• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, drfate said:

A new addition to my CAF Gallery....The Batman!!!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1441025

Still click-baity as an effer eh? Okay for those that would rather save a click, here's what Jim D'Amico is offering ???:

Scott Hampton The Batman Comic Art

Artwork Details

Title: Scott Hampton The Batman
Artist: Scott Hampton (All)
Media Type: Paint - Acrylic
Art Type: Trading Card Art
For Sale Status: ????
Views: 11
Likes on CAF:
Comments: 0
Added to Site: 12/12/2017
Comic Art Archive:

Description

Original art depicting The Batman by Scott Hampton, circa 1995. Approximate image size 8.75" x 11.75" on a larger 11" x 14.5" art board...acrylic paint on art board. This art was used for the Batman Master Series card set by Skybox in 1995. A dramatic interpretation of the Dark Knight swinging through a darkened Gotham!!!

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Here's my observations:

4. Finally, I've noticed in the Mike Zeck Captain America market (so err very specifically now!) a lot more softness than usual. The summer sale at Hake's of Cap 265 complete story, those numbers were right at conservative FMV imo, with maybe the cover and splashes going a bit higher than conservative, but not crazy high. Since that sale two pieces (that I've seen) have been re-offered on eBay. One was priced at the Hake's result and passed twice no bids. And it's now listed at a slight discount to Hake's (and still not selling). The other one went for about 15% more than Hake's (including BP) result but that's not netting out the Hake's shipping, and eBay/PayPal fee drag. So this is probably still a winner on paper but maybe not worth all the hassle to mke 50 bucks or less end of day! And then last night...a panel page that's been sitting on Mike's site for years at $750 and recently sold...ended at $390. Oof. Somebody took a big step back on that one.

The Complete interior for Zeck's Cap #275 is sitting at the Comic Link OA exchange with a current bid of $10K.

http://www.comiclink.com/items.asp?id=17713

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The Complete interior for Zeck's Cap #275 is sitting at the Comic Link OA exchange with a current bid of $10K.

http://www.comiclink.com/items.asp?id=17713

That offer - less than $500/page including two splash pages...not surprised the owner didn't accept. Big whoop. But no takers at $15k either...that's the other side of the story. Or were you trying to prove my point?

About a year ago I bid $999 on this Mandy illo by Dean Yeagle. I was a “little bummed” about getting sniped out of the win. I even asked the auction house to offer the winner a profit (a few hun) but that didn’t work. So last night I snagged it on HA for under $500. 

Warning: contains nudity

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1440848

That's a great pick up.

Dean does awesome work and you got a true bargain. I think he charges around $1400-2000 for pieces of that size. mostly sell to European buyers from what he has told me at conventions past.

The only thing I would say is that when it comes to art featuring nudity, the buyer pool is smaller since hanging that stuff up - is not acceptable in all households.  Even if its appreciated by art fans.

Edited by Panelfan1

22 hours ago, vodou said:

3. This year...I seem to be the bidder of last resort on a lot of things, maybe 75% or more. I think maybe it's just me and one other person at FMV and then it's a matter of who gives up (cheaps out) first, me or mystery him (which is not to say it's the same person each time, not at all!) If I keep bidding, I will eventually win (duh) but not at crazzeeee money, maybe 150-160% FMV, which I do occasionally do. But if I drop out...nobody else picks up the slack. The other guy just wins. Me or him (???) This feels to me like very thin trade.

I've also noticed a drop-off in bidding on "non-trophy" pieces. Also, some of the less interesting pieces seem to sit around on dealer's sites a lot longer, or they have run more "specials" to effectively lower their prices. 

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I've also noticed a drop-off in bidding on "non-trophy" pieces. Also, some of the less interesting pieces seem to sit around on dealer's sites a lot longer, or they have run more "specials" to effectively lower their prices. 

Dealer sites. I intentionally used the word auction throughout my post...because I can rarely justify paying dealer list -across the board. I'm buying way too much at auction, but that's where (oddly enough) the 'deals' are. Dealers have been very efficient at pricing 5 years (or more!) ahead of market at initial offer on new art and/or bench-marking against the best examples and top numbers at auction on vintage art. What does this mean? It means that when you look at the date things were posted on CAF...some of that mess has been on there for ten years and even longer. Now that's absolutely lollollol no? No takers. And, for the most part, if you try to bring this up and bargain a bit...you get the dead eyes or wave off. (Sometimes a lot worse too.) Not always, but often enough that it's pretty much not worth the bother.

