• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,744 posts in this topic

New Art Day - Superman Annual 10 pg 27 by Curt Swan (p) and Murphy Anderson (i)

Note: New Art Day is also known as Squander my Daughters' Inheritance Day.

Sure, it's not a Sienkiewicz or a multiply pubished Gorilla page, but I like it. :)

George Klein and Murphy Anderson were Curt's top inkers and I'd love a page by each. However, GK pages are way more expensive and SwAnderson pages are plentiful as Heritage auctions off Murphy's collection.

I bid in the 2020 May 17-18 weekly auction where the "minor" pieces are usually found. There were two that I quite liked, but they were the last two pieces in the auction. I wouldn't have enough time to lose the first one and bid on the 2nd (HA live bidding by computer is too fast for me). I decided to go for the latter piece and won it for less than I expected!

Click the image to see a bigger image, the other piece, and a write-up describing why I liked this page. The reason may surprise you.

image.thumb.png.b5941333040ec01ac52a5f8887e5a6b7.png

Way back on May 6 I posted that I, for the first time in my original art buying life, bought three pages in one day.  The odd thing was that two pages (coming from Australia) arrived on May 11 and I posted them immediately.  The third page, coming from California? Just arrived today.  That’s a pandemic for you.  

Works out fine, however, as my custom frame shop has been closed this entire time, but just opening back up this week, and I’d made an appointment on Friday to bring all three pieces in... so the timing is great.

Anyway, here’s the third piece from that day - a second Spidey Sunday strip!  This is from the era just when Fred Kida took up the daily art duties from John Romita Sr., but JRSR was still chipping in from time to time, especially doing the “Spidey” work to help.  What drew me to this strip, as you’ll see was it was very obviously one of those “time to times”. :) 

The Spideys in panels 3 and 6 seem very much the work of Romita to me! Regardless it’s a cool piece with nice Giacoia inks and MJ and JJJ to boot so I  was thrilled to add it to my collection!

8B16D01E-B6E4-4E91-BCE4-3CFCE91B4A03.thumb.jpeg.e6ff082c1f108c7583ab81bfd537bc9d.jpeg

Oh by the way?

I don’t think I realized how much bigger the old strips used to be!  I’m sure those who are avid collectors of strips know this, but look at this side by side of the two Sundays I purchased.  They were dramatically bigger back in the day... which is really pretty great!

102F3936-8CEC-43FC-914E-E198AA4F85C6.thumb.jpeg.9eb5ddb27ca7bda3c3b0fab42e87b551.jpeg

On 6/26/2020 at 5:49 PM, Subby1938 said:

A nice little gem from the late Marie Severin. This piece was done in 2001 and I’m happy to add this to my growing Submariner collection:

691068E7-079A-4ACB-87DF-5ACCDC22840F.jpeg

6A039C8A-5B89-4671-9B20-3D2512EBC61F.jpeg

Underrated artist.

On Monday, in an act of pure boredom, I won this mediocre piece on Heritage Auctions for about $95.00, including BP, shipping and taxes. The art itself is by Tom Grindberg and Dennis Janke, from a story in the old Action Comics Weekly.

In my view, what makes the piece mediocre is basically the clutter. There is too much dialog shoe-horned around too little plot. With tighter text and the elimination of unnecessary facts (e.g. details about the FBI, warnings and banter), this probably could have been condensed into a respectable 4 panel, with more actual action going on. The artists had to pretty much make do with a 3 legged dog, and they did a pretty good job of it, I think.

I blame the writer for this. SInce this was a DC product, it was presumably based on a -script which the artists were expected to follow (unless they collaborated with the writer for changes). The editor doesn't score points for this lack of effort either.

So, even though it is only a mediocre piece, it does have real entertainment value to me which makes it worth the price. That's not terrible. And, as a bonus, I'm even getting some zip-a-tone.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F5%2F1%2F3%2F22513653%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by Rick2you2