• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,747 posts in this topic

Here's my modest collection:

100 Bullets

9L49EOAS_0903140957101.jpg

What a beauty. I love Johnson's stuff, have been thinking about trying to pick up a cover for a while now. Gorgeous stuff.

He is the most consistently great cover artist of the last 20 years.

I would consider a cover as well but look at the difficulty this piece presents. It is friggin' magnificent, just stunning in subject and execution. But if I want a Dave Johnson cover I might want pen and ink with more elements in the composition as Dave's sense of cover design is masterful. But how can you pass up something like this if you are a buyer looking for a Dave Johnson cover? I have been condensing my own collection but were I in the market for a DJ cover, and I may be at some point, paralysis might ensue when trying to decide which one to get.

And I might PM you Owlser! :applause: Like I said, a great great piece. It is provocative in so many ways. I have a 2 computer set-up and the wife is next to me now and I asked her about the painting and she wanted to know if her side is pierced as well!

Sorry for the quality of some of the scans and this is only a fraction of my black hole.

I had Mike Royer draw this based on Jack Kirby's FF storyboard for the Saturday morning cartoon and inspired by a Sunday Daily cartoon strip:

image_zps1nmalk7w.jpeg

Jack Kirby FF storyboard:

image_zps4u20fsqj.png

Kirby pencils and Meskin inks (Boys Ranch #4, The Bugle Blows at Bloody Knife):

image_zpsrpkefpsa.png

Siegel and Shuster Funnyman #2 (drawn by Shuster):

image_zpsevlvtfzg.png

14.jpg

Shuster:

image_zpsj91wtaun.jpeg

Garcia Lopez (used for a Superman poster, but can't find the published piece):

image_zpstzwtopyn.jpeg

Bob Kane:

image_zpskrcs8wvd.jpeg

Infantino (Flash 135), inked by Giella:

image_zps4tv1u23r.jpeg

Batman of Two Worlds, Tribute to Julius Schwartz (inked by Giella):

image_zpsreacuugc.jpeg

image_zps3csgwcqq.jpeg

Ron Wilson - Mighty World of Marvel 150 Cover:

image_zpsxn9wtlcp.jpeg

Lee and Williams (Hush) Batman 610:

image_zpswxkbgj5d.png

DKIII #1:

First time we see Carrie revealed to be Batman:

image_zpspmtfxq3j.jpeg

Kubert Original pencils, eventually inked over by Janson:

image_zpsxwb28tbg.jpeg

image_zps8bqkj4nh.png

Ordway (From 1993 Heroes World Collectors Set, the original art for the bookplate designed for the set, it was limited edition):

image_zpsm3odej7k.jpeg

McFarlane (ASM 308 - during McFarlanes Classic Spiderman run):

image_zpsecjffx8c.png

Plastino - Superman 201 (last golden age superman comic):

image_zpsok4il80p.png

Pencils (both are originals and separate):

image_zps38gamv1r.jpeg

Inked (original and not inked over the pencils, Al redid it):

7b316e60-083f-4556-8022-b2da4352ba99_zpsnkjes9ky.png

Russ Heath:

image_zpsv2kegg3r.jpeg

Based on this cover:

image_zpsskdfb7wl.jpeg

Edited by Captain Canuck

I saw him post it on Facebook. He said it was his last gray tone work for a while. Also, Jason is using your Scalera as the painted example. Stunning commissions!

Thanks man! I just checked out Jason's Facebook page, he hated the piece :) I updated my CAF page to include his comments, they're really fascinating. And apparently this is the last grey marker commission he plans to do.

Two fun pickups:

First appearance of The Squid (Detective 497) by Don Newton:

IMG_2306_zpsug81cdse.jpg

And I had never even looked at a color guide before, but the opportunity to pick up an early YTLM issue where I had a page of OA was too good to pass up:

IMG_2295_zpswufph3wr.jpg

IMG_2297_zpsxzkrx6zs.jpg

Just won a page by Tom Sutton and Sonny Trinidad from 1978 - it's a fun page to rekindle my childhood dreams of underwater (sci-fi) worlds :cloud9:

- And I do love how the page also displays scientific fascination, like when we observe something we cannot explain for the first time:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1308870

BTW, Bill Mantlo was the writer. I think his words are just as important as the art. Without text to support and explain the art this piece would not mean much to me.

Maybe too little credit is often given to the writers hm Does a cover artist draw a cover without first consulting the writer(s) or the editor(s) ? - Guess that's what I love about published comic art, it's rarely the work of one person, but teamwork - or it might be said, published comic art has been through intensive peer-review! ;)

I added another John Bolton X-men page from the Arcade story!

CAF Link

Malvin

Love it. This story really disturbed me when I was a kid, but I just kept rereading it!

My package from Spencer finally showed up this weekend, huzzah! I was pursuing as many pages from Uncanny Avengers #14 as I could get my hands on. It's my favorite issue from one of my favorite recent-ish runs.

I was apparently beaten to the punch on several pages, but here's what I was able to grab. Apologies for the blurrier pics.

Pg 4

313qi5d.jpg

5/6 DPS

f0ygc5.jpg

Pg 22 Death of Scarlet Witch

m8z7fd.jpg

And now that I have these, I can post the page that Malvin was kind enough to hook me up with , which arrived a couple of weeks ago. Love it!

2vt49ll.jpg

If anyone else was lucky enough to pick up pages from this issue, and are looking to sell, let me know! I've got a big tax bill going out this week, but should be in the market to buy again pretty soon!

I saw him post it on Facebook. He said it was his last gray tone work for a while. Also, Jason is using your Scalera as the painted example. Stunning commissions!

Thanks man! I just checked out Jason's Facebook page, he hated the piece :) I updated my CAF page to include his comments, they're really fascinating. And apparently this is the last grey marker commission he plans to do.

It's a great piece. Remind me of the piece he did for me of Emma