• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN HIGH GRADE CGC COLLECTION #1-200 FOR SALE !!

218 posts in this topic

This may seem hard to believe but the collector is very much alive. In fact, he decided to sell after we offered him an enourmous amount of money. Imagine that.

So this mysterious collector, says to you "Hey Metro, you know all those ultra high-grade ASM CGC books I paid nose-bleed prices for? Well I've suddenly decided to give them to you at a fraction of market price, so you can make lots of money reselling them!!"

Imagine that! 27_laughing.gif

More likely this was a "panic sale" due to the IRS or other creditors breathing down the guy's back. Otherwise, how does it make sense?

Maybe he's buying a house? 27_laughing.gif

You know what would tickle me? Hearing about someone selling their house to buy a comic collection. Now that would be noteworthy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This may seem hard to believe but the collector is very much alive. In fact, he decided to sell after we offered him an enourmous amount of money. Imagine that.

So this mysterious collector, says to you "Hey Metro, you know all those ultra high-grade ASM CGC books I paid nose-bleed prices for? Well I've suddenly decided to give them to you at a fraction of market price, so you can make lots of money reselling them!!"

Imagine that! 27_laughing.gif

More likely this was a "panic sale" due to the IRS or other creditors breathing down the guy's back. Otherwise, how does it make sense?

Maybe he's buying a house? 27_laughing.gif

You know what would tickle me? Hearing about someone selling their house to buy a comic collection. Now that would be noteworthy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On this board, the reverse would be more likely...

"Is this an Original Owner collection?"

Don't you think they would pimp this if it were the case? I do.

Yeah, they would unless they think the owner is someone who's selling would be construed as detrimental to their sales. Though, even that can have it's own sort of appeal. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I've sold a few properties over the last few years and rewarded myself by taking a cut of the profits and buying some comics. Does that count? confused-smiley-013.gif

Something doesn't seem right about this. Metropolis bought a collection of comic books and is offering them for sale? See what I mean? I doesn't add up.

Like last week, I went to a supermarket and they were selling food? Where did they get the food? They had some eggs? Anyone know which chicken they came from?

Passed by a Ford dealer they other day. They were selling cars. I just don't get it.

Agreed. There are always those who look for a conspiracy or the bad in everything. The only posts that should have been here were -

Metropolis bought/consigned a high grade collection.

They are nice books.

They are for sale.

End of story and good luck to Metropolis.

I personally don't care about why the owner is selling, but as to my original comment, I do think it's interesting that there's an unprecedented amount of quality books on the market. In the Heritage auction alone, there are a couple of ASM's that have NEVER been offered for public sale in grade(the ASM #41 9.8, and #51 9.6 come to mind). This CGC run is probably the best I've seen a single dealer offer/aquire at one time, and who knows what's coming to Pedigree in 2 weeks.

I also could do without all the conspiracy, but it was bound to happen at such an interesting time in the market.

Anything else is just worthless speculation and empty market crash paranoia.

Let's just remember who's asking all the questions and doing all the speculating. gossip.gif

I asked one of the initial questions, and I think it was a valid one. If wondering whether the market can absorb all these books is "empty market crash paranoia" to some of you, then so be it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Let's just remember who's asking all the questions and doing all the speculating. gossip.gif

If you go reread the posts (which you obvously have not) you'd see that I am not commenting on the "market crash/end is near" stuff, I'm only VERY interested in who is selling and exactly how and why Metro got such an insane run.

Obviously they do not want to spill the beans, which just makes me more curious as to what's being hidden. None of it makes sense, given what Metro has said so far. If Metro wants to actively hype this "unprecedented run of killer ASM's" then I think we have a right to know the lineage of the comics.

How would you feel, hypothetically speaking, if you found out later that all these books were found in Ewert's closet, or came from his "personal" collection? I'm sure they did not, but I hope you can see my, and other's, points about lineage.

But please, don't be a tool and play this "JC is calling for a market crash again" just because you're too lazy to actually read what's being typed.

I was looking through some of my JFK assassination books today, and I could have sworn I saw Vinnie and Steve in one of the pictures of the grassy knoll!

