• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, GreatEscape said:

Happy Memorial Day weekend folks!  

Something truly special to post... a magnificent splash from legendary French artist, Philippe Druillet!  Druillet revolutionized the comics narrative with "The Six Voyages of Lone Sloane" in 1972 and this is the opening splash from the first voyage "The Throne of the Black God" introducing the space-traveling Lone Sloane and-- you guessed it-- the mysterious Throne of the Black God!  A true pioneer of graphic storytelling, Druillet was one of the founders of Heavy Metal (“Métal Hurlant”) and revered as one of Europe's "Big 3" along with Moebius and Hergé.   Drawn with colossal scale (28" x 36" inches!), among the largest pen-and-ink OA ever created.  

Just a tad bigger than my scanner, so my daughter was happy to pose with it:  

Link

tRuHsYmR_2405200052551sbpi.jpg

Be safe, stay healthy and enjoy your long weekend!

You have a whole house vacuum.  (worship)

6 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

It’s Halloween week Boys and Ghouls!  Great time to post my Tomb of Dracula #42 cover (1976) by Colan and Palmer.   Only a handful of TOD covers with Blade— and none more dramatic— so this definitely ‘spiked’ my excitement!  

TOD 42

6hpjrub4_0305200939201sbpi.jpg

That's an awesome cover!

We are remodeling our house so clearly I need to spend more money on comic book art from a comic of which no one has heard. Yes, I have once again squandered a bit of the daughters' inheritance for my own pleasure.

This time it was from the second issue of Fairy Quest by Paul Jenkins (writer) and Humberto Ramos (artist).

Fairy Quest 1 and 2 were Kickstarted and later distributed by Boom! many years ago. It shares a basic premise with Fables and TV shows like Once Upon a Time where the realm of Fairy Tales is real.

In this case, it's run by a Mr. Grimm who requires the characters to do their story exactly the way it is written - over and over and over. Failure to comply leads to getting one's mind erased.

The story tells of Red Riding Hood and Woof, a wolf, trying to escape to the "Real World" wherever it may be, whatever it may be.

I was quite disappointed that there were only 2 issues and I waited a long time before giving up and filing them in the closet of no return.

This year things changed - Issue 3 was solicited on KS AND this page showed up in the NYCC charity auction. I bid and I won.

The other page had more action, but I like the scene setting - Red and Woof have come across a devastated town and are confronted by a very large minion of Mr. Grimm.

I've always liked Ramos' work especially on Impulse, but I like to get pieces with the artist's own IP if possible. This scratched an itch.

By the way, MultiversityComics has a great review that I link to the CAF Description. Click on the image.

image.thumb.png.de7907f40b730e8419345c66935fbfca.png