• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,743 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

I see some Bisley in this.. Not 100% sure by any means, but some of it reminds me of him.

Thanks...I'll look into it. The thing about these trading cards back in the 90's is they were often done by popular artist, not just some jobbers. I picked this up for next to nothing, $25, be fun if it ended up being a nice little win.  

16 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Not sure who the artist is, Scott Dalrymple, but it's a nice looking Kitty Pryde!!

luyfkhgfkytfd.thumb.jpg.32a1d74c25be33503478d214fcb71972.jpg

Scott Dalrymple wasn't a publish guy. He was an Ebay seller that happened to be a really talented artist. It looks as though hes professionally trained. I have a couple of his pieces (a Venom and a Black Cat I think). He use to run about 10 images a week on Ebay. Might want to look there for more.

Star Wars fans...I posted an early Star Wars Sunday (1979, #6 in the series) introducing Han Solo, Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon, with appearances by C-3PO and R2-D2! Classic Star Wars art by Russ Manning. Great shots of the Millennium Falcon with Darth Vader’s ship approaching.

Link

14 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:
My Wonder Wife, Kathy, commissioned the extremely talented Scott Shaw to create another of my faux Sugar and Spike #100 covers.

S&S made it to #98 in the US in its original run and DC later published a comic called DC Silver Age Classics Sugar and Spike 99 which I count as the 99th US issue, but they never reached #100.

While we wait for that issue (there's a lot of material used in other countries by Mayer that's not been seen in the US), I've decided to build an inventory of the variant covers such an event will require!

Kathy really helps with these. Here's the latest - Sugar and Spike meet The Muppet Babies. Click the image to read the full story and meet all the characters.

image.thumb.png.a7f428f21f6f5e03065f2f155e41da65.png

This is a great piece by the great Scott Shaw!. What a clever idea. 

1 hour ago, davidtere said:

This is a great piece by the great Scott Shaw!. What a clever idea. 

Thanks, I'm very happy with it.

The concept and character choices were all Scott. I simply suggested an S&S #100 cover. My wife worked with Scott, a Sheldon Mayer fan, too, and they decided on Muppet Babies. Scott worked on the MB cartoon and won four Emmys so it was a natural fit. Scott also thinks S&S influenced MB so that makes it even better. Having Angelica from Rugrats join the fray is the topper on the cake. Rugrats was definitely influenced by S&S.

@Unstoppablejayd :o that return of wolverine!!!!

"A" povitol moment, I'd like tha....err i mean :takeit:errr...

JS!

That is awesome! Congrats!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Here's my second piece from Christmas. It to is an S&S 100 cover. Drawn by Matthew Childers and given to me by a Santa who may reveal himself if he so desires. I think it's terrific though I'm sure I'm prejudiced.

It combines two of my themes:

• Arm Wrestling with Heroes which is my go to theme when I want an artist, but don't know what I want the characters to be doing. Usually, it's the Silver Age Supergirl against the artist's characters or ones with whom I strongly identify the artist.
  • Sugar and Spike #100 faux cover which I explained above.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd never thought to cross these over. It does cause me some grief in terms of filing the piece though - which sub-gallery? :) [I chose the S&S 100 one.]

Enjoy. As usual, click the image to get the full story and get the bigger picture.

image.thumb.png.41323dcb5cfd44cac847591e7751a855.png