• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,747 posts in this topic

Happy Father’s Day to all!  Speaking of dads, here’s a classic Jim Steranko X-Men #51 page from "The Devil Had a Daughter!", an incredible battle page with both Magneto and Lorna Dane (Polaris).  After Magneto reveals he is Lorna's father, invites her to join him to rule the world and declares war against the X-men, Cyclops responses with a powerful punch!

Artistically, this X-Men page contains several Steranko hallmarks like “motion blur”, dynamic anatomy, “op art” backgrounds and mind-blowing perspectives.  As one of the great innovators of narrative art, Steranko infused concepts from pop art, psychedelia, advertising and commercial design to bring surrealism (aka “optical art”) to comics that remains influential today— over 50 years later.  Enjoy!

Steranko X-Men #51

Edited by GreatEscape

I recently purchased these 14x20 pages from Mike Royer. He wasn't sure for which B&W mag they were intended, but I'm thinking Marvel Premiere (1978).

For whatever reason they were reported "lost in a fire" in 1978. A couple years later Marvel "found" them, and returned them to Mike. Sorry for the fuzzy pics.

Sq9jds8.jpgostBe6y.jpgbauxQ6P.jpggkmL6av.jpglBvRu8O.jpgnayXUoO.jpg

Heroescon 2018 is over, but I'm still thrilled with what happened. Here are three items that are the direct result of the con. Be sure to click the images to get a bigger picture and read the details.

Don Rosa added color to my Scrooge and Donald birthday present! Check it out!

Uncle Scooge and Donald Hanging Out Together by Don Rosa, Comic Art

My first jam is complete! Sgt. Rock and Easy Company charge into battle. The Kubert image is printed on the page from the original that I own. Matthew Clark did the layout around that image and various artists completed it. I think I'm going to do that again! :)
Easy Company by Matthew Clark et al, Comic Art

We finally won (after 5 years of trying) a David Petersen painted piece featuring Mouse Guard characters - Kenzie in this case. Yay! The story of our long search might be fun to read. Click and see.
Kenzie by David Petersen, Comic Art

I also have a piece that I've had for a long time, but never scanned. The original Omnicoms from the Legion 5YL stories. They were used to frame text pieces in the books.
Omnicoms by Keith Giffen, Comic Art

Last, I have a Don Rosa piece that I had not posted.
Uncle Scrooge by Don Rosa, Comic Art

It's been a busy week and I'm not through posting our Heroescon pickups. More to come.

The last of my Heroescon haul. 

Gandalf the Grey - David Petersen
Gandalf the Grey by David Petersen Comic Art

From the Drink and Draw for Team Cul de Sac
Owly in the Rain - Andy Runton

PK, Purrmione, and Bagheera (my wife’s cats) - Andy Runton

Fred and George (my daughter’s cats) - Andy Runton
Owly in the Rain by Andy Runton Comic ArtFred and George by Andy Runton Comic Art
PK, Purrmoine, and Bagheera by Andy Runton Comic Art

From my new Sheldon Mayer sketchbook:
Red Tornado - Franco

Sugar and Spike - Chris Giarrusso

Three Mouseketeers - Andy Runton
Red Tornado by Franco Comic ArtSugar and Spike with G-Man from Chris Giarrusso Comic ArtThree Mouseketeers by Andy Runton Comic Art

From my wife’s Strong Women sketchbook
Selina - Yale Stewart

Wonder Woman - Richard Cox
Selina and Shadow by Yale Stewart Comic ArtWonder Woman by Richard Cox Comic Art

From my daughter’s sketchbook
Katy Keene - Dan Parent (interesting story here)

Selina and Kitty - Yale Stewart
Katy Keene by Dan Parent Comic ArtSelina and Cat by Yale Stewart Comic Art

Something for everyone. 
Edited by alxjhnsn
Added images

Super happy to have finally nabbed one of my favorite pages from Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run.  This was from a fill-in issue, but easily my favorite fill-in issue of all time.  It takes a half-reprint, half-dream issue and makes it really matter to the series story.  It's also the introduction of Cain and Abel in the DC /Vertigo universe, and as such, the story's full of fun wordplay.  The "Am I your keeper" panel gives me shivers every time I reread it.  

Swamp Thing 33 Pg 4 .jpg

Great googly moogly, I forgot a Heroescon purchase!

In my defense, we landed in Houston at 1:30pm on Monday and I had to fly out to London on an 8:30p flight. Given the time to get home, pack, and get back, I was lucky to scan and save as much as I did.

However, I was in such a rush that I left one piece on the scanner!

Please meet Hazel from the comic book series "Southern Cross" which is written by Becky Cloonan and drawn by Andy Belanger. Hazel is quite the character and I'm glad she's visiting!

As usual, click image to embiggen.

image.png.3c8d7120d3ea61a4e4c35298c84703a4.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

Finally uploaded a bunch of my more recent acquisitions to CAF.  This one's one of my favorites.  I finally checked Rick Leonardi off my X-Men artist list.  And while some of his earlier work was cool, this one is from X-Men 273, which was right in the middle of the X-Men run I read in Jr High.  I was way into the X-Tinction Agenda back then, and eagerly snatched up all the X-Men and related issues I could find.  I though this issue was a really cool follow up, with all the teams finally united and interacting.  And the issue had so many artists, it was just such a cool reading experience back then.  I also think Leonardi's Archangel came off really nice.  Really happy to have snatched this one up.  

1463100912_UncannyX-Men273Pg16.thumb.jpg.32dfbe4d853ddad22932f58b6d53e882.jpg

I have always been curious about the mechanics of doing a trade when two parties are in different cities.  

well - I just completed my first trade recently and happy to report it all went well.  

The other party was Will Gabri-El.  He's super nice and easy to deal with for anyone who's ever wondered what it's like to work with him.

On a funny note - it felt a bit like a hostage negotiation - as we each sent out the package on the same day and emailed tracking info using the same shipper.  To give you a visual- it reminded me of the Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson where, set in a forest - a hunter is exchanging a dear with another dear that is exchanging the man's human hunting partner.

Now to the art:

Today I posted a new addition to my Spidey gallery. It's a Marvel Team-Up cover.  

link to the art here

MarvelTeam-Up078.jpg