• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,742 posts in this topic

Just posted on CAF a piece which I consider a 'guilty pleasure' kind of a piece;
It was created in the early years of the Travis Charest's career, before his art had fully bloomed into his own,
unique and critically acclaimed style.

Still, as much as I love his more mature, later artwork, it was these early works of his that made me a fan:
http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1404469

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Edited by Gal Schwartz

I just absolutely LOVE cryptic art day posts.  :news:

:news:  No, wait, no I don't  :news: 

If you're going to take the time to do an art day post (and copy and paste it to every forum you visit) please add a little info.  Title, artist, page type, SOMETHING.  Unless, of course, it's a sad attempt to get on the 'most views' list and being vague is the only way to accomplish that. In that case continue to post the "I got something by someone with some stuff on it" links  meh

23 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

If you're going to take the time to do an art day post (and copy and paste it to every forum you visit) please add a little info.  Title, artist, page type, SOMETHING.  Unless, of course, it's a sad attempt to get on the 'most views' list and being vague is the only way to accomplish that. In that case continue to post the "I got something by someone with some stuff on it" links  meh

Point taken, post fixed :$.

Edited by Gal Schwartz

On 6/27/2017 at 3:33 PM, mister_not_so_nice said:

I personally like adding an image in the post itself.  The new boards make it easier than ever.

I also enjoy having the link as seeing one piece of art gets me curious what else a person collects.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:06 PM, Gal Schwartz said:
Just posted on CAF a piece which I consider a 'guilty pleasure' kind of a piece;
It was created in the early years of the Travis Charest's career, before his art had fully bloomed into his own,
unique and critically acclaimed style.

Still, as much as I love his more mature, later artwork, it was these early works of his that made me a fan:

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Congrats on another Charest piece!

3 hours ago, Infamouspure22 said:

Happy to add this classic 80's Byrne piece to my collection:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1405097

FE4dcQmQ_3006171626421gpauxiu.jpg.3ca476315cf918ca6dc89fde44adb971.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!
PA

Only way to go from here in colllecting is downhill.  This one is the mother of all great pieces. Its uncanny, fantastic, amazing... you know it!

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

Only way to go from here in colllecting is downhill.  This one is the mother of all great pieces. Its uncanny, fantastic, amazing... you know it!

Thanks so much for the kind words! I feel very fortunate to acquire it :)

Edited by Infamouspure22

DDqcw8PXYAQiwOt.jpg

Kind of an impulse buy. Offered for sale here on the boards and I jumped on it. Then the next week I bought a huuuuuuge comic book collection, so if I had purchased the collection first I probably would have held off. But glad it worked out the way it did. Thanks Dave!

Bought off HA a few weeks back.  I love it.  Purchased it for a steal.  My oldest OA I have (early  commission)

Creator of Tracy:

Chester Gould - Tracy Sketch Original Art in Big Little Book #W-707 (Whitman Publishing, c. 1930s) Condition: FR. The Big Little Book #W-707 "The Adventures of Tracy" is the very first Big Little Book. Overstreet lists it as "Scarce". To make this one even more scarce, it has a fantastic Tracy original art sketch on the inside front cover and a personalized signature by his creator Chester Gould on the fly page. Larry Lowrey's 2007 Golden Age of Big Little Booksreference guide states that this book was "...published just before Christmas of 1932. Evidence of the release time is found in two authenticated autographed copies of the book, given to the children of friends of Chester Gould at Christmas. Autographed copies are ultra rare." This book itself is in Fair condition, with a broken spine, corner wear, a loose last page, and other signs of wear. 

Tracy is an American comic strip featuring  Tracy (originally Plainclothes Tracy),[1] a tough and intelligent police detective created by Chester Gould. The strip made its debut on October 4, 1931 in the Detroit Mirror.

After one year after being created,  this is the earliest known non-comic strip illustrations created and signed by the creator.  This book is a hand drawn sketch of Tracy on a very early Whitman Tracy book. There are only two (2) known books with a sketch, this is one of the books.

lf-4.jpeg

On 29.6.2017 at 6:43 AM, Panelfan1 said:

Congrats on another Charest piece!

Thank you !

With current prices of the Charest market, It's probably my FINAL Charest piece (though that's what I thought the last time...?).

I could possibly have bought a decent cover or two for the cost of that trading cards triptych, but I don't regret it (for now)...

And here is the image, finally figured it really is easy enough to post it in the new boards format:

LEhYMBAO_2706171103571sbpi.jpg

Edit: somehow, the image size and resolution were reduced, so I still need to get a better handle of it, full size can still be viewed here:

Edited by Gal Schwartz

Added the first appearance of Ch'p (Green Lantern of Sector 1014, and also a squirrel...) to the collection. As a Don Newton fan, it was really cool to add this first appearance to two others that I have by Newton: the first full appearance of Nocturna and first appearance of The Squid. All three shown here! 

IMG_4210.JPG

Edited by Sideshow Bob
grammar

10 hours ago, Gal Schwartz said:

A Joe Madureira cover from 1998;

never thought I could ever possibly have one in my collection (let alone a cover this good, IMO of course ?):

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1405506&GSub=183834

Already marked on CAF - but let me say it here. A truly fantastic find.  Move over j. Scott.  Mad did a great job on this one.