• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Here’s a neat little story on how I acquired these pieces for a board that apparently likes neat little stories… 

As I’ve posted before, I am a semi-serious fine artist/hobbyist painter guy.  I sold a piece in a recent online exhibition and since it was online shipping fell to me instead of the gallery.  So, the gallery sends me the name of the buyer and their address.  The name was “JM Dragunas” in Ohio.  Now, I stopped for about a second as the name triggered something very small in my mind.  But, I didn’t come to a complete stop and realize who this was.  Instead I went about packaging up the painting because I don’t like my patrons to wait long for their piece. 

When the painting arrived this “JM Dragunas” contacted me through Instagram and let me know it arrived safely and we got to chatting where I learned that he was apparently an illustrator.  I replied something to the effect of I love illustration, thanked him again for supporting my art, and wished him well.  It was at this point, right after clicking ‘send’ which ended the conversation, upon which the bell went off in my head and realized it was in fact Joe Dragunas (who has almost 200K followers on Instagram!) whose work I’ve admired.  I quickly wrote back saying that I had just realized who he was and that I was a fan.

We chatted some more and he proposed trading art.  So, here we have what he sent me in exchange for one of my 24” x 36” paintings.  He’s also throwing in an extra piece which he will be executing over the next month or so; the Witch King from Lord of the Rings!  I’ve not met him yet, but he sounds like just about the nicest guy one could ever meet.  And I really do hope to meet him one day.

Those are awesome but let's see the two paintings you did!

5 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Here’s a neat little story on how I acquired these pieces for a board that apparently likes neat little stories…

That's a neat little story! And yes, stories are great to share. We probably like them because we're all here as collectors of comic book art, and comic books themselves are neat little stories. Anyhow, that's cool! You made a new friend in an artist you're a fan of, and now he's a fan of yours as well. Good stuff all around.

5 hours ago, Andahaion said:

I’ve not met him yet, but he sounds like just about the nicest guy one could ever meet.  And I really do hope to meet him one day.

Joe and is wife are as nice a couple as you could hope to meet. I've enjoyed meeting them at several cons over the years. I supported his Kickstarter for "The Sires of Time" from many years ago.
image.png.ce74fce637542ea873baf3b0d4b0f2d0.png

Edited by alxjhnsn