• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

Art Day: Sky Masters "Vomit Comet" strip #2

The first acquisition of 2019 and my 2nd Sky Masters strip by Kirby and Wood.
When I was growing up I loved anything with the NASA Space Program. One of the ways astronauts trained for missions in space was to ride in the "Vomit Comet" (a series of aircraft which flew parabolas which duplicated weightless environment or zero-g). 
As a kid I always dreamed of going into space and training on the "Vomit Comet", fast forward and for my 50th birthday I was able to to experience weightlessness zero-g in a similar aircraft which the astronauts used)
This is the 2nd strip from the sequence where Sky Masters and Mayday train in zero-g. I have strips 2/25/59 and 2/27/59, I am looking to complete the sequence, looking for Sky Masters Dailies 3/23/59, 3/24/59 and 3/26/59. Email me if you know where one is. Thanks.

Sky_Masters_3_25_59.jpg

15 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Hey Jim,

Love this painting. Can you talk about where/when you picked this up? Would love the chance to find such a beauty one day.

11 hours ago, drfate said:

Picked the Jusko up this past month from a long time collector friend of mine.

This caught my eye way back 2005 or 06 when Jusko was first hauling it around to conventions. At the time I was quite impressed by it, more how he handled the tree than Vampi (hot girls in comic art...a dime a dozen, I prefer real women), but an artist friend rightly set me straight. This painting, like most of Jusko's work, is rather stiff and very staged-looking even in final form. Have to say, that comment rung true and it ruined Jusko for me for life. Now the stuff that Joe was collecting, that's a different story, beautiful classic living and lively illustration art...and it later made sense to me that he wanted to go there himself but couldn't overcome his own stiffness. At least that's my take. Joe's ask at the time was $5k.

On 1/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, awayne83 said:

It really impressed me in person (the copics look fantastic)

Regarding copic colors, they do look great when applied. However, they are not archival and will fade. The best you can do is keep them out of the light.

From their website:

▼ Will Copic ink on artwork fade over time?
Dyes are artificial material made through chemical processes and are not usually as archival as pigment products.
In general, dyes are susceptible to ultraviolet rays. Copic inks are a dye and Copic-colored images will fade under direct sunlight or fluorescent light. If your artwork with Copic will be put up in well-lighted area, it is better to seal it with a UV blocking seal.

So be careful.

3 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Dyes are artificial material made through chemical processes and are not usually as archival as pigment products.
In general, dyes are susceptible to ultraviolet rays. Copic inks are a dye and Copic-colored images will fade under direct sunlight or fluorescent light. If your artwork with Copic will be put up in well-lighted area, it is better to seal it with a UV blocking seal.

So be careful.

Good tip!

My office in the basement with o windows looks better and better everyday!

4 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Regarding copic colors, they do look great when applied. However, they are not archival and will fade. The best you can do is keep them out of the light.

From their website:

So be careful.

Thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind. Still debating on whether to have the piece touched up, so for now its stowed away safely 

Edited by awayne83