• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

Couple of YTLM pages, including one that I sold and had to buy back years later:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1410518

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1410519

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1410520

When you have a writer like Vaughn, 1/2 of the enjoyment of the series is the word-smithing, therefore I prefer the issues with the word balloons written on the page or stat-ed on...these are all pre-digital lettering.

5 hours ago, Timely said:

:news::news::news::news::news::news::news::news:

This comic has a very important personal history for me. The first comics ever bought for me were from my mother. She bought me a triple pack of GI Joe #21-23. The very next chance I got I rode my bike to the corner 7-11 with my $2.50 allowance. After about 30 minutes looking at their spinner racks, I made my 3 choices... Thing #13, ROM #56 & JLA #227. I was pretty into Dungeons & Dragons which is why JLA #227 was an easy decision for my first choice. I picked the Thing #13 due to the cool monster on the cover & then ROM because I thought ROM was a robot.

Anyway, being the first comic I personally picked off the stands, JLA #227 has a spot in my heart no other comic will ever have. Never in my wildest dreams did ever think 33 years later I would own the original art to one of the first comics I ever had. :)

CAF link for those of you who would like to make a comment.  http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1410513

I've never read this book and I have no familiarity with this era of JLA or Chuck Patton's work, but that cover's just about perfect.  It pretty much embodies everything that I think of as a comic book.  That it holds such deep personal meaning only makes it that much better.  Stories like this are what make this hobby so much fun (as long as your favorite book isn't my favorite book, that is).

Edited by rocket1312

Kathy and I made our pilgrimage to San Diego last week. We've been to lots of cons (Boston, Heroes, MegaCon, Dallas, Alamo City, Comicpalooza, ECCC, Rose City, etc.), but never SDCC. It conflicts with our stay on the Guadalupe River in Central Texas and it's a hassle to get tickets and rooms. That changed thanks to a (rather large) Kickstarter pledge to the CBLDF and a room from my friend Thom Zahler. With that, we were in business.

Initially, we went just to explore the scene and pick up a few autographs in my Stan Sakai tribute book (17!). I thought I'd visit the art dealers and AA. I didn't expect to spend much; we had a wedding this year!

However, those plans grew more ambitious when IDW offered dinner with Walt and Louise Simonson. The dinner included a number of perks besides their company. One of those was an inked “headshot” by Walt. Wow, did that understate what he delivered. Read the Descriptions to learn about our adventure. Also, I think Kathy got the best piece at the dinner.

Odin by Walt Simonson:

Odin by Walt Simonson

Maleficent by Walt Simonson: http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1410647

Maleficent by Walt Simonson

However, our art buying did not end there. We went to the CBLDF Art Auction where there were many wonderful pieces. You can read a bit about it here and see the auction results: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1400584193504897/permalink/2001007876795856/# 

We managed to win a terrific piece by the Eisner winning Jill Thompson (3 at this year’s Eisner Awards Show; 2 for her WW graphic novel). You can read about her win and see some interesting pictures on this link:

Jill Thompson’s Wonder Woman:  

1dtAdoQ1_2607171538021gpadd.jpg

There's a little more art to come. Kathy started a sketchbook. To get a feel for how big a deal that is, read this: https://thebuzzmagazines.com/articles/2013/10/still-crazy-comics.

Okay, there are two new in progress sketchbooks up on the CAF (and I've reorganized my galleries).

The new index page on my CAF page: 

Kathy's sketchbook: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=184351

Rebecca's sketchbook: http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=184352

Both are ordered to match the sketchbook.

I strongly, strongly recommend that you check out the Electra piece that Joe Rubinstein did. It was exactly what she wanted in the book.

Rebecca's first piece (Joffrey on the Iron Throne) has an interesting story be sure to read the Description.

11 hours ago, Timely said:

:news::news::news::news::news::news::news::news:

This comic has a very important personal history for me. The first comics ever bought for me were from my mother. She bought me a triple pack of GI Joe #21-23. The very next chance I got I rode my bike to the corner 7-11 with my $2.50 allowance. After about 30 minutes looking at their spinner racks, I made my 3 choices... Thing #13, ROM #56 & JLA #227. I was pretty into Dungeons & Dragons which is why JLA #227 was an easy decision for my first choice. I picked the Thing #13 due to the cool monster on the cover & then ROM because I thought ROM was a robot.

