• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2020 at 5:34 PM, RBerman said:

I got some Kitson pages today from Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes #23. Two sketch pages (one in pencil and one surprisingly in ink) and the corresponding final inked pages. And then.... what is this? It's a shrunken ink rendition of one of the pages, on thick tracing paper. Signed and dated. Does it have some role in the production process? Or something else?Nf6rXU2.jpg.2a17172b6e67a990eed870ac1615a6d5.jpg

It looks like it might be a shadow study-- we used to do the same thing before Photoshop -- a smaller sketch of a page done on vellum on which we block in large black areas-- the smaller size is similar to the effect you get when you squint at a page to see if it "reads" correctly.

2 minutes ago, AndyFish said:

It looks like it might be a shadow study-- we used to do the same thing before Photoshop -- a smaller sketch of a page done on vellum on which we block in large black areas-- the smaller size is similar to the effect you get when you squint at a page to see if it "reads" correctly.

Interesting. What is the purpose of using vellum, if it's not traced from something behind it? Perhaps there is a now-missing smaller piece from which the vellum page was traced?

5 hours ago, RBerman said:

Interesting. What is the purpose of using vellum, if it's not traced from something behind it? Perhaps there is a now-missing smaller piece from which the vellum page was traced?

I can't speak for Kitson, but in my case it's so that my incredibly messy thumbnails are cleaned up.    We do this digitally now for both books we're working on to show proofs to the writer and the editor of the initial layouts.

Edited by AndyFish

1 hour ago, vodou said:

"Was" nice in pencil form.

image.png.c2958fe6026d5325e38cd87b916c60ac.png

Too bad it was ruined by after-market inks to help bump flippability.

image.thumb.png.33069c5ca2e8adb8573388283090a1ab.png

Maybe George can tackle some other "unfinished" junk next. My suggestion...

image.png.7f721819b65288ca178b6db6b50640cc.png

Two great and respected artists does not make one great piece. #clickbait #flip-fodder

2 hours ago, vodou said:

"Was" nice in pencil form.

Too bad it was ruined by after-market inks to help bump flippability.

Maybe George can tackle some other "unfinished" junk next. My suggestion...

Is this common, that pencils are altered like this after the fact?

I tell you, Marat Mychaels is one of the coolest dudes around. Some may see his Do You Pooh series and scoff but as a ying to the yang of the negative interaction with an artist thread, Marat was such a solid guy that I bought a cover just because of the interaction. 

I give you "Do You Pooh" The Major X parody cover.

84189043_181518492949366_8820528572918661120_n.jpg.0f848b3bf555dd43b6470d8f0da220c0.jpg

download.jpg.54dce2528157f2a523aa17de71d4b100.jpg

I'm now finding that there are less and less OA that interest me, but i still went to my local big con (FanExpo Vancouver).  It was a pleasant surprise that I found a couple of things to buy:

1. Mike Grell Prelim to his Green Arrow Omnibus Cover - CAF Link 

He indicated that he doesn't plan to sell the painted version anytime soon.

2. Cary Nord Batman Commission - CAF Link

Apparently someone else commissioned it and bailed.  I liked it so I bought it.

Thanks for looking

Malvin