• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you first learn of the CGC forum?

328 posts in this topic

I was thinking tonight about how many hundreds of people post here and started wondering where everyone came from, so to speak.

Personally, Steve Borock told me about these forums when I called to ask about having a book graded that I had won from ebay seller Comic-Keys right as the CBG story was breaking.

How did the rest of you guys find this place? If you lurked for a while, what was the impetus that started you posting? I think it could be interesting to find out how everyone made it here, so post away with your stories!

I began posting on Doug's Pedigree site when it first opened.

Doug wrote a paragraph or two about the learning opportunity's that the CGC forums may give to people wanting to gain further info on the hobby of comic collecting.

I was warmly welcomed to the CGC boards by "Greggy" & "Deathlok" as I had a few short conversations with them on Dougs site.

I lurk around here quite a lot and post from time to time.

Regards,

Russ... flowerred.gif

I can't remeber exactly . . . grin.gif But I think Rickdogg said I couldn't grade worth a [embarrassing lack of self control] and Supa sent me an e-mail telling me to come on and defend myself . . . then they all skewered me in classic newbie fashion 27_laughing.gif

Don't know why I ever stayed after that . . . screwy.gifdevil.gifhi.gif

Happy New Year!

Drbanner contacted me via EMAIL after I sold my FF 49 CGC 9.6 for around twice as much as my 9.6 FF48 on eBay. He mentioned that he started a thread here so I decided to check it out. The rest is history. makepoint.gif

I was a lurker/occassional poster on joequesada.com, having started buying moderns after a several year hiatus from the hobby. I previously collected silver age Marvels, and they began to pique my interest again. I asked on joequesada.com if anyone could suggest a good forum for older books. Someone recommend the CGC forums. I only went back to Quesada's site once after I came here. I actually lurked on the CGC forums for several months before even signing up for an account and posting for the first time.

BTW, I always thought JQ's site was weird because there were guys on there who had thousands of posts, yet hated Marvel and Joe's work. Then I come here and see the people who hate CGC/slabs that post on a regular basis!

Drbanner contacted me via EMAIL after I sold my FF 49 CGC 9.6 for around twice as much as my 9.6 FF48 on eBay. He mentioned that he started a thread here so I decided to check it out. The rest is history. makepoint.gif

You owned an FF 48 and 49?!?!?!? This world never ceases to amaze me. I actually have respect for you now! stooges.gifhi.gif

You owned an FF 48 and 49?!?!?!? This world never ceases to amaze me. I actually have respect for you now! stooges.gifhi.gif

Yeah, I dumped it to buy better books. poke2.gif

How did the rest of you guys find this place? If you lurked for a while, what was the impetus that started you posting? I think it could be interesting to find out how everyone made it here, so post away with your stories!

I learned about it through you FFB. hi.gif A couple of years ago I found the CBG boards and lurked for a while. The discussions were heated, with amazing information flow. You, Zipper, Iron MANiac, Hammer and others made me want to ask questions, so I joined CBG.

After CBG crashed & burned over admin-madness you emailed me to try here. All I knew of the CGC boards back then was it's owned by a grading service, and it was Bug's homebase. 27_laughing.gif Whenever I peeked in I saw lots and lots of emoticons inside ever-expanding boxes. I just wasn't comfortable, but found some interesting stuff too. (five stars to Povertyrow's restoration posts! hail.gif)

Then the Ewert scandal made me think 'those CGC guys' are just like the rest of us. Without balanced pro and con information flow, some level-headed smackdown debates, the odds of getting burned go WAY up for consumers. So... flowerred.gif

After it was mentioned on the very short-lived ComicInvestor.com Forum... smirk.gif

A number of current Forum members posted there as well...those were the days... cloud9.gif

Jim

Ditto.....at that point in time I would have followed Scottish everywhere cloud9.gif

Everyone hated me, and then I just kind of started to fit in. Have to say I love it though, it is the first thing I check everyday.

I knew about CGC but never frequented the forums until I started to research some information on an anti-communist book. I remember how tough the crowd was on my first post, I was greeted with the following response by an active forumite:

“Adios Shill-boy! 893censored-thumb.gif Off! "

Everyone hated me, and then I just kind of started to fit in. Have to say I love it though, it is the first thing I check everyday.

I knew about CGC but never frequented the forums until I started to research some information on an anti-communist book. I remember how tough the crowd was on my first post, I was greeted with the following response by an active forumite:

“Adios Shill-boy! 893censored-thumb.gif Off! "

Gotta love our rallying cry smile.gif

After searching for my name in the CGC forums after looking through the CGC site when I became interested in certified books. I found my name: the infamous dam60 and Ghosts #2 "I paid $100 too much" because of Sterling thread. 27_laughing.gif

Sadly, I need a 9.4 copy to this day foreheadslap.gif

I found out about this Forum when, after unwittingly bidding on a dodgy seller's married books, I was alerted via email to a thread on this Forum about him.

After lurking for a couple of months and reading many entertaining threads (this was around the time of the Hammer implosion) I finally decided to join an internet Forum, something I'd never considered doing before.

And I've been here ever since....

Gotta love our rallying cry smile.gif

I probably deserved it. Apparently I breeched protocol by initially posting in a controversial thread. I didn’t know that newbies were only supposed to post friendly graemlins or limit discussion in topics such as "which superhero is strongest?" confused-smiley-013.gif

Edited by Harvey Dude

Just checking out what CGC was on the website when i saw the forums. Didn't sign up for two or three months, just read bits here and there. Then finally decided to sign up! yay.gif