• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,742 posts in this topic

This year Peter Maresca decided that he "only needed 20 good Johnny Hazard strips" in his collection and brought what was left to Comic-Con in San Diego. Since he wasn't really displaying them in his booth (Sunday Press Books) most of them were left on Sunday when I finally got around to ask him. When I had rummaged through them two stood out as (at least in my opinion) exceptional:

Hazard_1966-05-19.jpg

This strip is from the episode "Wheels and Deals" and was published on May 19th, 1966. A lot of 60's feeling with fast cars, gorgeous broads and bad guys on the french Riviera. The size is a whopping 22 1/2" x 7 1/4" (approximately)!

Hazard_1966-12-30.jpg

What I consider one of the most hilarious strips Frank Robbins ever drew. Johnny is on one of his first missions for WING and goes undercover as a pop singer (hence the mullet hairdo). Here he is using his bongos in a way that wasn't intended by the manufacturer. Madame Cobra and her all-female organization was probably inspired by both Milton Caniff's Dragon Lady and the female gangster queen from Ian Fleming's Goldfinger. The name of the adventure is "Operation Claw" and the strip was published December 30th 1966. Even though it is only six-and-a-half months later the size has shrunk to a more modest 18 1/4" x 6 3/4".

A welcome addition to my Frank Robbins-collection (it will take a long time until I have "20 good strips").

Click on the pictures to see the strips in (almost) their natural size in my Frank Robbins gallery on CAF.

I'm not sure what happened this weekend at the Amazing! Houston Comic Con, but it appears that I may have gone into a strange new world of art collecting - MLP.

The con started off well enough. I got a sketch cover by Ryan Kincaid featuring Commissioner Gordon in my VIP goody bag. I don't know his work, but it's a nice image and totally appropriate. I think you might enjoy it too. Click the image to embiggin:

O3qrAuZi_0109142011071.jpg.

Terry Moore and his wife, Robyn, were manning their booth and I finally pulled the trigger on a piece of art from Terry. I chose the OA for a print he'd done for Echo back in 2009. It features Julie pulling a someone through the desert. I really like it and Terry and I will soon search his warehouse for a copy of the print.

You can see it here along with a picture of the three of us. Click the image to embiggin.

eoqb5U37_0109141829541.jpg.

After that, things began to get hazy and confused. I ended up at Tony Fleecs table thumbing through some of his OA. Tony is a frequent artist for MLP: Friends Forever. As I was going through it and visiting with Tony about some other MLP artists/writers that I know (Tom Zahler, Katie Cook, and Andy Price), I found a DPS that features all of the ponies ever created (or close enough not to matter). It's amazing, but it's full of ponies! Clearly, I've gone to the dark side (or the brightly colored side) because I bought it.

If you are courageous enough, check it out by clicking the image.

010914183449yCnB2qkNDm.jpg

and look at the additional images for the color version and a picture of Tony with the art.

The con got stranger though. I visited with Tom Scioli of GI Joe and Transformer and Godland fame. A guy that draws serious, manly stuff! So, what did I ask him to create? A Kirbyesque pony inspired by a MLP Kirby Pony mockup cover that he did. It's pretty cool, but it's ponies! What has happened to me?

Here's the drawing (click to embiggin):

x7tyxT2n_0109141950581.jpg.

You can see what started the trouble in the additional images section.

I suspect that most of you won't find this update interesting, but check it out, you might be surprised.

I'm not sure what happened this weekend at the Amazing! Houston Comic Con, but it appears that I may have gone into a strange new world of art collecting - MLP.

The con started off well enough. I got a sketch cover by Ryan Kincaid featuring Commissioner Gordon in my VIP goody bag. I don't know his work, but it's a nice image and totally appropriate. I think you might enjoy it too. Click the image to embiggin:

O3qrAuZi_0109142011071.jpg.

Terry Moore and his wife, Robyn, were manning their booth and I finally pulled the trigger on a piece of art from Terry. I chose the OA for a print he'd done for Echo back in 2009. It features Julie pulling a someone through the desert. I really like it and Terry and I will soon search his warehouse for a copy of the print.

You can see it here along with a picture of the three of us. Click the image to embiggin.

eoqb5U37_0109141829541.jpg.

After that, things began to get hazy and confused. I ended up at Tony Fleecs table thumbing through some of his OA. Tony is a frequent artist for MLP: Friends Forever. As I was going through it and visiting with Tony about some other MLP artists/writers that I know (Tom Zahler, Katie Cook, and Andy Price), I found a DPS that features all of the ponies ever created (or close enough not to matter). It's amazing, but it's full of ponies! Clearly, I've gone to the dark side (or the brightly colored side) because I bought it.

If you are courageous enough, check it out by clicking the image.

010914183449yCnB2qkNDm.jpg

and look at the additional images for the color version and a picture of Tony with the art.

The con got stranger though. I visited with Tom Scioli of GI Joe and Transformer and Godland fame. A guy that draws serious, manly stuff! So, what did I ask him to create? A Kirbyesque pony inspired by a MLP Kirby Pony mockup cover that he did. It's pretty cool, but it's ponies! What has happened to me?

Here's the drawing (click to embiggin):

x7tyxT2n_0109141950581.jpg.

You can see what started the trouble in the additional images section.

I suspect that most of you won't find this update interesting, but check it out, you might be surprised.

Alex, I enjoyed the update very much. Love the Moore piece, too.

Just got the Solo Avengers cover 1 :whee:

Doc Joes Solo Avengers 1 Cover

comments and general praise always welcome!

Great cover, I have to get myself a classic Hawkeye cover some time. I loved this series, even more so than the regular Avengers books of the time.

Dumb question. How is it solo Avengers if it features 2 Avengers in the 1st issue? Shouldn't it be Duo Avengers or something?