• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,747 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I'm a fan of the Grant Morrison Animal Man run, and the last few issues of the run was quite profound, especially Grant Morrison interacting with Animal Man.  So I'm stoked that I finally added a page where Grant Morrison himself appears!

CAF Link

Thanks for looking

Malvin

23 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Hi all,

Just added this splash page from What if #27. From a memorable story "What if the Phoenix had not died" which had an alternate ending to the Phoenix saga. 

There were only 2 splash pages in the story - this one and the title splash which is owned by @GreatEscape

It ain't Cockrum or Byrne but still nice :)

Note the team drawing at the top is a homage to the Giant Size X-Men 1 cover (minus Phoenix of course)

Thanks for looking.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1469843

IMG_3272.JPG

Outstanding... It’s really awesome to see this splash from one of my favorite comics!  Congrats RickyBobby!

In 1992, Valiant Comics introduced a super-team— similar to Marvel’s Avengers— bringing together many key heroes including Solar, X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Eternal Warrior, Shadowman, Archer & Armstrong, Sandra Darque and others.  Secret Weapons #1 also introduced an all powerful villain called Master Darque to threaten the fate of the universe— like Thanos.  Presenting my first piece of Valiant art, the cover art to Secret Weapons #1:

Secret Weapons #1

My latest addition. Jim Aparo Batman Unpublished Inventory Splash Page 14 Original Art (DC, c. 1990s). A stunning right hook on a powerful splash page autographed "For Neal - Best Wishes - Jim Aparo" in the lower margin. Ink over graphite on DC Bristol board with an image area of 10.5" x 15". The page is has light handling wear in the margins, causing slight discolorations. There are water stains on the reverse side, but not onto the front. In Excellent condition. 

This is a very special page for me as it is drawn by my all time favorite Batman artist Jim Aparo. The Inker for this page would be Stan Woch. Estimated year of creation is 1997 based on the time period that Jim and Stan collaborated on Batman: Shadow of the Bat. This is definitely representative of Aparo ‘s later work but it definitely captures what I love about his work. The page is so powerful and the dynamic.  It’s also a splash page. Which is one of the first few I have been able to acquire. 
This is also signed by Aparo which is amazing... I wonder who Neal was and how he got this page. 
Why do I love Jim Aparo?
When I was five my Dad bought me my first comic, Batman #442. Prior to this my exposure to Batman was the 1989 Tim Burton film and the Super Power Action figure. 
I remember picking up Batman #442 off the shelf of Phantom of the Attic in Parkway Center Mall. The cover by George Perez featured Robin (Tim Drake) swinging towards us with the Batsignal shining bright perfectly framing the Boy Wonder. It’s an iconic cover and I can easily see why my five year old self picked it up of the shelf even though the issue was not a new release. The comic was drawn by the incomparable Mr. Jim Aparo. Since that day Jim Aparo’s unmistakable style is, was, and will always be synonymous with my favorite storytelling medium and my favorite fictional character. 
Aparo’s style was a no nonsense superhero style. His Batman was built more like a gymnast than bodybuilder, which lent to how  Batman would move and fight. His pacing was perfect Aparo’s action and storytelling is still my favorite and epitomizes what comics are to me. 
I have collected comic art and sketches for almost twenty years with the past two being a very active and engaged member of the OA community and in all that time I have not had an opportunity to really afford an Aparo Batman page whether that be because of my own ignorance or financial limitations. 
I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Aparo but the stories I have heard from other collectors are that he was polite and pretty modest, not quite grasping why the fans loved his art so much. To this day I would love to know more about him and hope to hear more during my collecting adventures.
Granted I had just won an Aparo Page, my first and also from this unpublished Inventory story. But when this page presented itself on Heritage I knew I had to take a shot. Previously I had not won any auction on Heritage, to be honest it was never even close. So this time I looked at the page and made my bid, which I was hoping since the page was unpublished would bring me over the top. 
As I watched the clock run down and the hammer drop I won another piece from my grail Batman/Comic artist. The joy was palpable and I knew that this was an even greater  example of Jim Aparo’s work. My Batman artist.

7CB9E9C8-53BF-4CAD-8232-AB4D518025D4.jpeg

5617F0B1-9783-4225-AD16-90467BBD76FC.jpeg

B7327DA0-91D9-4C7E-8891-9E1389EF95D5.jpeg

C0CC474D-03FA-4D90-95E4-942589792589.jpeg

32211BC8-6976-4112-AAD3-909CBD2A388D.jpeg