• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2020 at 7:42 AM, GreatEscape said:

Birth of a genre!  Historic splash page from the Conan prototype story "Kull of Atlantis" that Barry Windsor-Smith created months before the arrival of Conan the Barbarian #1 in 1970. 100% BWS pencils and inks, a classic image and first page of the story drawn. BWS used this Kull prototype to create Conan the Barbarian and the rest is comics history. By Crom!

Link

1EBD4D8E-AA21-4CA9-9FD6-2BB8627380F3.jpeg.6346819734caac0f4deef82da645cb14.jpeg

:hi:

On 5/24/2020 at 10:27 AM, GreatEscape said:

Happy Memorial Day weekend folks!  

Something truly special to post... a magnificent splash from legendary French artist, Philippe Druillet!  Druillet revolutionized the comics narrative with "The Six Voyages of Lone Sloane" in 1972 and this is the opening splash from the first voyage "The Throne of the Black God" introducing the space-traveling Lone Sloane and-- you guessed it-- the mysterious Throne of the Black God!  A true pioneer of graphic storytelling, Druillet was one of the founders of Heavy Metal (“Métal Hurlant”) and revered as one of Europe's "Big 3" along with Moebius and Hergé.   Drawn with colossal scale (28" x 36" inches!), among the largest pen-and-ink OA ever created.  

Just a tad bigger than my scanner, so my daughter was happy to pose with it:  

Link

tRuHsYmR_2405200052551sbpi.jpg

Be safe, stay healthy and enjoy your long weekend!

I'm not familiar with the artist, but that is a flat out remarkable (and remarkably large) work of art. Congratulations. Has the story every been collected in English? My French is rusty, very rusty.

To additions to my daughter's collection:

• JL8 207 which features an homage to a famous scene from DKR by Frank Miller
  • The (Not So) Wicked Witch of the West by Marcus Cardenas-Rocco
The former is a house warming gift to her. The latter a piece she bought at Comicpalooza that we recently uncovered.

Click to embiggen:
image.thumb.png.c57762ff75a059692f0bfcf0fe67be89.png
image.thumb.png.442e1b26031daa5e76926cfa510be7ad.png
Edited by alxjhnsn