• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,744 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Timely said:

I love this strong image of Magneto... as well as the dead hand rising from the water

CAF link for those who wish to comment: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1405726

Such a great piece!! Fondness memories for me ?

I was digging through some old stuff in search of a DVD and I randomly found some con sketches from the 90s (1998?).

Erik Larsen - Openface

rLwR7RK.jpg

Stuart Immonen - Superman

nL4fsOV.jpg

Mystery Artist? - Deadpool

nx2Qoqi.jpg

I know con sketches aren't a big deal. I'm mainly posting these in hopes that someone can help me ID the Deadpool artist. I'm not really a Marvel or Deadpool fan. I did some quick research, but couldn't figure out who did this.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:09 AM, Panelfan1 said:

Already marked on CAF - but let me say it here. A truly fantastic find.  Move over j. Scott.  Mad did a great job on this one.

Couldn't have said it better myself;
What I really liked, except for the amazing details (more than in most none-Battle Chasers covers),
was that Joe Mad gave each of the girls a different body type and specific facial features,
while still staying true to his trademark, manga-influenced style.

Frank Cho did a tremendous One Minute Later commission and I couldn't be happier. He is a super illustrator and it shows in this piece.  http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1406060

I opened Bleeding Cool today and found an article about the piece -- here:  https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/04/batman-swamp-thing-frank-cho-cover/ .  Very kind words about the piece and my theme.  Totally unexpected but neat. Anyway, I figured I should get the piece up in the gallery -- hope you like it.

I went back and forth on if I should upload this yet as I wont be able to pick the piece until the end of the month, though I will probably wait till I have it in hand before I post to CAF.  But since I just paid it off, what the heck!  Most I've ever paid for a collectible, but love the character, artist, and pretty sure this is the largest collection of Venoms in any single piece!!

Venomverse #1 - #5 Clayton Crain connecting covers

edit - wonder why the pic posted so small.  The file is 3.1 mb.  I guess it's because it's so wide.

Venomverse original.jpg

Edited by Sooners151

1 hour ago, Sooners151 said:

I went back and forth on if I should upload this yet as I wont be able to pick the piece until the end of the month, though I will probably wait till I have it in hand before I post to CAF.  But since I just paid it off, what the heck!  Most I've ever paid for a collectible, but love the character, artist, and pretty sure this is the largest collection of Venoms in any single piece!!

Venomverse #1 - #5 Clayton Crain connecting covers

edit - wonder why the pic posted so small.  The file is 3.1 mb.  I guess it's because it's so wide.

Venomverse original.jpg

Well the small image annoyed me so I went ahead and uploaded to CAF.  

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1406143&GSub=182397

Finally received these two pages from the recent Jon Berk auction at ComicConnect! This was my first time dealing with CC, and I have to say it was a top-notch buying experience. Good customer service and the most well-packaged art I've ever received!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerynew.asp?GCat=3878

I uploaded a Mike Allred Madman painting.  As mentioned in the description, if anyone knows where this was used, let me know!  If anyone here is also on statue forums, please ask there for me too, I assume people there are likely to know :)

CAF Link

Malvin

The pose is definitely of the Madman statue sculpted by Randy Bowen, but it's not the box art. I've got the statue and box in storage downstairs. The box art was a line art drawing that Laura Allred colored. Not a painting.

Simon (gotsuperpowers) might know?

Edited by ESeffinga

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

The pose is definitely of the Madman statue sculpted by Randy Bowen, but it's not the box art. I've got the statue and box in storage downstairs. The box art was a line art drawing that Laura Allred colored. Not a painting.

Simon (gotsuperpowers) might know?

Thanks, already asked Simon way back and Allred wasn't 100% sure.  Everyone seems to say that it was the statue pose so it looks like it was the reference used to create the statue.

Malvin

On July 8, 2017 at 7:37 AM, malvin said:

Thanks, already asked Simon way back and Allred wasn't 100% sure.  Everyone seems to say that it was the statue pose so it looks like it was the reference used to create the statue.

Malvin

The image also has striking similarity to a Madman T-Shirt Mike Allred put out in 1994. I found this image in Madman Comics #3 (Dark Horse, 1994). It's already tough enough to see the details on the ad, even tougher in a lo-res pic, but some obvious differences are the background, variations on the line work, and, is that Madman's hair blowing in the wind? Maybe this is a separate drawing or the T-shirt company modified the artwork in your possession with airbrushing or something. A Madman trading card set was also released in 1993, so depending on when the original artwork was created, I don't see why this image wouldn't have been included. I've never seen all the cards in the set so I couldn't tell ya. Hope this helps.

Madman tee.JPG

37 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

The image also has striking similarity to a Madman T-Shirt Mike Allred put out in 1994. I found this image in Madman Comics #3 (Dark Horse, 1994). It's already tough enough to see the details on the ad, even tougher in a lo-res pic, but some obvious differences are the background, variations on the line work, and, is that Madman's hair blowing in the wind? Maybe this is a separate drawing or the T-shirt company modified the artwork in your possession with airbrushing or something. A Madman trading card set was also released in 1993, so depending on when the original artwork was created, I don't see why this image wouldn't have been included. I've never seen all the cards in the set so I couldn't tell ya. Hope this helps.

Madman tee.JPG

That helps a lot Jay, thanks for all the info!

Malvin