• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Market Value

11 posts in this topic

Can someone explain this to me? I'm new to the hobby, and I don't see how an original piece of art can have a market value? Isn't it worth only what someone is willing to pay for it? Seems to me like value would be completely different depending on who the seller is, as well as who the buyer is.

There is no guide to go by like with comics, because OA is one of a kind. So how can you tell someone what the market value of their piece is with any certainty?

Can someone explain this to me? I'm new to the hobby, and I don't see how an original piece of art can have a market value? Isn't it worth only what someone is willing to pay for it? Seems to me like value would be completely different depending on who the seller is, as well as who the buyer is.

There is no guide to go by like with comics, because OA is one of a kind. So how can you tell someone what the market value of their piece is with any certainty?

In the end, you are correct. Yet, with enough information on prior comparable sales, from the same artist, time period, comic run, sequence, comic issue, etc. you can form a general range that can be quite accurate. This is how we formulate our opinions on market value. In the end, however, all it takes is the right timing and the right buyer, and an item that you would think would sell for X will sell for 2X or more. Believe it or not, this is pretty rare, and it is not often that I am surprised by a sale that goes much higher than I expected.

Best,

Post it to ebay and you'll see a pretty good representation of market value of a piece. smile.gif

eBAY is not always the most representative assessment of market value; moreso it is a representation of how many people have a particular amount of cash available at that point, or can muster it together by auction's end. Plus, the exposure is limited, as many collectors no longer check ebay as routinely for art (quality pieces are usually sold privately). This is the reason that auction houses get higher prices on their material, since there's longer exposure, a build-up in excitement, people can save up their money months in advance, and may even try to sell some things to help fund the upcoming possible wins.

So, in general, other routes will often achieve 30-50% higher final prices than ebay. As far as I'm concerned, I'm excited when something nice comes up on ebay, as that means I may get it cheaper. Why? Because I'm only competing against the few potential buyers who actually have the cash at hand.

Best,

Post it to ebay and you'll see a pretty good representation of market value of a piece. smile.gif

eBAY is not always the most representative assessment of market value; moreso it is a representation of how many people have a particular amount of cash available at that point, or can muster it together by auction's end. Plus, the exposure is limited, as many collectors no longer check ebay as routinely for art (quality pieces are usually sold privately). This is the reason that auction houses get higher prices on their material, since there's longer exposure, a build-up in excitement, people can save up their money months in advance, and may even try to sell some things to help fund the upcoming possible wins.

So, in general, other routes will often achieve 30-50% higher final prices than ebay. As far as I'm concerned, I'm excited when something nice comes up on ebay, as that means I may get it cheaper. Why? Because I'm only competing against the few potential buyers who actually have the cash at hand.

Best,

This is an extremely good point, especially in light of the relatively short heads-up and time frame of eBay auctions in comparison to a Heritage/All-Star/etc. auction.

Good point Hari. Heritage makes it almost too easy to spend money. Take 6 months to pay, send us artwork on consignment, etc. That's why we are seeing such high prices at their sales. AllStar, Mastro etc usually want the funds within 7 days. Mastro had a VERY nice Frazetta piece recently but were unwilling to give me terms more than 7 days!! Oh well!

eBAY is not always the most representative assessment of market value; moreso it is a representation of how many people have a particular amount of cash available at that point, or can muster it together by auction's end. (snipped)

Hey Hari, I do generally agree with you on the higher end pieces but my comment was more to be taken lighthearted. Plus like I mentioned I think it's a great representation of market value on cheaper pieces where mustering the cash together isn't difficult at all.

eBAY is not always the most representative assessment of market value; moreso it is a representation of how many people have a particular amount of cash available at that point, or can muster it together by auction's end. (snipped)

Hey Hari, I do generally agree with you on the higher end pieces but my comment was more to be taken lighthearted. Plus like I mentioned I think it's a great representation of market value on cheaper pieces where mustering the cash together isn't difficult at all.

Hi,

Yes, I totally agree with you on lower end pieces. Didn't realize you were being sarcastic. I've got a dry sense of humor too, but I've learned that everything comes off serious via the internet (and is the source of 99% of miscommunications!).

Happy holidays,