• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

Great stuff posted here...it's all so fun to look at.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm thrilled to announce that, over a year since I started payments, I've finally landed my first OA cover.  If you care to guess which cover it is, here are your clues (I will post the pic on Christmas night as the ultimate gift to myself!):

1.  Clue #1:  It's a Marvel superhero cover from the 1970's.

2.  Clue #2:  It's got six characters on it, including one A-list hero and one A-list villain

3.  Clue #3:  It's done by one of the most prolific cover artists of the era, alongside one of his favorite inkers (iirc)

4.  Clue #4:  The cover was part of one of the title's most memorable and fun multi-issue storylines

Guess if you like -- will post soon!  Thanks,

Dan

5 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:
Merry Christmas. I had a great one so far (it runs to the 6th (Epiphany) by the way) and I thought I'd share something unexpected.

I hired Thomas Zahler to take my story and turn it into a comic, i.e., he scripted and drew it. What was the story? It was about how I met and proposed to Kathy.

I've told that to bored audiences all over the world and now, thanks to Thom, it was documented in full color glory.

The deal was a fully digital comic, i.e., no original art for my collection. That's okay with me and it definitely less expensive than a hand drawn book.
However, he surprised me with the cover art as an Anniversary/Christmas present and that's what I'm posting.

Click the image to read Description on the CAF and you'll find links to Thom's site, the printer, the comic, the --script, and the story that I sent Thom. Enjoy!
image.thumb.png.abedc6caab33e9e946c2a25724686a99.png

Absolutely amazing, Alex! I'm impressed (to say the least).

Not many art purchases this year but at least I have kept Megan Levens busy with commissions. And since she (as many artists) suffered from a significant lack of income due to the cancelled convention circuit it seemed like a better way to spend my funds.

1369077370_harley2kommission_tumme.jpg.256771e804a4811f6659c7b645ceb213.jpg

Margot Robbie as the one and only Harleen Frances Quinzel a.k.a. Harley Quinn in the movie Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) was a totally pitch perfect performance! Just like she had walked out of the comic books and onto the screen.
Megan Levens share my opinion, and I think it shows in this beautifully rendered commission of Ms. Robbie as Harley on rollerskates and with her iconic mallet slung over her shoulder. Click on the picture for link to a bigger scan on CAF.

1356306846_elvirat-bird_tumme.jpg.296a1ecd04bd120f53fdcb8bfdcabaa8.jpg

Since Megan Levens knows her way around a "Squarebird" (the nickname for the 1958-1960 Ford Thunderbird) because it is the daily driver of the witches in her and Kate Leth's comic Spell On Wheels, she was my first choice for a commission of Elvira and her Macabre Mobile (a 1959 coupé with the roof removed and customized by the late, great George Barris). Again, click on the picture for link to a bigger scan on CAF.

3 hours ago, Caltex98 said:

Absolutely amazing, Alex! I'm impressed (to say the least).

It was a lot of fun. I gave copies to my comic dealer, @MrBedrock, and his GM, Michael Steenbergen. Kathy and I signed Mike's. When I decided to get my first ever comic graded as a lark, Richard when through the 20 or so that I had left and picked out two to grade. He sent them off as a gift. It will be fun to see how they turn out in the grading process. Of the 30 original copies, I have two left. A sellout!

On 12/25/2020 at 7:15 PM, Drummy said:

So here it is, a great Bronze Age cover by Gil Kane and Dan Adkins!  One of my favorite issues and storylines from my youth:

MTU 44 cover (clean).jpg

I see you finally posted on CAF. Please post more. Love to see everyone's collections and makes it easier to understand what everyone collects when reading their post on this board. Wish that each person's avatar section could link directly to CAF.

Great, great piece. Love Kane's work!!!!