• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 177 O/A

27 posts in this topic

You guys are way wrong... there are many, many artists who command 1k and up per page! I agree this particular page should be more like $200 to $300 but the list of artists is too long to mention at 1k and above... but... I'll mention a few- Starlin Warlock pages, Kane Captain Marvel pages, Buscema Surfer pages, Perez ff or Avengers, Andru or Romita Spidey, Cockrum or Byrne Xmen, heck there's even a Sal Buscema Cap page on Ebay right now at $800!

I've collected covers, splashes, pages and complete stories... they ALL take part in price runups! They are all cool and worthy of collecting. Dan

I emailed the guy who is interested in selling me the pages with the comments from earlier in this thread. He emailed me back with the following. Please comment, I'd appreciate the input.

<<Hi Chad -- Dave Wenzel in and of himself is not an expensive artist. Battle

pages from the last issue of a 10 issue story arc (that many consider the BEST

story arc) are ridiculously rare. you will not find ANY Wenzel Avengers pages

for $150.

If you go to www.fanfare-se.com and type in Wenzel you will be shown three

relativly terrible pages with NO battles and NO Avengers present from issue 175

(2 issues before the climax) -- these crappy pages were $450 each.

I can do an even 2K if you like otherwise I will just hold on to them as at this

price I am leaving $100 on the table for each.>>

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Uh, yeah, you're naming major, major artists.

Not David Wenzel.

And the panel pages you are naming are usually outstanding examples. Look at who you named -- Gil Kane, Jim Starlin, John Buscema -- etc. It depends on what the panel page is -- but I listed the famous artists off for panel pages -- nobody said any panel page shouldn't go for $1k, just not one by an unknown relatively obscure artist.

You guys are way wrong... there are many, many artists who command 1k and up per page! I agree this particular page should be more like $200 to $300 but the list of artists is too long to mention at 1k and above... but... I'll mention a few- Starlin Warlock pages, Kane Captain Marvel pages, Buscema Surfer pages, Perez ff or Avengers, Andru or Romita Spidey, Cockrum or Byrne Xmen, heck there's even a Sal Buscema Cap page on Ebay right now at $800!

I've collected covers, splashes, pages and complete stories... they ALL take part in price runups! They are all cool and worthy of collecting. Dan

Hi,

Just now getting to this thread, but here are a few other thoughts.....

Interior pages from important storylines can and do carry a much higher value, for that very reason. And, this can be despite the fact of who the artist is. Never underestimate the value of nostalgia in any hobby!

Now, I never read this storyline (perhaps I should!), but it sounds like this was an important moment in an important/remembered storyline. Thus, this page may represent the most important work by this particular artist, not because of how he can draw, but because he was drawing at the right place and time!

It sounds like you have a strong attachment to this storyline. If you pass on it, you might regret it. Only you can make that decision. I, for one, have paid two or three or more times the going "value" for a page I've wanted. And, as long as I'm honest to myself and understand that I'm buying it for sentimental reasons (and don't care about resale), then I am always happy with the purchase. You sometimes can't put a price on that "warm feeling" you get when you look at a page that brings back so many good memories.

General rule of thumb: decide if you're buying something for nostalgia or for investment, or somewhere in between. If 100% for nostalgia, offer what you can afford to spend. If 100% for investment, offer 10% below what you feel market value is. And, offer something in between, if you like the page for sentimental reasons yet want to be able to sell it in the future.

Hope that helps a little.

Also, original art does yellow over time if left in sunlight or direct light. Frame it archivally (UV protection, acid-free boards and tape), and keep it in a relatively dark room. Obviously, you put on the lights to show them off. Avoid halogen.

I emailed the guy who is interested in selling me the pages with the comments from earlier in this thread. He emailed me back with the following. Please comment, I'd appreciate the input.

<<Hi Chad -- Dave Wenzel in and of himself is not an expensive artist. Battle

pages from the last issue of a 10 issue story arc (that many consider the BEST

story arc) are ridiculously rare. you will not find ANY Wenzel Avengers pages

for $150.

If you go to www.fanfare-se.com and type in Wenzel you will be shown three

relativly terrible pages with NO battles and NO Avengers present from issue 175

(2 issues before the climax) -- these crappy pages were $450 each.

I can do an even 2K if you like otherwise I will just hold on to them as at this

price I am leaving $100 on the table for each.>>

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He's just trying to make the sale. "Battle pages from the last issue of a 10 issue story arc (that many consider the BEST story arc) are ridiculously rare." 27_laughing.gif They are just as rare as any other page form that run.

And the story arc, while highly regarded, is old news. Avengers collectors who like the story and collectors who buy Avengers art are not necessarly the same people.

Anyway, I will defer to West's opinion and bump my estimate up to around $200.

True; just because you like the story does not always mean you have to have the art. I love, love, love the Avengers/ Defenders crossover from the 70's. My favorite story in comics, but frankly, most of the art ain't so hot. I have not in 15 years found an example I had to have. Dan