• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LA Weekly article on COMIC ART!

4 posts in this topic

For the past six years, as editor of a southern West Virginia newspaper called The Logan Banner, I have ran countless articles on comic books and comic art, including a huge article on comic art and comic art fans and collectors. I even ran one all about Bill Cox and his wonderful web site www.comicartfans.com!

Earlier this year, I ran interviews I conducted with Tim Truman, Carmine Infantino, Brad Meltzer, Dan Adkins, Jimmy Palmiotti, Wendy and Richard Pini and other artists and writers and hundreds of other review columns. In previous years, I focused on others such as Al Hartley and Bob Overstreet (who is originally from Huntington, W.Va.).

The column is called "Meanwhile..." and is all about comics — interviews, news and reviews. I run it usually on Tuesdays, but sometimes, depending on how much space I have, I run two a week and sometimes three.

"Meanwhile..." has proven very popular with our younger readers and some of my columns and articles have even been picked up by our sister papers (we own 300 newspapers all across the United States) and by The Associated Press (with whom I've worked for the past 13 years).

I don't think our website has any of the articles archived, but you can find them each week by going to www.loganbanner.com.

I actually started the comic book column at a newspaper in eastern Kentucky way back in 1994 and continued it at another local newspaper here in West Virginia, then I took it with me to Tennessee at a paper in the Knoxville area (where I ran a great column on Beau Smith helping to broker the Mark McGwire/Sammy Sosa homerun baseball deal for Todd McFarlane) and then brought it back here to The Logan Banner. One of my reviews this year even made it onto the back of the Elfquest: The Searcher and the Sword softcover.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Thanks for reading.

Mike Browning

For the past six years, as editor of a southern West Virginia newspaper called The Logan Banner, I have ran countless articles on comic books and comic art, including a huge article on comic art and comic art fans and collectors. I even ran one all about Bill Cox and his wonderful web site www.comicartfans.com!

Earlier this year, I ran interviews I conducted with Tim Truman, Carmine Infantino, Brad Meltzer, Dan Adkins, Jimmy Palmiotti, Wendy and Richard Pini and other artists and writers and hundreds of other review columns. In previous years, I focused on others such as Al Hartley and Bob Overstreet (who is originally from Huntington, W.Va.).

The column is called "Meanwhile..." and is all about comics — interviews, news and reviews. I run it usually on Tuesdays, but sometimes, depending on how much space I have, I run two a week and sometimes three.

"Meanwhile..." has proven very popular with our younger readers and some of my columns and articles have even been picked up by our sister papers (we own 300 newspapers all across the United States) and by The Associated Press (with whom I've worked for the past 13 years).

I don't think our website has any of the articles archived, but you can find them each week by going to www.loganbanner.com.

I actually started the comic book column at a newspaper in eastern Kentucky way back in 1994 and continued it at another local newspaper here in West Virginia, then I took it with me to Tennessee at a paper in the Knoxville area (where I ran a great column on Beau Smith helping to broker the Mark McGwire/Sammy Sosa homerun baseball deal for Todd McFarlane) and then brought it back here to The Logan Banner. One of my reviews this year even made it onto the back of the Elfquest: The Searcher and the Sword softcover.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Thanks for reading.

Mike Browning

Mike, thanks for the heads up. I checked out your column for this week "When was the Golden Age?" (in the Opinion section of the website for those interested in reading it as well...here's the link ). I'll be sure to check the column out in the weeks to come.

Thanks for sharing & Happy New Year to all you Comic Art Addicts out there!!! smile.gif

-Hart