• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The original MARVEL COMICS Silver Age STAMPS Artwork

43 posts in this topic

Question for the Board . . .

Mark McDermott, of "Simply the Best", has a series of MARVEL COMICS SILVER AGE STAMPS original artworks up "For Trade" on his site.

The artwork for the stamps, Mark insists, are dated 1/9/64 and are the works of Jack Kirby, Marie Severin and Wally Wood.

Some of the characters, from these series of stamps (Mark continues to claim) represent, "the first time to pencil" for them (as such, pre-dating 1st comic-book appearances by a number of characters that include DAREDEVIL, CAPTAIN AMERICA and KA-ZAR).

Here are some scans of the stamp originals - which, to me, look like badly-drawn copies of art by the likes of Kirby, Severin and Wood (as opposed to being drawn specifically by those three) . . .

j8elfq.jpg

j8f67a.jpg

j8f6t5.jpg

j8f78p.jpg

The latter image of DD is particularly interesting. If, as Mark claims, the stamp artwork pre-dates the 1st comic-book appearance of DAREDEVIL, why is it that the image is that of Wally Wood's re-designed costume (with the shadow on the forehead) that debuted in DD # 7? I think it's stretching credulity a bit far to suggest that DD's re-designed costume appeared on a stamp that (alledgedly) was drawn prior to the appearance of the Yellow costume in DD #1 . . .

My beliefs here are that, for whatever reason, the "1/9/64" date is incorrect (anyone know when these stamps appeared?) and that the artwork is by the same hand (based upon published images from the comic-books), as opposed to being by Kirby, Marie Severin or Woody.

Anyone else agree, disagree - or hold other thoughts on the matter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you re-read my message, I said that SOME of the characters are supposed to have appeared on the stamps prior to their comic-book appearances.

In the case of CAP, yes, he did appear in the 40s - but here we're talking about his Silver Age appearance.

Not to confuse matters any further, here's Mark's list of characters appearing on the stamps - that are supposed to pre-date their (Silver Age) comic-book appearances:

CAPTAIN AMERICA

BUCKY

PVT. PERCIVAL PINKERTON (from SGT. FURY)

DAREDEVIL

CAPT. SAVAGE

KA-ZAR

SHAZANA (from DR.STRANGE)

and, erm . . . STAN LEE (???)

Check out Mark's SIMPLY THE BEST web-site for a full range of the stamps . . .

As for the artwork being 'nice', they look badly drawn to me - especially the Spidey image.

I highly doubt that these drawings were done by Kirby, Severin or Wood, unless they had just spent hours drinking at the office happy hour.

Don't forget...they were also dancing on the tables with lamp shades on their heads! Boy that Kirby knew how to throw a party! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Those "stamps" look fishy to me...Dr. Doom looks like he's on crack!

- Hart

I highly doubt that these drawings were done by Kirby, Severin or Wood, unless they had just spent hours drinking at the office happy hour.

Don't forget...they were also dancing on the tables with lamp shades on their heads! Boy that Kirby knew how to throw a party! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

- Hart

Well . . . I did hear he's partial to smoking the odd spliff . . .

j8iq02.jpg

- Hart

Well . . . I did hear he's partial to smoking the odd spliff . . .

j8iq02.jpg

Terry!!!! Guess what I found in my attic!!! The first Dr. Doom prototype stamp!!! WOW what a find...I think I'll put it on ebay! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

drPirate.jpg

Terry!!!! Guess what I found in my attic!!! The first Dr. Doom prototype stamp!!! WOW what a find...I think I'll put it on ebay! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

drPirate.jpg

Nope, everybody knows that's the Thing from his appearance as a pirate in F.F. # 5.

Here's my favourite "first time pencil to paper" Marvel character from Mark's landmark stamp series . . .

j9bwxh.jpg

There was someone on these boards that probably could have seriously

answered your question.

I guess we must have felt he knew to much or was to outspoken

and removed his participation.

