• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, Flambit said:

Not this week - but two weeks ago - I landed my #2 grail of all time after a long time waiting and watching!  Thanks to Ben H. for parting with this beauty.  Love and Rockets #31 cover. 

L&R31cover.jpg

beautiful Jamie H work, what year was that cover ?

congrats!

On 8/21/2018 at 9:49 PM, Flambit said:

Not this week - but two weeks ago - I landed my #2 grail of all time after a long time waiting and watching!  Thanks to Ben H. for parting with this beauty.  Love and Rockets #31 cover. 

L&R31cover.jpg

God, what a time capsule to a different Era. The style and look of it appears as modern as any Image or indie published book today. But when you look at the content, it couldn't scream anymore of a bygone era. Someone smoking, siting in the back seat of a stationwagon style vehicle with blankets. Boombox present, people actually engaging each other with no cellphones in view, and people looking somewhat disheveled without spending hours and hundreds to design the look. I never gave a cr@% about love and rockets before, but i look at this cover and i see something beyond nostalgia. This appears almost like a work of fine art. It just captures a time perfectly. Great pick up.

Back in 1984, a precocious Mike Mignola drew this incredible Art Deco-inspired Marvel Fanfare #16 title splash featuring Namor, the Sub-Mariner emerging from the sea. I love the hand-drawn masthead details and bold composition of heavy black forms-- a signature style in Mignola's later work on Hellboy and Dracula.  My first piece from this talented and popular artist.

Mignola Sub-Mariner splash

YtsmM2YC_3005181225401gpadd.jpg

New Art Day - Wallace the Brave by Will Henry

Wallace the Brave is a new (2015) strip that now appears in my local paper - Houston Chronicle - and a 100 or more others. I've read it on-line for awhile, but never thought to get a strip until I did.

This strip is a clear descendant from Skippy (Percy Crosby), Tippie (Edwina Dumm), Peanuts (Charles Schulz), Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson), and Cul de Sac (Richard Thompson).

That's a mighty high standard for any strip, but WtB feels that way.

Anyway, write your paper, buy the book, or read GoComics (all the links are in the Description on my CAF post). Click the image to go to the CAF page.
image.png.9ed26423cf51c9e1774dff767c55f095.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

As the Skrulls have kind of made their big screen debut this week with the Captain Marvel photos, here’s a page drawn by Marshall Rogers from Silver Surfer #6 which I believe is the first time in print we see the origin of the Skrulls.

7337B6F6-B5AC-47D6-973A-B101DAB9D59E.jpeg

Edited by Warloc

And here’s a flashback scene from Secret Invasion x-over Ms Marvel #25 featuring a Skrull as Carol Danvers and Mar Vell. Might we see this scene in the movie? Drawn by Ron Frenz and inked and signed by the great Sal Buscema.

B1646038-02DC-4A79-A9DE-763381B7BDCE.jpeg