• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is my very first piece of OA, so go easy on me or be brutally honest, it's up to you lol 

Detective Comics #835 pg 12. Tom Mandrake pencils and inks, also signed by him at the bottom :) 

original comic art detective comics 835 pg 12 tom mandrake pencils and inks.jpg

I like it!  Especially the last panel, very cool.  That said, I'm certainly not anyone to listen to as I just recently put in a bid on what would/could be my first piece of OA.  :wishluck:

2 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

I like it!  Especially the last panel, very cool.  That said, I'm certainly not anyone to listen to as I just recently put in a bid on what would/could be my first piece of OA.  :wishluck:

It's definitely an experience seeing it in person!! lol I encourage you to get one that speaks to you :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Tom Mandrake is one of the best at moody pieces and a Mandrake Batman is a wonderful thing. Congratulations.

One my commission list is a Tom Mandrake piece featuring Batman, The Spectre, and the Martian Manhunter. He worked on all three and all three are gloriously moody.

He reminds me of Gene Colan in a lot of ways and may be the only one "out there" with a similar approach.

Years ago, I bought a piece of art consigned to my LCS from an estate. It was framed in a very expensive frame, but I didn't like - my framing is very simple (black frame, double mat (white with a small colored rim within the white).

Recently, I decided to unframe the piece since I'd never hang it.

I took the opportunity to scan it and replace the old photograph that I had been using - it's much better now.

If you like Warlord, Tara, and/or Mike Grell, take a look (click to embiggen): 

The Warlord and Tara by Mike Grell, Comic Art

5 hours ago, drfate said:

a new/old addition to my CAF Gallery....King Kong!!!  NOT WORK SAFE!!!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1401541

Nice one! When I saw the NSFW warning, I thought maybe we'd see King Kong's Ding Dong. I'm glad I was wrong wrong.

1 hour ago, Wurtis said:

Added a nice Bianchi Wolverine Full Page Splash !

Samurai Sword, Claws out...and "SNIKT", do i have to say more :bigsmile:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1401534

OK...somehow i messed this up, it is in my Gallery.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3018

I tried to reset my Login and somehow had created a new one.

Back online now !

Rock'n'Roll...

On 6/14/2017 at 2:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is my very first piece of OA, so go easy on me or be brutally honest, it's up to you lol 

Detective Comics #835 pg 12. Tom Mandrake pencils and inks, also signed by him at the bottom :) 

I love the shadows and the lighting, and the contrast looks great in black & white.  I like Mandrake's characters here.  He gives them realistic proportions and makes them very organic in comparison to the well-detailed industrial landscape.  Nice perspective in the first panel to depict the dizzying heights...just look at all those cars way down there!  And that's how Batman should look!

I don't know how much you paid or how much Mandrake's art goes for these days, but I'd expect that this piece would be a good value (a nice page at a reasonable cost) in addition to being an excellent start to your collection.  Well-done!

On 6/14/2017 at 2:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is a fine page. Great last panel like you said and I like the contrast between the foreground and the background. A great start for a first piece.

I appreciate all the likes on my first piece! Thank You!

I looked up the comic page on the net and Robin is setting up cameras for Batman to try and catch the Scarecrow before he gets a big batch of chemicals for his fear potions/gas :) 

There are no CGC copies of Detective Comics #835 that I saw on ebay or anywhere else, but that doesn't bither me a bot lol It has plenty of inks and detail that I liked it ;) and it was in my price range, which makes it all the better!!

I noticed in research that Mandrake is probably more prominently known for Spectre, but I think that he draws a nice flowing Batman/Robin/Panels. It's the "Tim Drake" "Robin". 

Great stuff everyone.  Love the Byrne pages Rick!  Took pictures of a few pieces that I thought I'd share.  Only the first is from comics, being a complete story from an early Vampirella.  The other three are old and pretty cool, with the last being an early Norem watercolor.

image_zpsuloiqhhf.jpg

image_zpsya7blbdm.jpg

image_zpsmssjx99h.jpgimage_zpsvaymwb4i.jpg

Can't remember the last time I saw a full color Pete Docter piece. He's my kids generation's Walt Disney....

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1402023

Created for a charity fundraiser for Team Cul De Sac benefitting the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. 

Pete knew and respected Richard Thompson's work and donated this piece to help out. 

Scan 17.jpeg