• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If You Found a Case of 20 NM Action Comics #1's...............

110 posts in this topic

..............what would you do (after jumping up and down of course)? Assume that all books range between 9.0 and 9.4 in grade and are unrestored.

Would you keep the find private and try to sell off one book at a time so you don't flood the market, or would you brag about your find to everyone including the newspapers?

Would you have all or some of the books slabbed, or would you keep them all raw? How many copies will you keep for your private collection, and how many will you sell off? If selling, would you just list them on Heritage, Ebay or ComicLink and try and get the FMV, or would you hold on to them for a couple of years to build BSD's interest.

Personally, I'd probably have at least 2 of the books slabbed (not the best 2) and sold thru an auction site or via a personal high offer. This way I can at least buy a house, get my finances together, and have some money left over to slab and insure the rest if I need to. However, I have no idea how to approach the other 18 copies, and whether I'd keep the find secret or not!

How will the rest of you approach this great news?

Let's see. I would cherry pick 5 of the best and do the full Mylar thing. I would save 2 copies to give to friends. The rest get slabbed, one at a time then release to the market in 2 year increments. The money would get put in an interest bearing account or some such financial tool. I would live off the percentage of the interest for the next 26 years. Then 5 years later, I would dump 1 book every 4 months. Live well and prosper the rest of my natural days.

Would you keep your find somewhat secret as to how many books you actually found?

Another option would be to trade most of these books for other high grade copies like Marvel Comics #1 or Superman #1. The Action Comics #1 may cost more now, but if 20 HG copies now exist, would that depress the value 20 years down the line vs. let's say a scarcer Detective Comics #27 or something?

Q: If You Found a Case of 20 NM Action Comics #1's, what would you do (after jumping up and down of course)?

A: Sell them off gradually (keeping the nicest one for myself of course).

This question has been posed before in the Gold Forum, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread.

I'd try to press the 9.4s into 9.6s insane.gif

Seriously, I would probably get 10 graded to sell through an auction site (one at a time of course). I would try to trade maybe 5 of them for other books I'm interested in (Tec 27, 31, Action #7, etc). I'd raffle one off to board members with the proceeds going to charity. acclaim.gif Then I'd keep 4 for myself to enjoy.

Q: If You Found a Case of 20 NM Action Comics #1's, what would you do (after jumping up and down of course)?

This question has been posed before in the Gold Forum, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread.

Would you let the cat out the bag during your gradual sell off?

Would you keep your find somewhat secret as to how many books you actually found?

Another option would be to trade most of these books for other high grade copies like Marvel Comics #1 or Superman #1. The Action Comics #1 may cost more now, but if 20 HG copies now exist, would that depress the value 20 years down the line vs. let's say a scarcer Detective Comics #27 or something?

Well, now that you brought it up. I would have to trade out at least 2 of the comics, of my original 5 that I kept, for trades. I always forget about that since this point in my collecting, I really haven't had anything to trade.

why, I'd keep just one copy, and then give the others to the fine forum members here of course flowerred.gif

Wow, choosing which 19 forum members can be tricky and dangerous at the same time. I'd personally clean your house and do your grocery shopping for a year to be included on that list. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'd stage some sort of dramatic meltdown at some Con or other and just rip the cover off of it in disgust and start to eat it.... Like maybe after offering it to a few dealers and making outrageous demands like a briefcase full of cash right then and there. That would be awesome!

well thanks, I appreciate it, seriously, if the good lord smiled on me and I was fortunate enough to find a case of Actions like that, I couldn't be greedy, I'd keep one for myself cuz I'm a huge Superman fan, then I'd want to give the other copies to people who can truly appreciate a book like that,. which are the collectors who are collecting cuz they love the hobby,

I'd do this only after changing my underwear cuz I'm quite sure I'd S*** myself if I did find a case of Action #1's

IF you submitted just 5 of those nm action 1s it would knock down the near mint price of the book.D.A ACTION #1 is the most valuable because of 2 reasons.Its the highest grade and there is only 1[one]in that grade.He would not have been offered 2 million if there were 5 in that grade.There would have been more competition essentially

i would announce how i just found an undisturbed cache of six Action #1s and that they were all going to Sarasota. Then I would sell them.

i would keep the rest for a rainy day

I would sell the 6.5 and follow it with a sale of 1 of the near mints[id keep the best copy for myself.I would than sit on the other 18 copies for a few years so i would have the time to think of what to properly do with the other 18 as i would not make a quick and harsh decision to be sure

Would you let the cat out the bag during your gradual sell off?

Hell no!

I have actually owned 3 copies of this book over the last 15 years]

an unrestored good,a restored vg[neither book was cgc graded , and the current 6.5

which is cgc graded unrestored.I t is the only Action 1 I have presently

Action1kid, what's the story again with your copy of Action #1 ? wasn't it first a 5.5 then you resubbed it and it got a 6.5 ? if I'm wrong I totally apologize, I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but I thought I read you mentioned that a while back, but now I can't remember the story...

HI

It was originally the 5.5.It was resubbed to a 6.5.I did not do the re-sub.The previous owner did it.I bought it as the 6.5.I believe if you look at the census,the 5.5 and the 6.5 are the same book.The 5.5 needs to be taken out.