• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 177 O/A

27 posts in this topic

You guys do realize I lowered the resolution of the attachment to make it fit. Why is Perez art considered [embarrassing lack of self control]?

It's not Perez...it's Dave Wenzel.

Oops, I said Sal and Kalus. That was for issue 172. This issue os Wenzel and Marcos.

But still -- the page is not really special. There is a lot of text and no decent hero shots. I would say $150 tops.

Really?!? Only $150. I mean it's a battle page, good title, Korvac saga. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, $150 on the high side. I collect lots of Avengers art. Unless you're talking about Byrne or Perez that era does not bring much money.

yeah it looks okay, but in the context of the story and as part of the comic book it's cool. As a piece of art, you just don't want to overpay, and there's probably not a big market for David Wenzel art. Now, as part of the storyline, there might be some demand for it I suppose, but even if the "value" of it is more than $150, it's just not a piece I think would be a good idea to speculate on -- or overpay for. Now if you like it, that's a whole different story -- buy it and enjoy it.

Dude --

Do NOT pay $1k for that page. I would do this, if you think we are way off, contact Hari Nadu (heartned) on the boards here or Gene (delekkersete) and get their input. The guy is trying to rip you off:

Couple of problems: you a) obviously thought that was Perez, if the guy lied to you, drop the deal right then and there b) it's a Panel page -- ask yourself this, is it Romita? no. Kirby? no. Ditko? no. Adams? no. There aren't many artists who can really command $1k for a panel page. This isn't just a little overvalued, it's WAY overvalued.

yeah it looks okay, but in the context of the story and as part of the comic book it's cool. As a piece of art, you just don't want to overpay, and there's probably not a big market for David Wenzel art. Now, as part of the storyline, there might be some demand for it I suppose, but even if the "value" of it is more than $150, it's just not a piece I think would be a good idea to speculate on -- or overpay for. Now if you like it, that's a whole different story -- buy it and enjoy it.

Last thing I would do is speculate on OA. I only own 1 piece at the moment...and I picked it up because I think it's really cool. There's some upcoming Heritage auctions that I'll be watching though. wink.gif

The guy who is offering it to me is asking for $1K. He says thats what he paid for it so...................

How the heck do you guys know the diff. between a $150 page and a $1,000 page.. Learning this stuff is frustrating

There's no way in hell that's a $1000 page. If that guy paid $1000 for it he need to keep it for a long, long time to recoop his money.

Foolkiller is right -- panel pages don't bring the cash unless you have one of a few things -- it's a major artist; it's go some unique kick-asss panel that makes it stand out; or it's historically significant (1st appearance or something).

Like I said before -- I buy Avengers art. Pages from that era don't bring very much. In fact Kirby pages (similar to that) from that era only bring $300 - $500.

Thanks for the good input. As you guys can tell I'm just getting started in OA and thought I'd follow the golden rule and collect what I love. That brought me to the Korvac story line as it's a series of books I bought when I first started to collect comics.

I didn't know who the artist was and the reason I thought it was perez was when i did a search on one of the OA sites the pages came up under Perez. Hmmm.

I'm wanting to buy two to four of these pages that follow each other in 177 and then have them framed and then hang them up. It's my understanding that OA will not fade since it's black and white like a comic will and I thought it would be cool to finally be able to display some of my hobby where others can see it.

I'll counter back to this guy with price in line with the advice given. I suspect it'll kill the deal but I'd rather do that than get taken to the cleaners.

I would love to have that page too, as it's my favorite Avengers issue of all time. I'm happy to learn that it's not considered "desirable."

I've learned something from this thread. That if it's one of the issues that mean something to me, I'd probably rather have a panel page than an average splash. Because even the words sing to me.

(of course the page I'd really want would be page 30 from that issue, the full-page aftermath.)

Marc