like the book still holds value... :acclaim:

Just sold a 9.8 on the bay several weeks ago for about $1650, so I agree with it still holding value. :)

I paid $700 for my 9.4 last year when I didn't have a clue what I was doing :tonofbricks:

Dammit, I must have missed the thread when you finally picked up that clue.

Dammit, I must have missed the thread when you finally picked up that clue.

I'll think of a funny comeback to that at some point.

Okay two things:

1) Here we are in the far flung future of 2011 and there are two 9.8s going for over $2K --- Amazing!

2) Anyone know where this oddity came from? Its not the newspaper version:

Batman 608 Special Edition NM Rare HTF LOOK!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-608-Special-Edition-NM-Rare-HTF-LOOK-/150590162730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230fdf872a

To my knowledge, and from the ones that I own myself there are 5 covers:

Batman #608

1. 1st Printing

2. 2nd Printing

3. RRP Edition

4. New York Post Giveaway Edition (now this has "Special Edition" top right with "New York Post Exlcusive" at the bottom.

5. Special Edition - basically the RRP cover with a yellow border saying "After Watchmen, Whats next"? - Was released in 2009