• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,743 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Crazy couple months, so haven't put anything up on CAF until today. Here are three highlights:

Camelot 3000 #1 splash (first appearance King Arthur)

Walking Dead #6, pg 20 (death of Shane)

American Gods #1 (Glenn Fabry)

fullsizeoutput_63ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_63a3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_63a0.jpeg

Love the camelot page.  This comic was a big deal back in the day and the Bolland art still looks amazing today!  

Not a walking dead fan - but am a tony moore fan. Love the expressions!

Congrats.

25 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Also found these two last week . ;. .

babylon 5.jpg

ratman.jpg

I loved  Babylon 5!  Too bad it's not on re-runs right now (don't tell me to stream it, I just watch whatever is on TV and don't chase after shows)

Malvin

Here's another piece of art I unearthed this past week.  My friend, Liverpool artist Bill Naylor, painted this DAN DARE cover in 1998. It was commissioned and used to front a small print-run fan story. I think it was called, 'The Androids of Thanos', or something?

dare.jpg

On 1/29/2018 at 9:40 PM, comix4fun said:

I was thinking Gorn too, but the size is off.  It's huge compared to the Predator head. 

Thank for the help though, I am still trying. 

Goofy top middle.  You're welcome

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, Owsler said:

Been a while, but here's some recent pages:

2 Akira Colourised pages from Steve Oliff
Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley
God Country by Geoff Shaw
Paper Girls by Cliff Chiang. 

20160610_114212.jpg

20160610_114232.jpg

20171130_155002.jpg

20171130_155539.jpg

20171229_162522.jpg

Stunning God Country page, absolutely stunning. Great pick up man. I came to that book way too late to ever get art but at a time were I really needed to read it in my life. Congrats.  

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, comix4fun said:

Added a couple of pieces that fit the trophy wall theme.

One was through heritage auctions, and the other was a commission piece. 

First is Richard Pace's "Harvey Dent's & Two Face's Trophy Room" I did a nice write up of how Richard and I arrived at the composition for the piece and the various thematic elements. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1449539

5a6fd02d2c0c6_PaceTwoFaceTrophyRoom.thumb.jpeg.1ed6d63fa0be7b97f37f96d450ac3006.jpeg

The other was from a Heritage Auction, but fit nicely into the theme.

Giorgio Comolo's "Space Game Hunter". 

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1449542

I've identified most of the trophies in this piece, if you can spot the ones I missed please include information in the comments, I'd appreciate the help as some of these are on the tip of my tongue but I can't place them. That's the danger of picking up a trophy room that I didn't have a hand in creating. lol

5a6fd0971f173_SpaceGameHunterComolo.thumb.jpg.d5e9c11aac223b8d788c4c309edc40ca.jpg

These are beautiful. The Harvey Two-Face Trophy Room has such an incredible design. The Space Hunter is just wow. Both are perfectly executed. Thank you for sharing.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:09 PM, Timely said:

1st of 3 big scores set in motion for this year. ASM Ditko battle action page. CAF comments appreciated!  :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1449498

asm22pg12MINE$72,500.jpg

I find it unbelievable that no one on this board has commented on this Ditko Spider-Man page. It is a beautiful page with Spidey in action in every panel. What does it take to impress the board members?

58 minutes ago, Tony D said:

I find it unbelievable that no one on this board has commented on this Ditko Spider-Man page. It is a beautiful page with Spidey in action in every panel. What does it take to impress the board members?

I did find myself reading the page when it was posted, it is pretty awesome @Timely

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

My wonderful wife, Kathy, bought me a simple spectacular 35th wedding anniversary present. It took a while to create, but Yale Stewart of the JL8 webcomic nailed it.

This piece is a JL8-style version of the Silver Age Legion of Super-Heroes, my favorite comic team. If you click the link and read the description, you'll learn who is who and what's going on.

Click the image to embiggen

Li'l Legion (a JL8 spin-off) by Yale Stewart, Comic Art

Just bought a nice Conan the Barbarian page by John Buscema and Ernie Chan - written by Roy Thomas, letters drawn by Joe Rosen:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1451423

Guess nostalgia is to blame for this purchase - the page is from the very first Conan book I read :cloud9: - I probably was about 10 years old back then hm

I just bought my first piece of straight pencil work (off the Comic Link auction) for all of $215, including shipping, taxes and commission. The moodiness is wonderful.

I'm thinking of a little project to go with it. While I would never want an inker to touch the original, particularly since Clark is dead, I was thinking of finding an inker who could ink a blue line of it. Then, get some fake decals and place them on the blue line for a "what could have been." 

What makes me curious, however, is what would an inker do to this? The grey shading variations which can be achieved with a pencil stand out here. Ink isn't "shade friendly", and I'm not sure that the essence of the piece can be preserved by an inker. 

RAD02DA7201815_105525.jpg

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I just bought my first piece of straight pencil work (off the Comic Link auction) for all of $215, including shipping, taxes and commission. The moodiness is wonderful.

I'm thinking of a little project to go with it. While I would never want an inker to touch the original, particularly since Clark is dead, I was thinking of finding an inker who could ink a blue line of it. Then, get some fake decals and place them on the blue line for a "what could have been." 

What makes me curious, however, is what would an inker do to this? The grey shading variations which can be achieved with a pencil stand out here. Ink isn't "shade friendly", and I'm not sure that the essence of the piece can be preserved by an inker. 

Jeff Huet comes to mind. Ask him or another inker to make it his own rather than just going over the original lines. Have them lightbox it from a scan you send. You don't want all that blue all over it that will show through after.

Maybe Jeff de los Santos or Mike Perkins too.

Edited by BCarter27

Chew got me back into reading comics after over a decade, and looking up Rob Guillory's web page introduced me to OA for the first time.  Feels good to be able to get this page from him.

Final Image for the Chew Series

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1451783&GSub=182595

img20180209_16472433.jpg