• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN HIGH GRADE CGC COLLECTION #1-200 FOR SALE !!

218 posts in this topic

I cant explain the perhaps poor timing...... unless maybe this deal has taken 6-9 months to finalize. From the sellers position, Im thinking it has to do with yearend calculations. The deal has been announced in 2006, but had to have gone down at least a few weeks earlier. I wonder which books are already gone too?

Something doesn't seem right about this. Metropolis bought a collection of comic books and is offering them for sale? See what I mean? I doesn't add up.

Like last week, I went to a supermarket and they were selling food? Where did they get the food? They had some eggs? Anyone know which chicken they came from?

Passed by a Ford dealer they other day. They were selling cars. I just don't get it.

Something doesn't seem right about this. Metropolis bought a collection of comic books and is offering them for sale? See what I mean? I doesn't add up.

Like last week, I went to a supermarket and they were selling food? Where did they get the food? They had some eggs? Anyone know which chicken they came from?

Passed by a Ford dealer they other day. They were selling cars. I just don't get it.

Agreed. There are always those who look for a conspiracy or the bad in everything. The only posts that should have been here were -

Metropolis bought/consigned a high grade collection.

They are nice books.

They are for sale.

End of story and good luck to Metropolis.

Agreed. There are always those who look for a conspiracy or the bad in everything. The only posts that should have been here were -

Metropolis bought/consigned a high grade collection.

They are nice books.

They are for sale.

End of story and good luck to Metropolis.

Because why care that a huge collector is suddenly dumping about a million in books.

The fact that people are questioning anyones reasons for selling is pretty absurd.

I think it's pretty absurd that someone would make a comment on here without actually reading anything. Truly absurd.

NO ONE is questioning WHY he's selling, but WHY HE'S SELLING TO METRO, who are in turn RESELLING them at a PROFIT. Lots of money left on the table.

I just don't understand how a person with the finances and intelligence to amass this kind of insane run would be stupid enough to leave bags of money on the table.. the only explanation that makes sense to me is tax season and the IRS breathing down someone's neck.

But of course Metro can clear this confusion up quickly, if they really wanted to.

Why hassle with consigning through Pedigree or the Link (where you lose 8-10% anyway), the logistics of shipping, the time factor if a dealer is going to pay you close to what you would make anyway?

I'd love to hear Metro chime in that they paid 90-92% of current market value. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously.. 27_laughing.gif

Interesting walk you took, but what does this have to do with you buying a solid run of ultra high-grade CGC books in one fell swoop, and then immediately reselling them?

Oh let me guess, you're the egg and the collector is a Ford Mustang? Am I close?

Im pretty sure I was on your side in this.... Ill have to go back and re-read it.

(or maybe you werent reponding to me...)

But hey, when you trod the landscape like the Titans of old, we little people scurry around trying to fathom your movements so as not to get trampled!!

Calling other people's presumptions delusional while making similar presumptions makes you look no better, to be frank. Multiple people, including myself, made reference to the possibility that it could be an original owner collection, so there goes your first point.

Since I wasn't referencing your comments specifically when I made my delusional comment, I really don't see what your cause for contention is. We basically agree on the possibility of these being OO (or at least pre-CGC books), so what's your problem? Next....

Metro said they bought him out (indicating no trade). Inferring that a trade took place in addition to cash is folly when there is evidence to point to a cash-only transaction.

I've rarely known a big trade/cash deal to be identified as such. There is almost always a dollar figure attached, giving the appearance of a cash purchase, even though some of the compensation might indeed involve trade. Steve hinted it was a buy out. Great. He never made specific mention of an all cash deal, and even if he did, dealers are not always forthcoming on transaction specifics. hence, my speculation was as valid as any....

Your third point really doesn't make sense. Unless Metro is paying market for these books (which they aren't) any collector of average intelligence will know that they could make significantly more money consigning the books or selling them through a venue like Heritage. So, unless the collector needed a bulk sum of cash immediately, there's no reason to think they'd accept what is in effect a loss.

If that's the case, I never would have sold a house last week for $25,000 below asking price, because, after all, "any seller with average intelligence" will know they could make significantly more money holding out for top dollar.

You don't know the intentions or situation of the seller any more than I do..he may very well need the money, or he may in fact feel the market will change in the months it would take to sell and consign 200 high grade books.

Or perhaps if you hadn't noticed, but many top grade early Marvels (including Spideys) are sitting on sites like Pedigree and Comiclink with top dollar asking prices and no offers. Maybe this seller is very much informed as to whats going on in the market and is willing to get out while he still can.

Like I said, Money talks.....

Your fourth point presumes Metro pays near top market, which they don't. I can guarantee that. They hike their CGC books through the roof, but I can't imagine they'd give someone top dollar and then presume that other collectors will pay a hell of a lot over top market as to make this transaction profitable.

What utter nonsense. So, when a dealer (like Metro) wins a book at auction (bidding against other dealers and collectors), effectively paying fair market value at the time, marks the book up, and places into his inventory, what do you call that?

Bob Storms bought a key from me a few months ago. He paid market price (as in, GPA average), effectively 80% of his eventual asking price (which was now well above market). In the era of CGC, dealers work on razor thin margins. 10-20% is the average margin on uber high grade material. Take away the consigment fee of 10%, and I can easily see why someone would be willing to give up the remaining 5-10% for the convienience of getting a nice fat check on the spot.

Take away the consigment fee of 10%, and I can easily see why someone would be willing to give up the remaining 5-10% for the convienience of getting a nice fat check on the spot.

there must be an echo in here! sounds right to me!

I don't understand why anyone cares where or why Metro got the books. confused-smiley-013.gif If you like them, but them. If not, don't. Anything else is just worthless speculation and empty market crash paranoia.

Why is it so weird for comic collectors to be interested when a huge collection (probably worth more than the combined collections of the majority of the posters here, sans a few) is sold to a dealer?

It's not like it's some random book. It's probably a million dollars worth of stuff.

This may seem hard to believe but the collector is very much alive. In fact, he decided to sell after we offered him an enourmous amount of money. Imagine that.

So this mysterious collector, says to you "Hey Metro, you know all those ultra high-grade ASM CGC books I paid nose-bleed prices for? Well I've suddenly decided to give them to you at a fraction of market price, so you can make lots of money reselling them!!"

Imagine that! 27_laughing.gif

More likely this was a "panic sale" due to the IRS or other creditors breathing down the guy's back. Otherwise, how does it make sense?

Now, now... 893naughty-thumb.gif

We all know that the smart guys are selling all their comics and buying OA! thumbsup2.gif

And when I went in person to pay my house insurance today, the person wanted to know if I was interested in some life insurance or any other insurance service.

Sounds crooked to me that insurance companies try to sell you insurance.

sign-rantpost.gif