Metro's likely response:

"So I was walking in the park today and saw a grassy knoll. How's that for crazy? I even stood on it!!

And I also went by a gun shop and saw them actually selling guns.. Did I go in and ask them if they sold a gun to Lee Harvey? Did I care?!"

80 NM 9.4

(CGC ow pages)

81 NM 9.4

(CGC ow pages)

82 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow/white pages)

83 NM 9.4

(CGC white pages)

84 NM 9.4

(CGC ow/white pages)

85 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow/white pages)

86 VF/NM 9

(CGC ow/white pages)

87 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow pages)

88 NM 9.4

(CGC ow/white pages)

89 NM 9.4

(CGC ow pages)

90 NM+ 9.6

(CGC white pages)

91 NM+ 9.6

(CGC white pages)

92 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow/white pages)

Well lookie there. This guy has a gorgeous, amazing collection of Spideys and the best he can do on #86 is a VF/NM 9.0. I have been saying for a long time now that this is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) late silver age Marvels to find in high grade. No idea why, but it's true.

No offense guys, but some of your assumptions border on the delusional.

- No one has mentioned that some of these books might have been purchased a long time ago (early or pre-CGC), so the potential to "cash out" is very real when you are going to make a huge profit on books purchased years ago.

- Large deals like this often go down with some form of trade, if anyone had killer inventory to involve in a large deal, it would be Metro. The guy may have just wanted out of Spider-man and into something else (plus a nice sum of cash).

- I'm quite sure Metro has several "institutional" collectors that deal almost exclusively with them. These guys are well-paid professionals who don't have the time or inclination to go bargain hunting for the best consignment % to sell their investment through, especially if they have a well established relationship with Metro. Besides, money talks....

- Metro tends to charge a premium for premium books, which likely means they paid near top market. Why hassle with consigning through Pedigree or the Link (where you lose 8-10% anyway), the logistics of shipping, the time factor if a dealer is going to pay you close to what you would make anyway?

- So give the conspiracy theories a rest, and enjoy what is one incredible run of comics. Congrats to Metro. thumbsup2.gif

Exactly. Selling books is a LOT of work. At the end of my selling binge last year, I sold a big chunk to a dealer at 55% of FMV. Did I leave money on the table? Sure, but the dealer has to eat too. And I didn't have to spend months and months waiting for the books to sell, nor did I have to put in all that effort.

Some of you guys seem to think that if a book has an FMV of $1000, that you can just snap your fingers and the book turns into cash. It doesn't work that way. Try selling a portion of your collection some time and then come back and judge.

Your third point really doesn't make sense. Unless Metro is paying market for these books (which they aren't) any collector of average intelligence will know that they could make significantly more money consigning the books or selling them through a venue like Heritage. So, unless the collector needed a bulk sum of cash immediately, there's no reason to think they'd accept what is in effect a loss.

Are you kidding me? Heritage keeps a little over 26% of what the buyer pays when you factor in the 15% buyer's premium and the seller's commission of 15%.

Your fourth point presumes Metro pays near top market, which they don't. I can guarantee that. They hike their CGC books through the roof, but I can't imagine they'd give someone top dollar and then presume that other collectors will pay a hell of a lot over top market as to make this transaction profitable.

Metro has the reputation for paying well for nice stuff. Although I don't have up-close-and-personal knowledge because Vincent blew me off when I tried to talk about selling him part of my collection, I have heard from quite a few people that when you have stuff they want, they pay for it. That's why their prices are so high on some things.

Like last week, I went to a supermarket and they were selling food? Where did they get the food? They had some eggs? Anyone know which chicken they came from?

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

There are only four logical conclusions:

1) The owner of the supermarket had an impending financial crisis and needed to sell his eggs fast to get some money. He happened to own a supermarket so he just brought them to work and sold them.

2) The eggs were stolen and his usual fence was out of town.

3) He didn't realize that eggs always sell faster in February and that he was leaving a lot of money on the table by selling now.

4) He got an anonymous phone call saying "Sell the eggs or your family dies tonight."