• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Oh yeah, congrats- I saw it on Facebook!

That's a great splash, Charlie and the Punishers are especially well executed. Great example from the series!

Sorry- I have no clue who is who from here in the real world lol- I just remembered your thread on your stuff being published without knowing and how you like this version of GOG.

Thanks!

On 10/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, GreatEscape said:

CA73851E-4252-4589-851E-29CDDB3BB2B4.thumb.jpeg.f1b0153c512df8aa20e8992cfd093758.jpeg

Sandman painting

This mind-blowing apocalyptic painting published in "The Sandman: A Gallery of Dreams" by Colleen Doran... a multi-layered composition of Sandman (Dream), Death, Lucifer and baby David along with key Sandman artifacts: the Key to Gates of Hell (from Season of Mists), the Morpheus Mask (Preludes and Nocturnes), Death’s Ankh and White Swan (Fables and Reflections), etc. A feast for the eyes chock full of symbolic imagery and apocalyptic visions that perfectly capture the dark fantasy tone of the Sandman anthology...and the horrors of Halloween!  

What a great piece, and the perfect time of year to celebrate it.  Congrats!

Kathy and I attended Baltimore Comic Con and returned with two new pieces of art:

• Sea Sirens pg 68 by Janet Lee
  • Blacksad and Kitties by Andy Price

The first is a page from Sea Sirens (A Trot and Cap'n Bill Story) by Amy Chu (words) and Janet Lee (art). The book is beautiful and the story is sweet - a girl, her cat, and her granddad take a Little Nemo like adventure.

I recommend it and will put a link to it in the comments though I'm sure you can get it at your Local Comic Shop or bookstore.

One other comment, lots of people say that there are no comics for kids. It's just not true. I will agree that they are generally not packaged in 32 page floppy magazines, but there are some truly wonderful stories told with sequential pictures and dialog. This is one, but there are so many more including books by Ben Hatke, Mike Maihack, Raina Telgemeier's Comics, Faith Erin Hicks, Andy Runton, The OFFICIAL Jeff Smith page, Thomas Zahler, and so many, many more. Most can be enjoyed by folks of any age. 

Check the page out here: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1586023 or click the image.

261955647_LeeJanetK.-SeaSirenspg68.thumb.jpg.b9bba973ebca35ce849064bf77250339.jpg

The second piece was intended for the con's yearbook. The theme this year was the character John Blacksad, a hardboiled noir detective living in an anthropomorphic world. From the Baltimore Comic Con site, there is this description:

"This film noir-style series follows John Blacksad through stories set in late 1950s, reflecting a dirty, realist outlook and a dark cinematic style through fairly clean, realistic lines. The series’ art features detailed watercolor drawings, including real-life places and cities, which contribute to the realistic feel of the series. Blacksad is a private investigator whose cases entail researching murders, child abductions, and nuclear secrets. Guarnido’s painted art and rich cinematic style bring 1950s America to life on the page of his books, and Canales’ storytelling of conspiracy, racial tension, and the “red scare” Communist witch hunts of the era make for compelling storytelling. Guarnido’s anthropomorphism in Blacksad is unique."
The art from the yearbook is sold at auction and the proceeds are shared, as I understand it, between the artists and charity.

Andy Price's published piece in the yearbook was a commission so it could not be sold at the auction. This one was offered in its place and it amuses me greatly. Read more about it here: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1586072
1963644292_PriceAndy-BlacksadandAndysKitties.thumb.jpg.08a79a56feaa6d1e5a73bed4c7e745bd.jpg