• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,725 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Jeremyamoto said:

Two vintage pieces of Nintendo advertisement artwork drawn by the legend, Neal Adams, in 1989 for Nintendo. The head art was published in many ads and on official Nintendo signage of 1990 and on. I haven’t identified the larger group image yet, but it is some kind of ad for Super Mario Bros. 3. 

616B917F-63D4-4DE3-BF6D-503192DBE415.jpeg

FD03ADAE-A788-4B47-92A9-B914FD8D67DD.jpeg

B2C9E2BE-63A3-4B70-B8B5-7ED74A3A6902.jpeg

Neal Adams drew those?  I hate to say it, but I don't know why Nintendo (or the ad agency) would have hired Neal Adams (presumable at premium rates) if he has to conform to the existing animated style and you can't even tell it's him.  There are many cheaper artists who could draw the same thing!

Malvin 

I won this John Bolton page from "Books of Magic" at a recent Heritage Auction for only $1,680. Frankly, I think I got a bargain; it is nuts. I had been looking at another one recently, but this one is better (and cheaper).

The page itself has the Phantom Stranger showing Timothy Hunter the past, as he is to consider whether he will use magic in the future. Time travel makes people a little sick, so PS is comforting him a bit before they head to their next destination.

I didn't realize how good this piece was until I received the original. Apart from the fact this it is painted, the detailing is exceptional and very carefully thought out. Various pieces were cut and glued onto the base, which includes the painted figure on the bottom. But, the overlain pieces are not what you would expect; it isn't just the 3 rectangles. So while the Egyptian figure was cut out and pasted on, part of it includes PS's hat and part of the Egyptian figure runs over it (as an example, there are others, too). The rectangles were deliberately trimmed to be smaller than the boxed in area which help create what is almost a 3D effect with the subjects in boxes. I still can't figure out if this is considered a full page splash, a spash page with inset panels, or form of panel page, what with the figues all moving through time.

The piece is large with the dimensions a healthy 15" x 22". It also has an inscription on the back stating that it is to "Eliane, With Best Wishes, John Bolton" and dated October 18, 1992. Yes, the spelling is correct. Anyone know who "Elaine" might be? 

All in all, one of my best purchases in recent years.

JohnBolton.thumb.jpg.20f75d76360a38af0a96b151f0bee464.jpg 

1 minute ago, Rick2you2 said:

I won this John Bolton page from "Books of Magic" at a recent Heritage Auction for only $1,680. Frankly, I think I got a bargain; it is nuts. I had been looking at another one recently, but this one is better (and cheaper).

The page itself has the Phantom Stranger showing Timothy Hunter the past, as he is to consider whether he will use magic in the future. Time travel makes people a little sick, so PS is comforting him a bit before they head to their next destination.

I didn't realize how good this piece was until I received the original. Apart from the fact this it is painted, the detailing is exceptional and very carefully thought out. Various pieces were cut and glued onto the base, which includes the painted figure on the bottom. But, the overlain pieces are not what you would expect; it isn't just the 3 rectangles. So while the Egyptian figure was cut out and pasted on, part of it includes PS's hat and part of the Egyptian figure runs over it (as an example, there are others, too). The rectangles were deliberately trimmed to be smaller than the boxed in area which help create what is almost a 3D effect with the subjects in boxes. I still can't figure out if this is considered a full page splash, a spash page with inset panels, or form of panel page, what with the figues all moving through time.

The piece is large with the dimensions a healthy 15" x 22". It also has an inscription on the back stating that it is to "Eliane, With Best Wishes, John Bolton" and dated October 18, 1992. Yes, the spelling is correct. Anyone know who "Elaine" might be? 

All in all, one of my best purchases in recent years.

JohnBolton.thumb.jpg.20f75d76360a38af0a96b151f0bee464.jpg 

What a great piece of art! I recently picked up the anniversary edition of this four parter.  It’s just a fantastic story with epic art.

Nice pick-up!

51 minutes ago, piper said:

What a great piece of art! I recently picked up the anniversary edition of this four parter.  It’s just a fantastic story with epic art.

Nice pick-up!

Thanks. I am still not sure what to do with it in terms of display and/or storage. So far, it’s been fun to turn it on it’s side under strong light, and try to figure out how he got all the pieces pasted together like this. And some of the detailing is best looked at really closely. Also, the piece is dark, so it needs really good lighting to appreciate. Light matting and UV protection would allow me to frame it, but maybe not enough to overcome my interest in looking at it closely from different angles.

When my wife stepped out to run an errand today, she came across this.   I have archived this photo.  :x  Does it count as original art in my collection?    

I guess the COVID-19 diet spares no one.  It managed to add at least 19 pounds to Stan and these heroes!   Stan is quoted as saying, "There's just something that feels nice about holding a comic book."   Damn right.   RIP  

1240857302_COVID-19obesemarvelheroes4-29-20.thumb.jpg.941d891417631ae51bf0430f39a07c14.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Hekla said:

Bruce McCorkindale commission, Animal from the Muppets as Miller's Wolverine

image0.jpeg

That's awesome! I knew what it was before reading the description lol

Or seeing the Kermit, which is a nice touch by the way!!

So cool :x