• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,747 posts in this topic

It's been a busy 8 days for me. I've picked up art at Amazing! Houston Comic Con, Alamo City Comic Con, and a signing at my LCS, Bedrock City Comic Company.

In reverse order, here are the pickups:

Mike Grell visited my LCS and I snagged a nice piece featuring the LSH Founders. I'm really glad I did. It was good talking to him a bit and the drawing really makes me smile. I wasn't sure that I wanted to get something other than his autograph, but decided to do it when I saw him doing a piece for someone else. Click to embiggen:

J6J7NdM0_1209152000211.jpg

My other pickup this weekend (at Alamo City Comic Con 2015) was another finished character (Jackie Johnson) on my Sgt. Rock piece. Billy Tucci was thrilled to add to the jam. He's a big fan of Joe Kubert and I think that was a factory. Click to embiggen:

aQpd6zYR_1209152015541.jpg

Kathy also made an original art purchase at ACCC 2015. She picked up a Jessica von Braun, a.k.a., Jessica Grundy, Belle. It's a lovely pen & ink with watercolor. Jessica is a real talent and her art will be showcased at the PoP Gallery at Downtown Disney (Orlando). It's great to see her succeed.

kzv9vzcm_1209151934481.jpg

Earlier, I visited with Howard Chaykin and even covered his table for a few minutes. I think that invitation was a ploy to get me to spend more time looking at the art he brought with him. :) He had a number of scraps/pre-lims and many/most/all of them were interesting. Lots of model sheets with interesting period clothing and brief action scenes. One of the really inexpensive pieces caught my eye. I was at my budget limit or I'd have picked up a few more. Here's what I did bring home, click to embiggen.

9iSslJKE_0809151106221.jpg

Does anyone recognize it or the character. I think it's from Black Kiss.

Another AHCC pickup, was the original art for a cute web comic - Charmy's Army. It's a cute humor strip. Check out my sample and visit the website to read the entire thing. Heck, join Davy's Patreon account for a buck and support him. Here's the piece I bought: Click to embiggen.

6hqixgSV_1209152142311.jpg

My final pickup, also from AHCC, was a Harley Quinn by Chad Hardin. It was an impulse buy. I got to spend some time with Chad and he's a good guy as well as a good artist. The scan isn't very good, but the art is fine. If you meet him at a con, go by and say hi. Click to embiggen.

nbq9iZHD_0809151324371.jpg

my first original comic book art purchases :) Nothing special, but I am happy with them. A page of Avengers and a Batman and Robin page.

Avengers Assemble Featuring Captain Citrus 2 pg 1:

Avengers%20Assemble%202%20Florida%20Dept%20of%20Citrus%20variant%20pg%201_zpsnxyhr8ot.jpg

Worlds' Finest (2012 3rd series) Annual 1 pg 11:

Worlds%20Finest%20Annual%201%20pg%2011_zpswu2ewf0u.jpg

Cool stuff! (thumbs u

Turning back the calendar 35 years....

Here's a vintage Defenders calendar plate with classic images of Dr. Strange, Hulk and Sub-Mariner published in Marvel's "The Occult World of Dr. Strange" 1980 calendar (released in 1979). Keith Pollard with sweeeeet Joe Sinnott inks on oversized 19" x 19" artboard.

1LbpZoVq_0502141049261.jpg

"The Occult World of Dr. Strange" Marvel

Calendar Plate (1979)

I picked these up at Cincycomicon last weekend, just took me a while to get over here and post (the nerve of my employers expecting me to WORK for my paycheck!)

I've met Evan Dorkin a couple of times, the first being DragonCon back in '97, and then again at SDCC in '98. He's a super nice guy and I'm a long time fan of his stuff. I'd gotten some sketches and commissions in the past, but never had a published page by him. Planned on setting that right at CCC this year, and am happy with my pickups.

Advance apologies for the dim pics.

First off, everyone needs a Milk & Cheese page! I'd love to get a one-page some day, but in the meantime I was happy with the number of gags on this one.

r712qf.jpg

My actual favorite Dorkin series was his long-running "Dork". I always loved the "Fun" strip pages. you can't beat the gag density. WARNING, not for the easily offended/humorless:

vsfm12.jpg

Finally, I don't normally do sketches or commissions anymore, as my tastes moved primarily to published pages. But Chris Burnham was knocking out $40 5-minute sketches, so I couldn't pass it up. Really dig this Damian he did for me.

2e52h5h.jpg

That's all for now!