Felix is the exception (that I do business with, maybe there are others too I don't know about?) He's pretty good at pricing to market or maybe even a bit under, sure he's got plenty of stock on his site, but much more is sold out and then removed. Not just the "hot" stuff either. What good does it do an artist for his stuff to sit and sit and unrealistic prices and essentially kill his market for ??? years, the cherries get picked and the rest just sits, and no income for artist or rep. In the fine art world, that stuff gets pulled down and hidden away for a few years (at least, if not 5 or 10!) And when it comes back it's for the same price (if that artists market has expanded - at lot, or it comes back re-branded by a sub-dealer or other similar swap arrangement at a noticeably lower price (for those that are paying attention). Comic art dealers, that own or control the price of their stock and have a lot of dead stock, could learn something here....lower your prices to move deadwood or simply REmove it from visibility for a hobby generation or so (3-5 years?) And artists, if your idea of getting paid right is numbers that the market doesn't agree with...clearly you want the art more than anybody else. Again, just pull it back in house and do a Walt Simonson...toss it in the closet for a decade or three and deal with it when all your hair is silver. Or gone.  ;)

1 hour ago, drfate said:

A new addition to my CAF  Gallery....A new Van Helsing horror cover!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1441231

No need to feed the click:

Netho Diaz Van Helsing 6 Cover

Artist: Netho Diaz (All)

0 Comments  -   18 Views  -   0 Like

Netho Diaz Van Helsing 6 Cover Comic Art
Click Image to View Full Size

Additional Images:

kftiXHy7_1312171138261gpaiadd.jpg
Van Helsing 6 Cover

Artwork Details

Title: Netho Diaz Van Helsing 6 Cover
Artist: Netho Diaz (All)
Media Type: Mixed Media
Art Type: Cover
For Sale Status: ???
Views: 18
Likes on CAF:
Comments: 0
Added to Site: 12/13/2017
Comic Art Archive:

Description

Original art for the cover to Van Helsing 6 by Netho Diaz. Approximate image 10.5" x 16" on a larger 11" x 17" art board...mixed media on art paper. Liesel Van Helsing does battle with the Mummy of Amun-Ra!!!

Social/Sharing

34 minutes ago, vodou said:

Dealer sites. I intentionally used the word auction throughout my post...because I can rarely justify paying dealer list -across the board. I'm buying way too much at auction, but that's where (oddly enough) the 'deals' are. Dealers have been very efficient at pricing 5 years (or more!) ahead of market at initial offer on new art and/or bench-marking against the best examples and top numbers at auction on vintage art. What does this mean? It means that when you look at the date things were posted on CAF...some of that mess has been on there for ten years and even longer. Now that's absolutely lollollol no? No takers. And, for the most part, if you try to bring this up and bargain a bit...you get the dead eyes or wave off. (Sometimes a lot worse too.) Not always, but often enough that it's pretty much not worth the bother.

Felix is the exception (that I do business with, maybe there are others too I don't know about?) He's pretty good at pricing to market or maybe even a bit under, sure he's got plenty of stock on his site, but much more is sold out and then removed. Not just the "hot" stuff either. What good does it do an artist for his stuff to sit and sit and unrealistic prices and essentially kill his market for ??? years, the cherries get picked and the rest just sits, and no income for artist or rep. In the fine art world, that stuff gets pulled down and hidden away for a few years (at least, if not 5 or 10!) And when it comes back it's for the same price (if that artists market has expanded - at lot, or it comes back re-branded by a sub-dealer or other similar swap arrangement at a noticeably lower price (for those that are paying attention). Comic art dealers, that own or control the price of their stock and have a lot of dead stock, could learn something here....lower your prices to move deadwood or simply REmove it from visibility for a hobby generation or so (3-5 years?) And artists, if your idea of getting paid right is numbers that the market doesn't agree with...clearly you want the art more than anybody else. Again, just pull it back in house and do a Walt Simonson...toss it in the closet for a decade or three and deal with it when all your hair is silver. Or gone.  ;)

Out of everything you said here, I find the concept of a 'hobby generation' the most interesting. Is this an actual thing, or just something off of the top of your head?

