• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I just received a few pages in the mail today from Lukas Ketner - I've been a fan of his since I first saw his work in Witch Doctor. Unfortunately, all of Witch Doctor was done digitally, but I'm happy that he decided to go pencil and ink on his new project. See below (sorry, I don't have scans) for a splash and a cover from the recently completed mini Kill the Minotaur.

002-Page30.thumb.jpg.bd1f9cff46edecc487aae95c200f4ac9.jpg

KTM-006CoverOriginal.thumb.jpg.6cb813c6291f7f32978e17f3d6c20ede.jpg

Damn! You’re the one who bought those! 

I was just just about to post one of the pages I bought from him.

F1093B2D-32F4-41D0-B23C-C5B7A38207DC.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

43 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Damn! You’re the one who bought those! 

I was just just about to post one of the pages I bought from him.

Spoiler

F1093B2D-32F4-41D0-B23C-C5B7A38207DC.jpeg

That is a nice page as well - I actually had that one under consideration until Lukas decided to make some of the covers available. I have a third page that I bought, but I didn't have a picture of it handy so I didn't post it, but it is a nice highly detailed environment page from issue #3. Like I said, I'm glad he decided to do some non-digital work, I'm happy to have had the chance to pick these up.

15 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

That is a nice page as well - I actually had that one under consideration until Lukas decided to make some of the covers available. I have a third page that I bought, but I didn't have a picture of it handy so I didn't post it, but it is a nice highly detailed environment page from issue #3. Like I said, I'm glad he decided to do some non-digital work, I'm happy to have had the chance to pick these up.

He didn’t tell me any of the Covers were available. You and I bought most of his art, I’m guessing. :roflmao:

18 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I loved that page because it had a Berni Wrightson horror vibe to it. 

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

He didn’t tell me any of the Covers were available. You and I bought most of his art, I’m guessing. :roflmao:

I asked him a few month ago if covers would be available and from his response I know he hadn't planned on selling any at that time. I think I mentioned it again as we got close to the time when he'd be able to ship (due to a gallery show he had some of his pages showing in) and he sort of suddenly decided he would make some, but not all, of his covers available. He didn't have all of his pages on offer either, I imagine he was holding personal favorites back as artists often do. As to who all purchased, I have no idea - hopefully more people buy his art, Lukas is a really nice guy and a talented artist. One of the few framed pieces I have is a Witch Doctor commission he did for me some years ago, so I obviously am biased lol

Received my first pieces of OA today.  Wow!!  Now I know the feeling of receiving that special piece, fantastic!! Feels like I'm hooked!!  So, yes, I made some rookie mistakes, been learning a little from here, special thanks to Matches Malone and O.  I really like O's knowledge and his market reviews he shares on comicbookinvest.com.  I am learning a lot.  So, this is what I got.  Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four #1 pg. 3 inked by Mark Brooks, Deadpool pencils by Mark Brooks, if anyone can point me to if this was published or not and what issue, please share, and an unknown sketch.  I bought them from Anthony Snyder and he included this little sketch in with my order for free, so if anyone might know who its by and what it was for, please share too.

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

41 minutes ago, RB3 said:

Received my first pieces of OA today.  Wow!!  Now I know the feeling of receiving that special piece, fantastic!! Feels like I'm hooked!!  So, yes, I made some rookie mistakes, been learning a little from here, special thanks to Matches Malone and O.  I really like O's knowledge and his market reviews he shares on comicbookinvest.com.  I am learning a lot.  So, this is what I got.  Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four #1 pg. 3 inked by Mark Brooks, Deadpool pencils by Mark Brooks, if anyone can point me to if this was published or not and what issue, please share, and an unknown sketch.  I bought them from Anthony Snyder and he included this little sketch in with my order for free, so if anyone might know who its by and what it was for, please share too.

Congrats on your first purchase. The addiction begins.

On 07/12/2017 at 11:08 AM, NicoV said:

My first purchase for nearly two years!

Mephisto and Galactus were my two favorite bad guys when I was a kid. This title page not only depicts a big and nicely inked Mephisto, but it also tells a story and I like when pages can stand on their own. Now I just need to find a nice page with Galactus.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1440012

mephisto1_small.jpg.d27838cc4a81647617fcd00eb96a912c.jpg

Great page. Now that CAT is working well - I am sure it will be far less than 2 years before you find another piece of art you want to add to the collection.

Edited by Panelfan1

1 hour ago, Sooners151 said:

Just completed a significant (and for me high anxiety) trade in my infantile OA collecting career.  This was my favorite piece in the trade.  I will be posting the rest of the pieces to my CAF gallery, but wanted to share this one here .  One comment I have to make is that the other party was a joy to work with, and it speaks volumes to the OA collecting community.  

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1440493&GSub=182593

McFarlane Spider-Man #9 page 3

McWolvie Hunt Camera.jpg

Ah, you completed the trade.  Congrats!

Malvin

About a year ago I bid $999 on this Mandy illo by Dean Yeagle. I was a “little bummed” about getting sniped out of the win. I even asked the auction house to offer the winner a profit (a few hun) but that didn’t work. So last night I snagged it on HA for under $500. 

Warning: contains nudity

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1440848

Doctor Strange 46 2nd story p. 1 "A Moment's Peace"

Saving the best for last (for 2017), this is an amazing page to arrive in my Doctor Strange collection

Something from Michael Golden,  from his rare Doctor Strange pages, has been unobtainable for me for many years so I feel very lucky to have such a nice example. In addition with P. Craig Russell as inker, I am ecstatic. Doctor Strange and Clea take a quiet moment's peace. 

cyPp7CAI_3110171911161sbpi.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Sooners151 said:

Just completed a significant (and for me high anxiety) trade in my infantile OA collecting career.  This was my favorite piece in the trade.  I will be posting the rest of the pieces to my CAF gallery, but wanted to share this one here .  One comment I have to make is that the other party was a joy to work with, and it speaks volumes to the OA collecting community.  

McWolvie Hunt Camera.jpg

Holy Christmas! What an amazing piece! Truly the stuff that dreams are made of.

On 12/9/2017 at 12:49 PM, Sooners151 said:

McWolvie Hunt Camera.jpg

Oh my, and what was involved in the trade to pry that out of someone's hands?  Wow!:golfclap:

Edited by Lucky Baru

21 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

About a year ago I bid $999 on this Mandy illo by Dean Yeagle. I was a “little bummed” about getting sniped out of the win. I even asked the auction house to offer the winner a profit (a few hun) but that didn’t work. So last night I snagged it on HA for under $500. 

Warning: contains nudity

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1440848

This raises a question I have been wondering about over the past year. It looks like some prices, at least at the lower end, have been dropping. Anyone else notice this?

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

This raises a question I have been wondering about over the past year. It looks like some prices, at least at the lower end, have been dropping. Anyone else notice this?

Here's my observations:

1. For the last 3-5 years, going into an auction where the pre-auction bidding is still under FMV, meaning I'm interested, I will pay slightly over FMV. Let's say 110-125% of FMV. I win 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 I'm blown out of the water so badly that I don't even care...that's how much over the final result is. (Like everybody) I feel that I have a good handle on FMV (on the things I specialize in and would be looking to buy). But when you're wrong 2/3 of the time...(and it's generally not A+ trophies which have their own special math)...maybe you're not really up on the market after all? Maybe I'm a victim of price stickiness from the 90s and early 2000s price structure? Or...is 2/3 of the market bubblicious? Dunno. Just trying to fight internal confirmation bias in both directions here.

2. When pre-auction bidding is at/around FMV already, I'm usually no longer interested (in bidding up live even higher), but I follow to see what happens. What's been happening this year, last year and maybe a bit in 2015 even, is that if I don't bid, almost all those lots stall at/around FMV (110-125% over inclusive). This is maybe 2/3. So for 2/3...at least the illusion is there that I could have won with just one more bid over FMV (and then juice). Not really tempting, especially not that often for "stuff" art (not grailish). That's a lot, imo, of situations where one guy bid at/around FMV and nobody (me or however many "others" are similarly mathed up like me) would event try to top him at (say) 140% FMV. 1/3 still go on to nosebleed silliness.

3. This year...I seem to be the bidder of last resort on a lot of things, maybe 75% or more. I think maybe it's just me and one other person at FMV and then it's a matter of who gives up (cheaps out) first, me or mystery him (which is not to say it's the same person each time, not at all!) If I keep bidding, I will eventually win (duh) but not at crazzeeee money, maybe 150-160% FMV, which I do occasionally do. But if I drop out...nobody else picks up the slack. The other guy just wins. Me or him (???) This feels to me like very thin trade.

4. Finally, I've noticed in the Mike Zeck Captain America market (so err very specifically now!) a lot more softness than usual. The summer sale at Hake's of Cap 265 complete story, those numbers were right at conservative FMV imo, with maybe the cover and splashes going a bit higher than conservative, but not crazy high. Since that sale two pieces (that I've seen) have been re-offered on eBay. One was priced at the Hake's result and passed twice no bids. And it's now listed at a slight discount to Hake's (and still not selling). The other one went for about 15% more than Hake's (including BP) result but that's not netting out the Hake's shipping, and eBay/PayPal fee drag. So this is probably still a winner on paper but maybe not worth all the hassle to mke 50 bucks or less end of day! And then last night...a panel page that's been sitting on Mike's site for years at $750 and recently sold...ended at $390. Oof. Somebody took a big step back on that one.