• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

Had to skip San Diego this year, so I treated myself. Here's Simone Bianchi's variant cover to the upcoming Miracleman by Gaiman & Buckingham #1:

20tjf46.jpg

Marvel is restarting the numbering to Miracleman with #1 this September for the Gaiman/Buckingham run, as they will be completing "Golden Age", which was left unfinished due to the folding of Eclipse. This Bianchi piece is the only cover from the Marvel run I feel approaches any of the artistic heights seen in the 1980s series, drawing on an intricate depiction of Miracleman's Mount Olympus and what looks to be a nod to Moebius along the way.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1240341

[font:Book Antiqua]Sweet..![/font]

:luhv:

And a Gene Colan Daredevil page from issue #37 - fighting Dr. Doom!

A206F1D2-8E53-40CC-A407-FC69AA9857FB_zpsj8myqfqr.jpg

I really like this page a lot congratulations. :applause: I also like that deadman page.

Thanks! I was really excited to get it. Had all the elements I was looking for

And a Gene Colan Daredevil page from issue #37 - fighting Dr. Doom!

A206F1D2-8E53-40CC-A407-FC69AA9857FB_zpsj8myqfqr.jpg

I really like this page a lot congratulations. :applause: I also like that deadman page.

Thanks! I was really excited to get it. Had all the elements I was looking for

Out of all of them you posted the DD is what stood out for me too, nice grab!

Finally got a 5-day pass to SDCC again. For the past few years, we have been able to go only one day and that was only because an artist friend would get me in with a guest pass for the day.

While my comic collection is gone, I still add the occasional art piece, but I clearly didn't plan for what I did in San Diego. I spent much more than I had ever thought I would in a weekend and came back with some pieces I am truly happy with. (It also shows the danger of going to a con and not having a plan.)

PREVIEW NIGHT

We are inside for about 2 minutes before I come across David W Miller, an artist whose work I always like and feel is undervalued. I flipped through his books and picked up a piece for me and a piece for my dad, who is a Blackhawk fan (not the Chicago kind).

David%20W%20Miller%20Kong%20and%20Woman_zpslun0hkex.jpg David%20W%20Miller%20Lady%20Blackhawk_zpsxxxrkwbw.jpg

Five minutes later, I see Sara Richard and tell my wife that I think she will like Sara's great work with all the wonderful colors. Sara pulls out her original art book and we like just about everything we see, but when we come across the full story for a just-published comic, my wife falls in love with it. So I end up buying the eight-page wedding story. Very pretty work.

Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p1_zpsx8s0nfae.jpg

th_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p2_zpsz89tnrlf.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p3_zpswwacmfsn.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p4_zpszewkysck.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p5_zpsorsy1u73.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p6_zpsmhouwohp.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p7_zpsddzrddfk.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p8_zpsc01hfqct.jpg

10 minutes in and my expected expenses for the trip were gone.

THURSDAY

The next day, my wife left me alone. (I think she learned her lesson.) I was flipping through the huge number of random pages Anthony's Comic Art has at their booth and they pull out Greg Land's Gambit #3 when I mention my affinity for playing card covers. I had seen it for sale previously, but when we start talking prices, they come down enough to get me to buy my first cover. Had I made a budget, it would now be obliterated.

For me, this is a great piece. Love the detail and the images.

Greg%20Land%20Gambit%203%20Cover%202004_zpse3zxa2ci.jpg

FRIDAY

We spent most of the day waiting in line for Hall H. (Much cheaper than going into the Exhibition Hall.) However, we did go back to Anthony's to pick up two pages featuring dogs that I knew my wife would like. They are drawn by "The Tribe," so it could be Tony DeZuniga, Ernie Chan, or one of many other artists who might have been part of that group. The first is from Marvel Classics Robinson Crusoe and the other from Marvel Classics White Fang.

The%20Tribe%20Marvel%20Classic%20Comics%2032%20White%20Fang%20p%2041_zpsmbubwtyv.jpg

The%20Tribe%20Marvel%20Classic%20Comics%2019%20Robinson%20Crusoe%20p.%2017_zpsovc5iiqq.jpg

SUNDAY

After a fun and inexpensive day in Hall H, we just dropped into the convention on Sunday to allow the friend we were with to check out some Bill Sienkiewicz art. I have been a fan of his since the early '80s, but luckily nothing caught my eye. My friend bought a nicely priced sketch and got to meet with Bill.

Then as we passed the Alex Ross table yet again, I decided to flip through the one book I hadn't flipped through before. So many great pieces, but when I saw the Tec 27 homage, I knew I was in trouble. My wife loved it as well. When he gave me the price, I figured I was safe. It was one of the few pages not marked with a price, but I was hopeful it was a $4k page. It wasn't, so I decided it was out of range. It being Sunday, and me looking like an easy mark, it was only a matter of minutes before we had it worked out and I was the proud owner of an Alex Ross original painting, something I never expected to add to my collection. It really is a great piece for me with my love of the Golden Age and Ross' work.

I am one very broke, very happy man after this year's con.

I am also hopeful this will get me to come back to these boards more often to interact with people here. I have been gone too long and I missed those connections.

Alex%20Ross%20Shadow%2025%20cover%20Tec%2027%20homage_zpsuyplaqng.jpg

Five minutes later, I see Sara Richard and tell my wife that I think she will like Sara's great work with all the wonderful colors. Sara pulls out her original art book and we like just about everything we see, but when we come across the full story for a just-published comic, my wife falls in love with it. So I end up buying the eight-page wedding story. Very pretty work.

th_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p2_zpsz89tnrlf.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p3_zpswwacmfsn.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p4_zpszewkysck.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p5_zpsorsy1u73.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p6_zpsmhouwohp.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p7_zpsddzrddfk.jpgth_Sara%20Richard%20Virtigo%20Quarterly%20SFX%20POP%20p8_zpsc01hfqct.jpg

Not someone I've heard of, but I really like the art. (thumbs u

Finally got a 5-day pass to SDCC again. For the past few years, we have been able to go only one day and that was only because an artist friend would get me in with a guest pass for the day.

While my comic collection is gone, I still add the occasional art piece, but I clearly didn't plan for what I did in San Diego. I spent much more than I had ever thought I would in a weekend and came back with some pieces I am truly happy with. (It also shows the danger of going to a con and not having a plan.)

PREVIEW NIGHT

We are inside for about 2 minutes before I come across David W Miller, an artist whose work I always like and feel is undervalued. I flipped through his books and picked up a piece for me and a piece for my dad, who is a Blackhawk fan (not the Chicago kind).

David%20W%20Miller%20Kong%20and%20Woman_zpslun0hkex.jpg David%20W%20Miller%20Lady%20Blackhawk_zpsxxxrkwbw.jpg

Great story!! It reminded me of my first few SanDiego Cons in the mid eighties. I would work all summer just for the con and blow like 85% of my cash within the first few hours!! I guess I learned my haggling and trading skills from all the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th days of the con.

Thanks for sharing!

A Barry Smith Conan page from issue #10

A280FD0E-8034-41A0-8085-7B340491963F_zpso1e1nlmp.jpg

Amazing!! Well done sir! It looks pretty clean for a BWS page too!

And you are right. I saw a couple of other nice BWS Conan pages at the show, but some of them had white out in key areas that was off-putting. This one didn't so I scooped it up