• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If You Found a Case of 20 NM Action Comics #1's...............

110 posts in this topic

I'd stage some sort of dramatic meltdown at some Con or other and just rip the cover off of it in disgust and start to eat it.... Like maybe after offering it to a few dealers and making outrageous demands like a briefcase full of cash right then and there. That would be awesome!

sign-funnypost.gif

HI

It was originally the 5.5.It was resubbed to a 6.5.I did not do the re-sub.The previous owner did it.I bought it as the 6.5.I believe if you look at the census,the 5.5 and the 6.5 are the same book.The 5.5 needs to be taken out.

Thanks for the info, AK1. I did not know that, and will add it to my upgrade database.

I would keep the best copy and then sell the 2nd and 3rd best copies slowly over the space of a couple of years to make some decent money. As soon as I sold the 3rd copy, I would flood the market with the remaining copies to crater the market, because GA collectors bug me! tongue.gif

Why couldn't it be a case of Astonishing Tales #25?? frustrated.gif

Because there already ARE cases of them. gossip.gif

I heard of this nut job in Southern California who owns tons and tons of them. Can you imagine? screwy.gif27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

I'd stage some sort of dramatic meltdown at some Con or other and just rip the cover off of it in disgust and start to eat it.... Like maybe after offering it to a few dealers and making outrageous demands like a briefcase full of cash right then and there. That would be awesome!

sign-funnypost.gif

acclaim.gif

That would be just the first copy of course, not all of them. And while I was chewing on the cover I'd rant about anyone wanting a piece of an Action 1 to follow me to the bathroom and I'd [embarrassing lack of self control] it out for them. Then I'd start busting the joint up and get the cops to haul me away...

Great thread idea!

insane.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

acclaim.gif

That would be just the first copy of course, not all of them. And while I was chewing on the cover I'd rant about anyone wanting a piece of an Action 1 to follow me to the bathroom and I'd [embarrassing lack of self control] it out for them. Then I'd start busting the joint up and get the cops to haul me away...

Great thread idea!

insane.gif

27_laughing.gif I sense much anger in you, Woog!

insane.gif

Heck, it'll probably still look a lot better than that crappy 2.5 copy floating around!

Why couldn't it be a case of Astonishing Tales #25?? frustrated.gif

Because there already ARE cases of them. gossip.gif

I heard of this nut job in Southern California who owns tons and tons of them. Can you imagine? screwy.gif27_laughing.gif

poke2.gif

There is?? How can I get a hold of this guy to buy his stuff??

..............what would you do (after jumping up and down of course)? Assume that all books range between 9.0 and 9.4 in grade and are unrestored.

Would you keep the find private and try to sell off one book at a time so you don't flood the market, or would you brag about your find to everyone including the newspapers?

Would you have all or some of the books slabbed, or would you keep them all raw? How many copies will you keep for your private collection, and how many will you sell off? If selling, would you just list them on Heritage, Ebay or ComicLink and try and get the FMV, or would you hold on to them for a couple of years to build BSD's interest.

Personally, I'd probably have at least 2 of the books slabbed (not the best 2) and sold thru an auction site or via a personal high offer. This way I can at least buy a house, get my finances together, and have some money left over to slab and insure the rest if I need to. However, I have no idea how to approach the other 18 copies, and whether I'd keep the find secret or not!

How will the rest of you approach this great news?

I'd send them all to Heritage and watch them turn into 9.8s. thumbsup2.gif

HI

It was originally the 5.5.It was resubbed to a 6.5.I did not do the re-sub.The previous owner did it.I bought it as the 6.5.I believe if you look at the census,the 5.5 and the 6.5 are the same book.The 5.5 needs to be taken out.

hey thanks for the info Action1kid, I've seen the Heritage scans of your book and it definitely looks better than a 5.5., I don't know what CGC was thinking the first time around... screwy.gif

HI

One more resub and history shows it could go up to a 9.0, just needs a little more clean and press poke2.gif

I'd grade them one at a time (so as to not bloat the census) and sell one every 1-2 years and live off the proceeds (and invest the rest).

Like all other comic geeks, I've thought about this as well, another option would be to find the 20 bigshots who can pay FMV on the book and get them to buy a copy all at once before they chatter among themselves too much and realize that I'm not trying to sell all 20 of them 1 Action #1, but trying to sell them each a copy. This options seems the toughest as I have a tough time imagining that they won't be talking to eachother, at least a few of them.

..............what would you do (after jumping up and down of course)? Assume that all books range between 9.0 and 9.4 in grade and are unrestored.

Would you keep the find private and try to sell off one book at a time so you don't flood the market, or would you brag about your find to everyone including the newspapers?

Would you have all or some of the books slabbed, or would you keep them all raw? How many copies will you keep for your private collection, and how many will you sell off? If selling, would you just list them on Heritage, Ebay or ComicLink and try and get the FMV, or would you hold on to them for a couple of years to build BSD's interest.

Personally, I'd probably have at least 2 of the books slabbed (not the best 2) and sold thru an auction site or via a personal high offer. This way I can at least buy a house, get my finances together, and have some money left over to slab and insure the rest if I need to. However, I have no idea how to approach the other 18 copies, and whether I'd keep the find secret or not!

How will the rest of you approach this great news?

I'd get them prescreened at CGC, get them back, then sell them in private transactions with a guarantee that CGC will grade them as blue label [insert grade].

Then, a la Ackroyd and Murphy in Trading Places, I buy them all back as the realization that there's 20 of them drives the price down. With the net profit I also buy up all remaining HG copies of Action 1, burn all but 3 in a highly publicized prime-time event, then sell or rent the remaining copies to major corporations for the privilege of showing them off like major works of art.