• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much did you pay for your Origin 9.8´s?

28 posts in this topic

Because I think I paid way to much.

35$ each for Origin #2 and #3 (those are the only ones I got)

While it is maybe still ok for #2, I think I should have not gone higher than 25$ for #3, dont you think?

The Origins in 9.8 are pretty easy to come by on ebay for extremely cheap if you snipe! tongue.gif I bought a few extra copies of Origin #1 & #2 both CGC 9.8 a few weeks back using a BUY IT NOW for $60! I turned around and sold the #1 the following week for $90 smirk.gif

Origin #3's & #6's in 9.8 condition seems to be the easiest one to find out of the set. #4 had a dark cover so there were less 9.8's on that particular issue.

Gotcha Bri, to each his own. NM is a given on most Modern books, even without CGC telling you that. Even though you'll see plenty of CGC 9.0 and 9.2 moderns out there. But picking books that are CGC NM/MT or MINT is a totally different story, and is what I believe our original poster was getting at.

By your statement that your getting Origin 1-6 as a set for $20 in 9.8 was probably misconstrued, as shown in his follow up question. I'm just trying to break it down that NO ONE in their sound mind would sell you an Origin 1-6 set graded at CGC 9.8 each for $20 smirk.gif

Yep, but I'd also question who in their right mind buys moderns (3 years old and newer) CGC only? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, just like my spending 20 dollars on non-CGC ones doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to u smile.gif

Brian

??? Misunderstanding...

I think anyone who wants to collect a graded run on modern titles would be buying CGC books moderns less than 3 yrs old. To keep and hold onto. Once slabbed less likely that it'll get damaged as with other storage means...

If you bought a full set of Origin 1-6 for $20 then you bought it at cover price when they came out. Nowadays, you'd be hard pressed to find that selling as a set, ungraded, for $20 total.

Now if you are talking about a graded set of Origin 1-6 all at CGC 9.8, then you are looking to spend on eBay around $300. I was just pointing out that you had inadvertently misled our initial mew poster with your statement, making him think that you actually just bought a actual CGC graded set of Origin 1-6 at CGC 9.8 for a low low price of $20.

Technically I have bought a 9.8 set of comics for 20 dollars..just b/c I'm not CGC doesn't mean I can't grade my comics. I don't know why people can't just grade their own stuff, esp modern, I guarantee if I sent these books to someone else..they graded them for me..and sent them back..no1 would even give me 100 dollars for them..it's funny what people do for a number, plastic case, and a nice comic. Given, I do enjoy buying CGC books when they're not ridiculously priced..but I do think there are people out there that grade as well and better then they do...and just b/c they aren't running some company that sticks comic books into pieces of plastic they're immediately written off.

Brian

Never doubted your grading skillz but CGc does not and can not buy or sell their own books. Unlike other folks who you are referring to, 9out of 10 are comic dealers/collectors, which automatically biases their grading. Even for a third party. CGC just has built that rep that we would pay more for it. I don't discount everyone else's grading but I probably wouldn't pay the same for those books as I would for a CGC book that has gone thru resto check, and grading process, plus the neat slab which is practically archival...

So you're saying people who work for CGC can't ever buy a CGC book? I don't see why you'd expect an independant third party to be more biased that CGC. It doesn't make sense..both have no vested interest in the book. To say that CGC can grade unbiased but another independant 3rd party can't is kinda "spreading the blanket too far".

Brian

So you're saying people who work for CGC can't ever buy a CGC book?

Plain and simple, yes. CGC employees can not buy or sell CGC graded books. That is what I have been told. By a CGC employee.

I guess I'm taking it a bit far, but independant third party graders that have knowledge of comics and grading, at a more in depth level than you or I, like I said probably 9 times out of tem, have vested interests in comics and the industry, thus in my opinion, biasing their grading a tad.

How do they have a vested interest in a book they aren't/can't buy..I don't see it. Certainly if you were selling it to them, but you aren't and won't be. These are the same excuses I've seen other people make about why ppl will pay for CGC but not another independant person grading a comic and personally, I don't think they hold much water.

Brian

Here is a hypothetical:

What if I were asked to grade a book for a sale between you and greggy. Let's do modern becasue I know no other genre tongue.gif

Let's say greggy is selling you a Origin 1 that is Greggy guaranteed but not slabbed by CGC. He's got his own grade in mind in selling it to you.

I have a copy of Origin 1 CGC 10.0 and lets say it was the only one at this point that exists. What's the chances of me agreeing with Greggy's estimation of the book? What are the chances that I call it a 10.0, knowing that doing so, if my opinion had any weight in the comic grading community, I would be devaluing my own copy?

I'm grading as an independant third party, yet I have a vested interest in seeing that this book doesn't grade as well as anything in my collection or anything in my close business partners/friends collection. Granted if this got out, I wouldn't be in business long. But if you are a big name and trusted dealer, wouldn't you be able to pull it off, intentionally or unintentionally? Everyone can make a mistake. The room for foul play is too big. And once again it all comes down to who do you trust to do this right. I guess if you found three independent third party graders and aberaged their numerical assessments, you'd be replicating a process much like CGCs, but who's grade would you give more weight to, and in effect, wouldn't you be playing the role of finalizer in this scenario?

You're adding so many qualifiers that it makes your opinion undeniable. Hell if I do this, then they have this, then this is this and that is that..what are the chances of this? There's as you said, very few 10.0's. Playing the "if and if and if" game on the other foot..what if the guy I'm showing this book to doesn't believe in CGC grading and owns NO CGC books..he has absolutely no reason to not grade it accurately. Prior to the census, a book was a book in that particular grade..now everything is a number and a certain "rarity".

Brian

good counterpoint...to answer...if your 3rd party grader of choice as no CGc books or doesn't believe in the CGC grading standards (which hybridizes the best of Overstreet and Wizard, in my opinion) then everything would be back the way it was before CGC - where one third party grader calls it NM and another may go VF. The benefit of CGC is that it is a visible standard that is slowly becoming hobby- and industrywide.

Only reason I add qualifiers is not to change the initial point, but to emphasize it by reinforcing with plausible scenarios.