• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many years of income is your collection worth?

How many years of income is your collection worth?  

834 members have voted

1. 1. How many years of income is your collection worth?

93 posts in this topic

I was having a debate yesterday with a buddy of mine over the ridiculous amount of money he spends on his car collection. He tried a number of methods to try to put it into perspective for me. And by the end of it, we were haggling over years of income as a measure.

Talking about this guy having a $10K comic collection or that guy having a $200K collection tells you nothing about whether they are wasting money on comics. Or for that matter whether they have invested very wisely and their collection is out-appreciating their lifestyle.

So I thought I would open it up. Ballpark the value of your collection, and divide it by what you make in a typical year. What do you get?

As an example, if you make $40K a year and your collection is worth about $10K, that's about 3 months worth....

assuming you mean "how many months' salary would it take to repurchase your collection," instead of straight BV here

Assign value however you like. Realistically if you had to replace your entire collection book for book it would cost far more (since you couldn't do any bargain hunting). You can assign whatever value you like to a 5.5 Action 1, but if you had to buy one this month you would probably pay too much. confused-smiley-013.gif

I went with 3 to 5 years.

My collection is worth about 2.5 X my annual salary (pre-tax), and 3.5 X my annual salary after taxes. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Dude. 893whatthe.gif I knew it was high, but man.

I'm in the "6 months to a year" as well. I hope to stay at that level, but sell off less important comics to pay for some classic key grails.

My collection is worth about 2.5 X my annual salary (pre-tax), and 3.5 X my annual salary after taxes. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I'm in the "6 months to a year" as well. I hope to stay at that level, but sell off less important comics to pay for some classic key grails.

That all depends on what I make. frown.gif

assuming you mean "how many months' salary would it take to repurchase your collection," instead of straight BV here

Assign value however you like. Realistically if you had to replace your entire collection book for book it would cost far more (since you couldn't do any bargain hunting). You can assign whatever value you like to a 5.5 Action 1, but if you had to buy one this month you would probably pay too much. confused-smiley-013.gif

please amend my comment above to read "at your current rate/mode of purchase" immediately following "...your collection"

no reason one would have to repurchase. just saying

That all depends on what I make. frown.gif

Yeah, you could be unemployed and living in your parents basement, in which case you would need the 'infinity ratio' poll option.

I'm in that year or two category. But I haven't really totaled it up in several years.

Besides, all those copies of Dr. Mirage have got to be worth something just in recycle value.

I honestly have absolutely no idea how much all my comics are worth, and no intention of finding out.

But the real question is...

Would you take 6 months of Deathlok's income for them?

How bout 3 years of Greggy's?

A month of Bugaboo's?

Ten years of KrazyKat's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif