• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,755 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, vodou said:

Well...since we can all read Jim Lee's mind now too...I'm going to take the above to mean that you Andy Fish are definitely speaking for yourself (and Mrs. Fish too?), so you've just granted anyone/everyone blanket permission for one-offs of anything/everything you've ever "created" and/or holds rights to? Cool. But still, please confirm. Thanks.

Now about the other rights holder, the corporation(s)...we'll just lean on rarely = all good, I guess?

And then back to this very important part...and I can only work off memory now since "somebody" is busy sweeping their backtrail and I didn't quote their entire post (but may have to from now on ;) )...the original post (iirc, my impression) mentioned a number of people agreeing to go forward, not just the one posting here. So "one off" ain't so one after all.

And for the record I'm 100% anti-IP Rights, it stifles creativity across the board, but this is the world we have not the one we want, so that's what I'm working with.

Ha!  I did sound a little too authoritative on that-- my experience is the publishers look the other way on one off's-- and it hasn't just been for me but literally every other working artist I know.   If someone reaches out to me asking for a commission of another creator's property I run it by that creator first, for example I did a Hellboy piece and I checked in with Mike and Christine first and they were cool with it.   As for our own properties, if someone wants to do a one off sculpture of the crew from BLACKWOOD, MARS MAGNO or one of the skaters from SLAM!  I have zero problem with it.   So permission granted.   

And for the record; I know of at least two bootleg items Jim Lee has bought so I seriously doubt he'd be the one coming after you.   That's what the angry corporate lawyers are for.

Edited by AndyFish
I hate typos.