• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,756 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

I was just able to add a cool Uncanny X-Men page.  It's from issue 223 which is credited to Kerry Gammill, but from when I saw it, I thought it looked too much like Silvestri.

When I got the page in hand, found it had his name on the back.  Email'd Silvestri with an image of the page, and he confirmed that he did it.

http://cafurl.com?i=22976

Nice score. I was following that one and thought the same thing but didn't push to win the auction. My mistake!

Sometimes it pays off to be in good graces with the artists (and acting FAST). There was at least one more collector on the prowl for this:

59b43a7ecc400_DJSIInRXcAAwqTc1.jpg.203562ca190104a197df472856140ec0.jpg

The B-cover for the upcoming Die Kitty Die Christmas Special #1. Pencilled by Fernando Ruiz and beautifully inked by Rich Koslowski. I apologize for the quality of the photo. It was taken with my Nokia C2-01 cellphone out of necessity (instead of the Canon Rebel T3i I usually use). Click on the picture for a better scan (and the color version) in my Fernando Ruiz CAF gallery.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:59 PM, RabidFerret said:

Long ago I got a gig as a Production Assistant on a movie shooting in Cleveland. Office work, errands, copying scripts, etc.

The movie was about a comic I'd never heard of called "American Splendor", some indie thing from the 70s that was big in Cleveland. The writer got on Letterman. Crumb did some art for it. The movie was gonna star Pig Vomit from the Howard Stern movie.

For a month of preproduction I did PA work, running errands, picking people up, and making photocopies. Mixed in, I doodled, constantly aping more of the Crumb art surrounding me. I drew office jokes. I added Crumbish Harvey art to dry erase boards and notices. It was like a theme office.

We began to shoot but hadn't worked out the legal stuff with Crumb and his art, so they had to hire someone to do props. Because everyone knew me and saw my Crumblike scrawls everywhere, I got the gig.

I ended up creating the sketchbook Crumb(James Urbaniak) draws in, the Big Yum Yum Book, and a bunch of Frank Stack's art too. If the actor is holding a sketchbook or drawing, it's my art you're looking at. Looking back it's not all that great, but for the brief moments of screen time I think it seems passable. 

screencaps.thumb.jpg.77d56ec592714e611c08bef90045d7d7.jpgIM000233.JPG.98b54453d671f161d8faac8da36f9838.JPG

It was a pretty darn cool experience for a young 20-something kid. My little scrawls ended up in the trailer, the movie, and I even got mentioned in the commentary.

It was a cool moment in my life.

Ever since that experience, I've wanted a Crumb original from American Splendor. Not only wanted, but almost needed. How many people can share this weird credit of doing fake Crumb art for an Oscar nominated film?

So for 15 years I kept an eye out. There weren't a lot of solo pages emerging, stories mostly travelling in packs. In 2016/2017 a few old Crumb collections slipped out, and while some art set records, Splendor stayed "cheap" and within mortal reach.

This is a page from "Standing Behind Old Jewish Ladies in Supermarket Lines", my single favorite Splendor story and featured prominently in the film. It's one of those great every day experiences about Harvey picking the right line at the supermarket. It was a short 5 page story, so finding any page is a miracle in itself.

Given that Crumb is known for his weirder stuff, finding simple blue collar storytelling is a nice change. It's a Crumb you can hang on the wall without feeling too awkward about. It's also at a much more mature point in time, past the eye of the fame hurricane, when he could be a little more patient.

I loved seeing a Crumb original too. A spiral bound page of bristol with the full title handwritten on the page. It's so quirky and cool and awesome, I can't even begin to explain:) Let's be palsy walsies!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1419636

crumbsplendor-full.thumb.jpg.c8e6b486685674f559151e0327254e24.jpg

Best story ever! Congratulations on a stellar example that fits so well.

Just added a nice half page splash from Brubaker and Lark's Gotham Central. This page shows Renee Montoya extracting her revenge on Jim Corrigan. I have been looking for a nice Gotham Central page and this one checked almost all of my boxes for sure. It's only missing Batman (but those are far and few between) to make it my perfect page.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1423075

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome!

mathew