• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should there be a standard for forum auctions?

59 posts in this topic

Just to clarify soemthing here... the win by 2 cents, was more in jest than anything else.

But even if it wasn't who cares? It has happened to me plenty of times on eBay and I'm sure it has happened to the majority of you as well! If there were an increment rule, I would have abided by it. Also I was thrilled to actually be sniping something and was under the gun and didn't know what to put as a bid!

In regards to being upset about the sniping thing because of dial-up... get with the times and "splurge " for high speed! I can't stand hearing complaints about how long pictures take to load and the like! If you can afford to spend money on comic books, then I'm sure that $20/mnth towards high speed isn't an obscene thought! Just think of how fast you'll be able to travel through cyber space!

Again, just my 2 cents...

confused-smiley-013.gif

Just to clarify soemthing here... the win by 2 cents, was more in jest than anything else.

if it was in jest, you should have let Shad win the book makepoint.gif

The only reason I recognized it, was that it was timely, and I hadn't posted any "rules". It was definitely NOT a classy move on your part 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sniping is part of an everyday thing, whether on Ebay, Heritage etc..

Some people prefer Private PMS when bidding, so why punish them if they pay confused-smiley-013.gif

I think that when the auction is down to the final hour, post the current high bids. When its all over (time wise) post the results.

If someone really wants something they like, then they should bid accordingly. Personally, I prefer no minumum opening bid (thats they way I ran my first one, and thats the way I will do it again). If someone wants it, fine, if they dont, thats also OK.

Bottom line is, everyone wants a deal when buying, its just nicer to do it here with other forum members cloud9.gif

Sniping is part of an everyday thing, whether on Ebay, Heritage etc..

Some people prefer Private PMS when bidding, so why punish them if they pay confused-smiley-013.gif

I think that when the auction is down to the final hour, post the current high bids. When its all over (time wise) post the results.

If someone really wants something they like, then they should bid accordingly. Personally, I prefer no minumum opening bid (thats they way I ran my first one, and thats the way I will do it again). If someone wants it, fine, if they dont, thats also OK.

Bottom line is, everyone wants a deal when buying, its just nicer to do it here with other forum members cloud9.gif

This is well and good for trusted sellers. A good way to reconcile this sort of problem (shilling with fake "PM" bids) would be to list all of the bids post auction. That way it would be easy to spot fake bids. Or an abundance of bids from newly created accounts that seem to never win anything. confused-smiley-013.gif

I get where a lot of the posters are coming from by saying no rules should be enforced. I think it should be that way but, in reality, some people will falsely up their bids and the easiest way to do it is by saying "$97.50 via private PM." Maybe I'm alone on this one.

The only reason I recognized it, was that it was timely, and I hadn't posted any "rules". It was definitely NOT a classy move on your part 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good grief what is acceptable then? 17 cents plus a coupon? Come on.

Was the higher bid legal currency? Yes. Then what's the rub?

Good grief what is acceptable then? 17 cents plus a coupon? Come on.

Was the higher bid legal currency? Yes. Then what's the rub?

No kidding!

I paid immediately afterwards as well!

I am truly sorry that I am not a part of the "elite" and whatever I seem to do gets on!

And in regards to the class thing, next time I'll be sure to get out my tux and stick my nose in the air when I'm bidding on a $13 book!

I think after this, I'll be sticking to other venues for buying books... thanks for the rewarding experience! thumbsup2.gif

"I get where a lot of the posters are coming from by saying no rules should be enforced. I think it should be that way but, in reality, some people will falsely up their bids and the easiest way to do it is by saying "$97.50 via private PM." Maybe I'm alone on this one. "

When I look at the forum marketplace, I'm looking for a sanctum of sanity away from the normal selling outlets(ebay/old worn out dealer stock, etc.). This forum can be an extremely hard place to get your foot in the door, but that is part of why I can feel a certain level of trust of forumite auctions versus other selling outlets.

Over time, I can see which sellers(or poor collector who simply must sell, NOW!!) have put in the effort to be upfront in their grading, shipping, and overall service.

On the other hand a small # of forumites have been outed for shady or down right [embarrassing lack of self control] poor selling(ebay) tactics. If you think the forum rips up shady ebay sellers, then go look up how it treats shady forum sellers. It takes a long time for that 2nd butt-hole to heal up!! I do feel that the vigilant Forum Police tend to keep the forum a more respectable place.