27 minutes ago, vodou said:

Felix is the exception

I've been meaning to buy something from him just based on the reputation he's building/how he conducts himself.  In my brief foray into this OA world, it's easy to recognize (at least on a topical level) that professionalization like that should be reinforced.  That said, I'm usually never in a position to sit down and focus when new art drops.  The last one I recall, I was in an airport when the Thanos art dropped (a week ago?) and missed out on an amazing page with Galactus and Surfer.  I would have paid double the asking price, it was that pretty (at least on my phone, ha).  

47 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Out of everything you said here, I find the concept of a 'hobby generation' the most interesting. Is this an actual thing, or just something off of the top of your head?

It's a thing. Same as the way comic companies used to reprint the heck out of everything that was five or more years older. Five years was about how long they figured an audience stuck around before leaving, so anything older than five years wasn't a reprint to the current crop of kids. This, of course, before everybody was reading/collecting comics for their entire lives! Applied to art/prices as I've done, that's about how long you have to wait before nobody will remember/care what was previously available and at what price.

Not everybody believes that fresh to market matters, but those that do: how many years off-market before fresh can be re-applied?

52 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

I've been meaning to buy something from him just based on the reputation he's building/how he conducts himself.  In my brief foray into this OA world, it's easy to recognize (at least on a topical level) that professionalization like that should be reinforced.  That said, I'm usually never in a position to sit down and focus when new art drops.  The last one I recall, I was in an airport when the Thanos art dropped (a week ago?) and missed out on an amazing page with Galactus and Surfer.  I would have paid double the asking price, it was that pretty (at least on my phone, ha).  

Felix has plenty of nice art that doesn't sell out within seconds of dropping ;)

I encourage you to do business with him if you find some art there that works. He gets it right, where not many do. I don't know why it's so hard for some, but it is...that customer service stuff.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

It's a thing. Same as the way comic companies used to reprint the heck out of everything that was five or more years older. Five years was about how long they figured an audience stuck around before leaving, so anything older than five years wasn't a reprint to the current crop of kids. This, of course, before everybody was reading/collecting comics for their entire lives! Applied to art/prices as I've done, that's about how long you have to wait before nobody will remember/care what was previously available and at what price.

Not everybody believes that fresh to market matters, but those that do: how many years off-market before fresh can be re-applied?

I have found, after 40 years of selling comic art, that most people believe "fresh to market" matters. Those that say otherwise are either lying or trying to get a better price on fresh to market.

I also believe that at least15-20 years off market could make it back as fresh to market.

Mitch Itkowitz
Graphic Collectibles

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

I have found, after 40 years of selling comic art, that most people believe "fresh to market" matters. Those that say otherwise are either lying or trying to get a better price on fresh to market.

I also believe that at least15-20 years off market could make it back as fresh to market.

Mitch Itkowitz
Graphic Collectibles

I’ll go further and Say that in some specific pieces a hint of the aroma of freshness can return in 5 years. 

28 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:
Spoiler
Spoiler

So, I bought 2 pages in the last couple of months.  The one from the UK got here before the one from NYC.

A cool little title splash from the Invisibles, and also a picture of it in my portfolio, I did this little project a couple of weeks ago and really digging it, 24 pages with the OA next to an 11x17 print out of the published page.  Been flipping through it a lot since I've done it.  I stole the idea from something I saw in one of the OA Facebook groups.

you can see the full rez images on my CAF

http://cafurl.com?i=23103

invis_v3_11_1_pub.jpg

Looks very cool.  I used to photoshop the OA and published versions next to each other when i first started posting to CAF.  I like what you did here, but the thought of doubling the number of portfolios will keep me from ever doing this :$

The best example I've seen doing something like this is in the CAF of Murray Clack  :golfclap:

Edited by mister_not_so_nice
please excuse the multiple SPOILER tags. I was trying to hide the repeat image, but i'm still a novice at these new boards

18 hours ago, vodou said:

I'd agree with you about 2/3rds of the time; one dealer in particular has prices which I think are nuts, and he doesn't seem to care. But at the lower end, I typically see dealer pricing only a bit higher than what goes at auction.

My own perspective is warped, however, because I only buy art with the Phantom Stranger in it. It ran up when he had his book published as part of the New 52, but has now plateaued or gone down a little.