• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN HIGH GRADE CGC COLLECTION #1-200 FOR SALE !!

218 posts in this topic

Something doesn't seem right about this. Metropolis bought a collection of comic books and is offering them for sale? See what I mean? I doesn't add up.

Like last week, I went to a supermarket and they were selling food? Where did they get the food? They had some eggs? Anyone know which chicken they came from?

Passed by a Ford dealer they other day. They were selling cars. I just don't get it.

Agreed. There are always those who look for a conspiracy or the bad in everything. The only posts that should have been here were -

Metropolis bought/consigned a high grade collection.

They are nice books.

They are for sale.

End of story and good luck to Metropolis.

Because why care that a huge collector is suddenly dumping about a million in books.

You are smoking crack if you think that collection is worth anywhere near $1 million.

80 NM 9.4

(CGC ow pages)

81 NM 9.4

(CGC ow pages)

82 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow/white pages)

83 NM 9.4

(CGC white pages)

84 NM 9.4

(CGC ow/white pages)

85 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow/white pages)

86 VF/NM 9

(CGC ow/white pages)

87 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow pages)

88 NM 9.4

(CGC ow/white pages)

89 NM 9.4

(CGC ow pages)

90 NM+ 9.6

(CGC white pages)

91 NM+ 9.6

(CGC white pages)

92 NM+ 9.6

(CGC ow/white pages)

Well lookie there. This guy has a gorgeous, amazing collection of Spideys and the best he can do on #86 is a VF/NM 9.0. I have been saying for a long time now that this is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) late silver age Marvels to find in high grade. No idea why, but it's true.

Yeah, there are only 36 copies on the census above 9.0. poke2.gif

Well lookie there. This guy has a gorgeous, amazing collection of Spideys and the best he can do on #86 is a VF/NM 9.0. I have been saying for a long time now that this is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) late silver age Marvels to find in high grade. No idea why, but it's true.

It's not so tough wink.gif

ASM86front.jpg

Actually, I agree with your assessment.

So anyone gotten any pricing info yet? I'm still waiting for a reply to my request for a half-dozen prices. I'm wondering if these books have the typical "New York" markup, or are priced to move.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At the end of my selling binge last year, I sold a big chunk to a dealer at 55% of FMV.

WOW! You sold a complete run of ultra high-grade CGC ASM issues to a dealer at 55% of FMV? The dealer must have made serious coin off you, and it takes a real man to admit making a mistake like that. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Simply amazing, and there must be more of these early SA NM books than anyone suspects. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There are only four logical conclusions:

Actually, this "guy selling eggs" is quite telling from Metro's mindset and suggests that comic collectors should just buy their CGC comics by the dozen, like a commodity such as eggs.

No questions allowed, just gimme a dozen/pound/case of CGC comics and be on your way. Where did they come from? What chemicals and steroids are in them? Free range? No comment?

And just as a side note, I buy ALL of my eggs, milk and meat from a local farmer, and you can actually go in if you want to and see the uncaged chickens... So if you want to make the "egg comparison" at least understand there are smart people who do want to know where their "commodities" come from.

Some of you guys seem to think that if a book has an FMV of $1000, that you can just snap your fingers and the book turns into cash. It doesn't work that way. Try selling a portion of your collection some time and then come back and judge.

No truer words have ever been spoken . . . grin.gif

except that was this pile of books 9.4 SA and 9.6/8 BA Spideys? HG is where the action is and what dealers want. They all have plenty of "inventory" and will not pay much for more comics that wont fly out the door .

heck, we all know what went down here, and , we're all just probing out of curiousity. A collector chose Metro to sell his Spideys all in one swoop rather than slog it out himself for 'x' dollars more. He made the decison to deal with Steve....and to sell not consign (perhaps). Lets all sit back now and see where the books go, cause the story will seep out in due time.

then again - - maybe this is more interesting than we thought. Just playing a hunch here, but what if these Spideys and Pedigree's Spideys are the SAME Spideys? Has anyone seen the grades of Pedigree's run? Are they the same books? Can it be possible that there was a snag in Dougs negotiations, or persistent pressure from Steve which managed to loosen Dougs grip on the run - - and let Metro in on the deal? Stranger things have happened..... Betwen them they know every BSD in the game. Maybe the seller is smarter than we give him credit for???

It's probably Matt Damon's or Ben Affleck's collection. They would have good reason to sell.

why? I dont get it.. they are both doing well enough to not need a few 100K

Money isn't always the factor. Look at Nic Cage's collection that was sold off.

Yep, and what just happened to Matt Damon? Ole Bennifer are expecting. I can see this happening. But I would expect that Metro would hype the fact if that were the case. I also, suspect that neither one of those 2, had that kinda of collection sitting around either.

then again - - maybe this is more interesting than we thought. Just playing a hunch here, but what if these Spideys and Pedigree's Spideys are the SAME Spideys? Has anyone seen the grades of Pedigree's run? Are they the same books? Can it be possible that there was a snag in Dougs negotiations, or persistent pressure from Steve which managed to loosen Dougs grip on the run - - and let Metro in on the deal? Stranger things have happened..... Betwen them they know every BSD in the game. Maybe the seller is smarter than we give him credit for???

forget it, I forgot that Doug has an entire SA Marvel HG collection...not just SPideys. my bad.

There was an ASM #2 and #3 in 9.6 up on Doug's site a short time ago, and now they're gone. My guess is that those were the same copies in this run, and after trying to consign 2 of the nicer books for a short time, the seller opted to just sell the whole run in one shot in the interest of saving time.