• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU DON'T OWN
1 1

265 posts in this topic

Miss America #1 NM+

I take it the Church copy, graded a mere 9.4 by CGC, which is currently up on Heritage's January Signature Auction, is not adequate?

Tim...I have a watch bid on it (as well as on the 9.0) but I won't buy anymore slabs. mad.gif

I own araich's restored #7.5 and I think it is just the most wonderful cover. I gave it to my wife and she has it on display in our bedroom. thumbsup2.gif

House of Mystery #174

House of Secrets #81

House of Secrets #92

Witching Hour #1

Ghosts #1

Anyone notice a trend here? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You go man!!! Bronze Horror is great!!! thumbsup2.gif

Edited by Timulty

Miss America #1 NM+

I take it the Church copy, graded a mere 9.4 by CGC, which is currently up on Heritage's January Signature Auction, is not adequate?

Tim...I have a watch bid on it (as well as on the 9.0) but I won't buy anymore slabs. mad.gif

M, isn't it cutting your nose to spite your face to not buy a book just because someone at some time decided to put it in a slab? You can always free it. Now, if you're saying you won't pay a slabbed price for a comic, that's a different matter.

Detective 27

Action 1

Showcase 4

Green Lantern 1 SA

Justice League of America 1

Maybe I'll get 2 or 3 of these someday....

I will never own the first two, barring some freak accident like winning the lottery (which I don't play). crazy.gif

Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Well, I could state the obvious high dollar books but since I mostly collect BA stuff, I'll give a list of grails I hope to actually obtain in my lifetime (HG of course)

Marvel Spotlight #5

Marvel Spotlight #32

Conan #1

Ghost Rider #1

Marvel Premier #15

In the spirit of TTH2, I'll list specific copies... not just the comic...

Action#1 - - Church copy

Tec 27 - - Allentown copy

Batman #1 - - whichever ungraded copy is 9.2 or better!

Superman #1 -- - whichever ungraded copy is 8.5 or better

AF15 9.6 or a 9.8 if it exists!

So aside from the last one, guess I gotta slip over the Virgina state line with burglars tools!!

just kidding Dave.

This is odd but I don't have any specific grails sorry.gif Maybe it comes from not being too condition conscious and there being too many different comics I'd like to have to read - Atlas War books, some select Western series, random Hillman titles, nifty Timely Teen books, ... and that's just talking about GA and Atom Age. Help me ... I need grails ...

This is odd but I don't have any specific grails sorry.gif Maybe it comes from not being too condition conscious and there being too many different comics I'd like to have to read - Atlas War books, some select Western series, random Hillman titles, nifty Timely Teen books, ... and that's just talking about GA and Atom Age. Help me ... I need grails ...

I have hundreds of grails.

You are doing just fine. thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I can quite relate to that. That was one of the marvelous discoveries about GA books for me: the wild diversity of covers, genres and even artistic styles. I'm "reasonably" focused on early Superman & Batman books these days, but anything in my top ten could be quickly and suddenly bumped if I were confronted with the right Schomburg Timely war cover, or early Fox cover by Lou Fine, or pre-Batman Detective, or LB Cole Catman cover... anyway, you get the idea. thumbsup2.gif

yay.gif Thank you guys. Everyone else chiming in sounded so definitive, like Mica on a safari, intent on bagging specific targets than I felt not sanguine enough for being allowed to stay on the boards. I feel better now. I can go back to entering posts no-one replies to thumbsup2.gif

More seriously, there are too many books I'd rather have than some of the most sought after ones listed here. As for the reason ... I have the Cap America (since Timulty mentioned him) Classic Years collections with the S&K stuff and I could barely read them. I would love to have a Cap 1 but the story isn't that good. Heck I also sold my Shazam! archives to Timulty since the stories didn't grab me either. I bought the JLA Showcase DC put out and have not yet been able to finish reading even the first story!! I understand the collectability (sp?) of these books as Norinn would say is from their historical importance but for a book to be a grail to me it would need BOTH historicality and readability. So, can you guys give me a list of some books that meet both criteria. I have never read the Flash story in Showcase 4. Is it any good? Tim, anyone, ...