For myself, I think it's highly unlikely that:

a. These stamps date from 1/9/64.

b. They're the work of Jack Kirby, Marie Severin or Wally Wood.

As such, I think that Mark McDermott's claims are way off-base. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I know what I believe - and was simply interested to hear the thoughts/opinions of others.

As for KK, I very much doubt that he's far away . . . wink.gif

There was someone on these boards that probably could have seriously answered your question.

I guess we must have felt he knew to much or was to outspoken

and removed his participation.

Thank God.

gossip.gif Don't worry, he hasn't gone far.

Question for the Board . . .

Mark McDermott, of "Simply the Best", has a series of MARVEL COMICS SILVER AGE STAMPS original artworks up "For Trade" on his site.

The artwork for the stamps, Mark insists, are dated 1/9/64 and are the works of Jack Kirby, Marie Severin and Wally Wood.

Some of the characters, from these series of stamps (Mark continues to claim) represent, "the first time to pencil" for them (as such, pre-dating 1st comic-book appearances by a number of characters that include DAREDEVIL, CAPTAIN AMERICA and KA-ZAR).

Here are some scans of the stamp originals - which, to me, look like badly-drawn copies of art by the likes of Kirby, Severin and Wood (as opposed to being drawn specifically by those three) . . .

j8f78p.jpg

The latter image of DD is particularly interesting. If, as Mark claims, the stamp artwork pre-dates the 1st comic-book appearance of DAREDEVIL, why is it that the image is that of Wally Wood's re-designed costume (with the shadow on the forehead) that debuted in DD # 7? I think it's stretching credulity a bit far to suggest that DD's re-designed costume appeared on a stamp that (alledgedly) was drawn prior to the appearance of the Yellow costume in DD #1 . . .

My beliefs here are that, for whatever reason, the "1/9/64" date is incorrect (anyone know when these stamps appeared?) and that the artwork is by the same hand (based upon published images from the comic-books), as opposed to being by Kirby, Marie Severin or Woody.

Anyone else agree, disagree - or hold other thoughts on the matter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've been having another look at these stamps, on Mark's SIMPLY THE BEST web-site, and here's the stamp featuring SUB-MARINER:

mwfplt.jpg

Does anyone else, here, think this stamp looks as though it was based on Wally Wood's shot of Subby from the cover to DAREDEVIL # 7?

To re-iterate Mark's claims, he insists these stamps date from a time before DD made it to a comic-book - ie, "1/9/64"

So . . .how is it the DAREDEVIL and SUB-MARINER stamps look like copies of Wood's work for DD # 7 (April 1965)?

Thoughts anyone 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks, Spider . . . saved me the trouble of scanning it myself.

Visually, the evidence clearly indicates that Mark's date - for whatever reason - is totally wrong.

I'm not suggesting the stamps are not without interest or worth, but I do think it's wrong for them to be mis-represented as:

*** "First time to Paper" for a bunch of those characters (pre-dating comic-book debuts). yeahok.gif

*** The work of Kirby and Wood (I think they're just poorly-drawn copies of published images). 27_laughing.gif

I have no axe to grind with Mark McDermott, incidentally (when I exchanged e-mails with him a few months back, he was very pleasant), but I do think he needs to revise his assertions. Mark has the stamps in his "For Trade" section which, to my mind, suggests he has high expectations for them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They're interesting curios, but certainly not of the kind of historical importance Mark claims. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I appreciate that Mark turns up lots of (otherwise) important pieces of art, and it has ocurred to me that not many people may want to participate in this discussion, on the off-chance it might prejudice possible future deals with Mark? confused-smiley-013.gif

For myself, I think this definitely needs to be highlighted to any potential buyers or would-be traders. 893naughty-thumb.gif

My hypothesis is that the true date is later and some Marvel production person either copied or traced existing images to produce the stamps. The quality of the illustrations is certainly not up to par with any of the Marvel bullpen members.