Anyway, being the first comic I personally picked off the stands, JLA #227 has a spot in my heart no other comic will ever have. Never in my wildest dreams did ever think 33 years later I would own the original art to one of the first comics I ever had. :)

CAF link for those of you who would like to make a comment.  http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1410513

jla227coverA.jpg

Awesome find.   Always great to add something that hits that nostalgic sweet spot.  :applause:

Joining the SD Simonson parade except my art is not directly related to the dinner (I would have gone if I was at SD, and even ditch Brian and the OA dinner to be at the Simonson dinner!)

But I got this Simsonson X-Factor page indirectly via SD so I am pleased!  Thanks to everyone who helped me get this

CAF Link

Thanks for looking

Malvin 

On 7/26/2017 at 7:40 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Were they from one of his outside-continuity books? He said he may start selling those.

A buddy sent me pics of the pages Stan had for sale at SDCC.

They were unpublished Usagi pages, as well as the published pages for the Six Guns intro by Stan (these pages featured Stan and Usagi) . But no published Usagi comics pages.

As far as I know, there are only two in private collections (one is a friend of Stan, and the other offered a crazy amount of money).

10 hours ago, malvin said:

(I would have gone if I was at SD, and even ditch Brian and the OA dinner to be at the Simonson dinner!)

Malvin 

Just fyi - your name came up at the art dinner  and only good things were said. So its too bad you would ditch your pals for an artist. Ha ha.

The xfactor page is great btw!

Also worth mentioning - mitch had an awesome xfactor dps or poster art by quesada. Should you care.

20 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Just fyi - your name came up at the art dinner  and only good things were said. So its too bad you would ditch your pals for an artist. Ha ha.

The xfactor page is great btw!

Also worth mentioning - mitch had an awesome xfactor dps or poster art by quesada. Should you care.

heh, glad to here that I was at the art dinner in spirit even though I could not make it in person!

thanks for the info about the Joe Q X-factor, I'm more of a Simonson fan not an X-factor fan so no interest in the Joe Q one. (I do like Joe Q DD and Spidey pages though)

Malvin

For back to back years William Stout and Lee Kohse were the artists who grabbed my attention at the San Diego Comic Con. I also picked up a couple of those Neal Adams portraits that he was selling below his usual rates. 

597c0cbced8fa_LeeKohse-BuiltonHopeconceptart.thumb.jpg.4f8a0a24499eb496051dd9e533a37e42.jpg

597c0cb1edb87_WilliamStout-MightyJoeYoung.thumb.jpg.72f51350b2f339ec644b24053a8e62bd.jpg

Edited by PokerKid

Currently in the process of adding eight JEFF HAWKE dailies (famous UK newspaper strip) to my CAF.

Here's an interesting addition from the 1975 story, 'Heir Apparent'.

Interestingly, Brian Bolland (along with Paul Neary) contibuted artwork for this particular serial. This daily immediately precedes a number of strips that appear to have noticeable Bolland input. No idea if he had any involvement on this one . . . I think not, but I'm not 100% sure as I'm no Bolland expert?

Artist Sydney Jordan recollects . . .

"The idea of showing the aliens in a domestic situation had always appealed to me and His Excellency seemed a good choice in that I had, on previous occasion, mentioned his longing to retire to the family's manorial silo (!) on Procyon IV. This story was done for syndication and marked the boundary between the Hawke of twenty years standing and the re-vamping of my Lance McLane strip to allow the sales.

Readers will note another hand at work, that of Paul Neary, who had been working with me on McLane. There is even a short sequence drawn by none other than Brian Bolland, famous for his covers to American comic books. See if you can spot it! These were two heavyweights and I was both lucky and flattered to have them help me."

H6459.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Seeing Meeleys post about a gift to his wife, inspired me to post what literally this morning I gave to my wife, basically as a big thank you for putting up with my nutty TMNT fandom all these years. Her first piece of OA. Used in 1989 in a kid's Valentines card pack. 

This is coming on the heels of two huge pickups for my personal collection from '85s TMNT #3:

TMNT 3 Page 1

TMNT 3 Page 3

Anyways, she loved it! 

Screenshot_20170729-100644.jpg

20170729_110723.jpg