Shill posters are tolerated here....Shill bidders will be disembowled and fed their own intestines.

Why? I won it fair and square, can I not get a good deal once in a while? confused-smiley-013.gif

The only reason I recognized it, was that it was timely, and I hadn't posted any "rules".
So where am I in the wrong? I can't see it!

It was definitely NOT a classy move on your part 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've seen countless auctions end by someone putting in a bid in the last moments on here! I guess because they are part of the "elite" they don't deserve the same ridicule?

Give me a break!

hail.gif

Personal opinion. Keep the auctions open. No, PM's. Someone, isn't willing to put out their max bid or sit and watch the auction then they shouldn't win the auction. Also, end the bidding 3 minutes after the last bid left. That gives plenty of time for dial-up users to get their stuff in.

Why? I won it fair and square, can I not get a good deal once in a while? confused-smiley-013.gif

The only reason I recognized it, was that it was timely, and I hadn't posted any "rules".

I've seen countless auctions end by someone putting in a bid in the last moments on here! I guess because they are part of the "elite" they don't deserve the same ridicule?

Give me a break!

hail.gif

Don't throw in the towel just yet. I've got 32 books listed...and I'll gladly take the extra 2 cents if you want to snipe them. thumbsup2.gif

Of course...there have to be opening bids first. tongue.gif

Give me a break!

hail.gif

Where's your sense of humor Johnny? . . . Lost it? grin.gif

Give me a break!

hail.gif

Don't throw in the towel just yet. I've got 32 books listed...and I'll gladly take the extra 2 cents if you want to snipe them. thumbsup2.gif

Of course...there have to be opening bids first. tongue.gif

That's the spirit!!! Someone who actually appreciates being able to sell a book... regardless of if it goes to their friend or not!

Good on you! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh, I'll have a peek at what's up later...

Gotta get off of here and get some work done foreheadslap.gif

Give me a break!

hail.gif

Where's your sense of humor Johnny? . . . Lost it? grin.gif

Sometimes I believe it isn't "humor". The "oh just joking" only comes out after the matter is truly brought to light.

If I'm wrong I am sorry...

Any more books coming up for auction??? poke2.gif

C'mon all...

Let's just have some fun!

Again, just my 2 cents!!! poke2.gifwink.gif

Sometimes I believe it isn't "humor". The "oh just joking" only comes out after the matter is truly brought to light.

If I'm wrong I am sorry...

Any more books coming up for auction??? poke2.gif

You are wrong . . . and no - you're now on my Forum "blocked bidders list" 27_laughing.gif

Yours too?

I know I got a kick out of removing him from my favorite sellers list.

Looks like this thread accomplished what I wanted. Hopefully folks will read ths and put a few rules on their auctions.

People comparing sniping her to ebay are missing a very important ppont. A snipe on ebay wil allow you to buy a book for one incrment more than the next high bidder.no such mechanism exists here.On ebay I can toss a $100 bid on a book with a $50 value and be 99% certain of winning at a cost not much above guide. Here a $100 bd is just that- a $100 bid.

Thats why I strongly advocate sellers use a "auction ends five minutes after last recieved bid" system.

BINs are fine,but seller should have the right to end the auction and sell if someone makes them an offer they can live with.

I don't think there should be a single format for all auctions,just that there should be some rules for every auction. Simple bid increments,payment policies,ect,ect.

Thanks to all that participated.

WoW!

Sorry to hear that you are so upset shadroch!

As a show of good faith, I'd be willing to sell you the book for what I paid for it. I received it today and it's a nice copy!

If you can't accept that, then that's good too. Thanks for purchasing from me in the past and I'm sorry it had to end up this way!

Oh! I am honored that I was once on your favorite sellers list! I will make it back there!!! foreheadslap.gif

John

I know I got a kick out of removing him from my favorite sellers list.

After this I STILL extended my good nature and offered the book for the price I paid... not even a courtesy response!

Well, I'm keeping it and happy to do so!

And to tell you the truth, I got a KICK out of winning the auction and all that followed!

Thanks again Divad!

Nice book wink.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

jeeze,I didn't realize it was mandatory to read every forum every day.

Do whatever you want with the book.I wouldn't have accepted your offer,even if you didn't renege on it even before I read it.

Have a nice life.