• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,747 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Hekla said:

Queen and Country 1 cover prelim from Tim Sale. I loved this series and my heart skipped a beat when I saw this in his portfolio.

queen and country 1 cover.jpeg

Very nice, loved the series too, was this a recent purchase? 

Malvin 

Just now, malvin said:

Very nice, loved the series too, was this a recent purchase? 

Malvin 

yes - yesterday at Phoenix comic-con (or rather comicfest now). Tim said it was a recent discovery in a forgotten folder.

Comipalooza was this weekend. While it wasn't the strongest "comic" con, I've ever attended, they did have some good comic guests including many of the artists in the Felix Comic Art group. I'll do a review later.

I ended up with two pieces from that group - Skottie Young and Daniel Warren Johnson

Skottie Young has done a lot of interesting work, e.g., adapting the OZ books to comics and a title called "I Hate Fairyland." I got in line for an autograph and to say hi. He allocates drawing slots (done while you wait so he works very quickly) if you roll doubles. I rolled and won the right to buy a drawing. I asked for a Sugar & Spike piece. I thought then (and do still) that Skottie would do a great S&S and was shocked to discover he didn't know who they were. The youth of today! 1f642.png:) His take skews a little older than our toddlers and may be a little more sinister. I do like it though.

image.png.ade482d009d7bec73e39840717db2685.png

Daniel Warren Johnson created a tale that I really enjoyed - Extremity. It tells the story of a young girl, Thea, and her family in a time of conflict. Thea is an artist who lost her drawing hand in the battles and the story is shaped by that act. Dan chose to show Thea in contemplation as opposed to a standard pose and I really like it.
image.png.aa7f3d92612d8f83faeb4a10de0f762d.png

Click the image to embiggen.

Edited by alxjhnsn

Just won my first Gene Colan Dracula cover :cloud9: I'm a great fan of Colan and especially appreciate how he nailed several emotions/feelings in this piece - like love, desire, lust and hunger  - and I believe it's a nice example of Colan's fluid figure drawing style and expert use of shadow:

Now I can't help thinking, was I a better man on my own wedding night? hm :blush: :facepalm:

RAD6C0202018313_12314322333.thumb.JPG.a47f5b21dab9805704723cac9b0a8485.JPG

123435.thumb.JPG.ca6a897b03dcd3c6dc03bc13146915f2.JPG
Edited by Rune

First win from Heritage, and it checks off a major box for me.  I've always liked EC books, so I thought I'd try to get an example of each of the greats.  Graham Ingels was always my favorite, and I finally scored a nice page of his.  This is the final page of an Edgar Allen Poe adaptation and has a great finishing panel with the Old Witch. Back in the old EC days, they weren't scared to show a little blood, even if there wasn't any actual blood to show.  

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1475941

839877015_CrimeSuspenstories3Pg31.thumb.jpg.2a60803d6e5ad59b49cad522a3b88eda.jpg

Once again, I've impoverished my children. Yes, I bought (and didn't lose) a new piece. :)

This piece is by Charles Paul Wilson from the wonderful The Stuff of Legend with words and plot from Mike Riacht and Brian Smith.

In the story, The Boy was kidnapped by the Bogeyman. In this scene, the Bogeyman reveals the source of his interest in The Boy just before a major battle. I'm really excited to get this key story point.

image.png.2fd21ef9634a969cc0369bc7d687629b.png

On 4/25/2018 at 10:01 AM, vodou said:

hBRQc7Jg_2504180944461gpadd.png

were you allowed to show this before the book was solicited??? just curious if artist gets upset if art is shown before actual book comes out. Great piece.

36 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

Michael & Laura Allred's

MADMAN #2, pg. 38

1992, Tundra (B&W mini-series)

Pencil & ink

20180604_223734.jpg

20180518_220536.jpg

trying to recall as it's been a while - is that little madman figure in the bottom margin part of an animated series that you could flip the pages to bring to life? If so - might be  a good reason to want to own the complete book.

On 5/29/2018 at 4:15 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Comipalooza was this weekend. While it wasn't the strongest "comic" con, I've ever attended, they did have some good comic guests including many of the artists in the Felix Comic Art group. I'll do a review later.

I ended up with two pieces from that group - Skottie Young and Daniel Warren Johnson

Skottie Young has done a lot of interesting work, e.g., adapting the OZ books to comics and a title called "I Hate Fairyland." I got in line for an autograph and to say hi. He allocates drawing slots (done while you wait so he works very quickly) if you roll doubles. I rolled and won the right to buy a drawing. I asked for a Sugar & Spike piece. I thought then (and do still) that Skottie would do a great S&S and was shocked to discover he didn't know who they were. The youth of today! 1f642.png:) His take skews a little older than our toddlers and may be a little more sinister. I do like it though.

image.png.ade482d009d7bec73e39840717db2685.png

Daniel Warren Johnson created a tale that I really enjoyed - Extremity. It tells the story of a young girl, Thea, and her family in a time of conflict. Thea is an artist who lost her drawing hand in the battles and the story is shaped by that act. Dan chose to show Thea in contemplation as opposed to a standard pose and I really like it.
image.png.aa7f3d92612d8f83faeb4a10de0f762d.png

Click the image to embiggen.

with respect to Skottie not knowing Sugar and Spike - at least you can easily get the artist reference on their phone.  I recall having to scrounge through back issue bins to find comics as reference for artists at cons when getting commssions of obscure or Indy characters they didn' know well enough to draw from memory.

34 minutes ago, Panelfan1 said:

trying to recall as it's been a while - is that little madman figure in the bottom margin part of an animated series that you could flip the pages to bring to life? If so - might be  a good reason to want to own the complete book.

It was a little animated flip corner. I owned one of these pages for a while. I want to say they were all stats though. I'd love the original drawn sequence if that exists somewhere. Probably a good question for Mike! :)

23 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

It was a little animated flip corner. I owned one of these pages for a while. I want to say they were all stats though. I'd love the original drawn sequence if that exists somewhere. Probably a good question for Mike! :)

Definitely a pasted on stat...does not appear to be original drawn art on the stat...

20180607_084120.jpg

20180607_084242.jpg