• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Hi folks, hope everyone is enjoying the ComicArtLive event and weekend!

Today, I'm posting a magnificent oil painting of Frank Frazetta's Conan and Barry Windsor Smith's Red Sonja by Michael C. Hayes, a talented award-winning fantasy artist best known for his Magic: The Gathering illustrations and painted book covers.  See the link for a more detailed image and background notes. Enjoy!

Conan and Red Sonja

627394474_ConanandRedSonjabyMCH.jpg.5528ce9417ef2ea5c774166af2bf6312.jpg

giphy.gif

On 11/4/2020 at 9:47 AM, RBerman said:

After getting my first fake Kirby last year, I'm pleased to now have a real Kirby.

8EwF51q.thumb.jpg.0788fccc9bcf85de2a4dfa1812c62b31.jpg

The dimensions are 10.5x15.5. Does that mean the margins were trimmed at some point? The cut-off writing to the right of the final panel would suggest so.

We were discussing in another thread how Kirby would start his fantastic machine drawings by making a matrix of letters and then connecting them. The back contains an example of experimentation along these lines, or perhaps just doodling with a phrase from Shakespeare.

WKZ5sAO.thumb.jpg.b12c164ba08021e5964daeb21d95800d.jpg

This light pencil notation appears at the top of the page back. I wonder which previous owner it was.

oc1tanq.thumb.jpg.08548ee8c93dbf9d1fca2a6a7e28c5f6.jpg

We've discussed before that Kirby's Superman figures were deemed too off-model for DC, so that they were redrawn by other hands. The third panel has a tiny, distant figure of Superman which is probably Kirby-penciled. The second panel shows some still-surviving Kirby pencils of Superman's face under the ink. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what artist ghosted and inked Superman's body and logo on this page? Al Plastino perhaps?

NpQhhh5.jpg.19991c978c7ec75b17dfc5c5e05cbe26.jpg

I have a bit of What If art that was inked by Sam Grainger, with that Shakespeare quote on the back, too, and in the same handwriting. Weird coincidence, but maybe that could be a clue that it was Grainger? Maybe that was something he sometimes did? F893D5E1-6FF3-4DC6-975C-CC4A3D0383D8.thumb.jpeg.b4d05ebfcfe4558be935a77761f439d5.jpeg

It's been a little while since I've posted here or to CAF! Have quite a few pieces left to share, but thought I'd start with these.

I've been a big fan of Marco Rudy's unique work ever since I randomly happened upon a page on CAF from his Bucky run. Each page is fully painted and completely eschews traditional paneling. I absolutely love these trippy, colorful Doctor Strange action pages from the 2014 New Avengers annual. I bought these to support Marco's recently funded Kickstarter. The Kickstarter is over now, but I definitely encourage you to check it out to see some more of Marco's work.

33257.jpg

33253.jpg