• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should there be a standard for forum auctions?

59 posts in this topic

As there appears to be a growing trend of forum auctions,shoud we establish some kind of standard auction format?

Not that it would be binding on everyone to use,but auctions could indicate they are using the forum standard or not.

One standard I would like to see is no last minte sniping. I think a rule that the auctions ends five minutes after the last bid is recieved would be better.

I also think bids should be posted on the forums,not by PMs,ad I also think there should be a minimum amount of posts before one can bid or sell.

Any thoughts,and or furthur suggestions?

As there appears to be a growing trend of forum auctions,shoud we establish some kind of standard auction format?

Not that it would be binding on everyone to use,but auctions could indicate they are using the forum standard or not.

One standard I would like to see is no last minte sniping. I think a rule that the auctions ends five minutes after the last bid is recieved would be better.

I also think bids should be posted on the forums,not by PMs,ad I also think there should be a minimum amount of posts before one can bid or sell.

While I respect people's need for anonymity, "private" PM bidding is an easy way to shill up your auction without anyone knowing. I'm fine with forum people that I know and trust telling me there's a private bid but I certainly wouldn't be happy just anyone doing it.

This brings me to your final point about X number of posts before one can bid or sell. I think it's an excellent suggestion.

I don't think we should overcomplicate things.

The good thing about selling via these forums is it is much easier than using eBay/comiclink/whatever.

As long as the seller clearly states the auction criteria in the opening post, then I don't think a standard is neccessary.

I'm assuming my first auction has put the wheels in motion.

Why the minimum posts.....?.....seems kind of arbitrary.

I like the idea of no last minute sniping.

I prefer bids to be posted also.

I like solid bid increments.

I think 5 minutes from the time of last bid sounds reasonable.

I sometimes think we make up too many rules. After all these are just comics. flowerred.gif

My "minimum" posts standard is to stop shills.

And no one particular auction caused this,several did.

If the sellers were to list the rules,there would be no problem except few do,If we establish a standard,then all the seller needs say is "standard format"

It wouldn't be mandatory but stating the auction is run by a particular standard makes it easier.

I think the minimum number of posts needed, while good in theory, is exclusive and unneccesary. People here are probably more astute about valuations. I also think people here running auctions are more well known. However, if some new person came in and started an auction, and then some other new member was bidding up any of the books it would set off all sorts of bells and whistles. I've seen plenty of posts about real and perceived shilling activity on ebay. I don't think it's necessary here. That is not to say that someone that was well known, and trusted, couldn't all of a sudden start doing dastardly things to bilk people, but the minimum number of posts wouldn't prevent that, would it?

I would say the standard needed is that if you bid on a book and win it. You pay for it and the seller ships it to you. That's all. Simple and precise. If someone doesn't pay, they should get an anti-kudos in the marketplace forum.

I would say the standard needed is that if you bid on a book and win it. You pay for it and the seller ships it to you. That's all. Simple and precise. If someone doesn't pay, they should get an anti-kudos in the marketplace forum.

What about shill bidding?

What about shill bidding?

Many people are worried about shill bidding. Are there really that many insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that are regulars on this forum that would actually do such a thing? I'm not worried about it, but then again I feel as if the majority of us are good, decent, honest people. As somebody else implied, I think that we are somewhat of an anal-retentive bunch and can overcomplicate things, think too much (as a group) and make mountains out of molehills. I say just let it be, but always buyer/bidder beware.

I agree. 1 strike and you are out. I sell very little on ebay these days. If I am lucky, I might get a reply a week after the end of the auction. I think things would run much smoother in the CGC forum.

A note on minimum number of posts. I think judging how respectable or responsible someone is as a seller or buyer for that matter is retarded. insane.gif

I see lots of people's posts in the hundreds or thousands, but when I look up their "contributions", it's a bunch of graemlins, or one liners, that don't really contribute. I could have one thousand posts by now, by posting "I agree" to 12 posts per day that I actually agree with and sending a couple of graemlins a day.

Instead, I read those posts that really interest me because I don't have time for much else, and contribute only when necessary.

I can even take this further. How many of you have sent a PM with an offer for a book, and posted "PM sent", I see them all the time. A worthy contribution???

I think not. In fact I've read some sellers have become frustrated frustrated.gifbecause their thread would become longer and longer with a bunch of these. I realize on the other hand that it does show interest in the books to other people among other things.

You could go on and on about semantics of posting, but I think I've made my point.

I agree with Timulty that bidding should be simple. thumbsup2.gif

A note on minimum number of posts. I think judging how respectable or responsible someone is as a seller or buyer for that matter is retarded. insane.gif

I see lots of people's posts in the hundreds or thousands, but when I look up their "contributions", it's a bunch of graemlins, or one liners, that don't really contribute. I could have one thousand posts by now, by posting "I agree" to 12 posts per day that I actually agree with and sending a couple of graemlins a day.

Instead, I read those posts that really interest me because I don't have time for much else, and contribute only when necessary.

I can even take this further. How many of you have sent a PM with an offer for a book, and posted "PM sent", I see them all the time. A worthy contribution???

I think not. In fact I've read some sellers have become frustrated frustrated.gifbecause their thread would become longer and longer with a bunch of these. I realize on the other hand that it does show interest in the books to other people among other things.

You could go on and on about semantics of posting, but I think I've made my point.

I agree with Timulty that bidding should be simple. thumbsup2.gif

devil.gifyay.gifgrin.gif

Here is a problem,as I see it.

On ebay,one can place a large bid,secure in the fact that he'll get the book for one increment more than the last person bids. Here,someone can wait until the last second,bid two cents more and no one has a chance to bid.Thats already happened.

So,you either bid an amount that could be way more than anyone else,or you risk losing the book.

Have not even looked at it. With the limited time I have,and my slow internet conection,if I don't see a book I want in the heading,I don't bother to look.

That said,as you asked for an opinion,I'll take a look.