• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN HIGH GRADE CGC COLLECTION #1-200 FOR SALE !!

218 posts in this topic

Metro has the reputation for paying well for nice stuff. Although I don't have up-close-and-personal knowledge because Vincent blew me off when I tried to talk about selling him part of my collection, I have heard from quite a few people that when you have stuff they want, they pay for it. That's why their prices are so high on some things.

Next time talk to Steven too. Some times they aren't on the same page even though they are in the same company. Vincent didn't seem too interested in my books, and then a week later Steven found my email I guess and we worked out a deal in 5 mintues over the phone.

Next time talk to Steven too. Some times they aren't on the same page even though they are in the same company. Vincent didn't seem too interested in my books, and then a week later Steven found my email I guess and we worked out a deal in 5 mintues over the phone.

Just out of curiosity what did you sell?

Just to put this thread back on track:

Congrats to Metro on this spectacular run. I saw parts of the run today at the show. Very nice books. Saw the ASM Ann. #1. Awesome book.

One thing I'll note is that we (I mean that collectively, even though I didn't post in this thread) kinda started speculating and dumping in this thread on Metro's purchase and the books. I think that's unfair. We could have started another thread on the issues somewhere else to discuss it, instead of clogging the Marketplace thread.

I know I've been guilty of participating in this kind of thing in the past, but I'd like to show the dealers who take the time to come on and advertise and participate on these boards some respect, as I would any other board member.

aman:

I understand this, and I'm not attacking, just suggesting to everyone that perhaps what might be fair is if we started a new thread to discuss the points concerning the books and the other market speculation concerning why the person sold etc. Obviously, I'm not arguing that we shouldn't talk about it, just not here in the Marketplace.

I understand if others disagree with my point of view, it's just not fair to the seller to me.

If you go reread the posts (which you obvously have not) you'd see that I am not commenting on the "market crash/end is near" stuff, I'm only VERY interested in who is selling and exactly how and why Metro got such an insane run.

Obviously they do not want to spill the beans, which just makes me more curious as to what's being hidden. None of it makes sense, given what Metro has said so far. If Metro wants to actively hype this "unprecedented run of killer ASM's" then I think we have a right to know the lineage of the comics.

How would you feel, hypothetically speaking, if you found out later that all these books were found in Ewert's closet, or came from his "personal" collection? I'm sure they did not, but I hope you can see my, and other's, points about lineage.

When have dealers EVER disclosed who they purchased their books from, why the seller decided to sell and at what price did the books get sold to the dealer? Last time I checked, this was the kind of highly confidential proprietary information that dealers, and virtually any businessman, keeps under wraps.

Now, if you want to know whether these books belonged to or ever passed through Jason Ewert's hands, or if any of these books have, to Metro's knowledge, ever been pressed, cleaned or restored, notwithstanding their being in a blue label, that's a different matter. I'm sure if you just asked those specific questions, they would be answered.

Well lookie there. This guy has a gorgeous, amazing collection of Spideys and the best he can do on #86 is a VF/NM 9.0. I have been saying for a long time now that this is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) late silver age Marvels to find in high grade. No idea why, but it's true.

It's not so tough wink.gif

ASM86front.jpg

Actually, I agree with your assessment.

What would you grade that?

Oh, and here's my raw copy BTW. Bone white pages. cool.gif It's the only Spidey from 1-100 I didn't sell when I sold the front half of my ASM collection. I knew I'd have a tough time finding a better copy, so I kept it. cloud9.gif

asm86-96.jpg

Well lookie there. This guy has a gorgeous, amazing collection of Spideys and the best he can do on #86 is a VF/NM 9.0. I have been saying for a long time now that this is one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) late silver age Marvels to find in high grade. No idea why, but it's true.

Yeah, there are only 36 copies on the census above 9.0. poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif Hey roy, I said HIGH GRADE. poke2.gif I wasn't talking about freakin' VF/NMs!!! I owned six copies of this book in VF/NM and NM- over the last two years. 9.2 and below on this book is easy, but 9.4 and above (especially with decent QP!) is tough as hell.

Look at the CGC Census numbers for that issue compared to all the other late silver ASMs from 1968 onward. The only book that's as tough as this one is #63, another notorious toughy in 9.4 or better.

At the end of my selling binge last year, I sold a big chunk to a dealer at 55% of FMV.

WOW! You sold a complete run of ultra high-grade CGC ASM issues to a dealer at 55% of FMV? The dealer must have made serious coin off you, and it takes a real man to admit making a mistake like that. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Simply amazing, and there must be more of these early SA NM books than anyone suspects. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, I sold the stuff that wasn't worth selling individually as a group lot for 55% FMV. I know it's hard, but try not to be a insufficiently_thoughtful_person AND a at the same time. We should each try to specialize in just one thing. It's the wave of the future.

Metro has the reputation for paying well for nice stuff. Although I don't have up-close-and-personal knowledge because Vincent blew me off when I tried to talk about selling him part of my collection, I have heard from quite a few people that when you have stuff they want, they pay for it. That's why their prices are so high on some things.

Nah, I'd prefer to deal with a guy who's happy to talk to me the first time. confused-smiley-013.gif

At the end of my selling binge last year, I sold a big chunk to a dealer at 55% of FMV.

WOW! You sold a complete run of ultra high-grade CGC ASM issues to a dealer at 55% of FMV? The dealer must have made serious coin off you, and it takes a real man to admit making a mistake like that. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Simply amazing, and there must be more of these early SA NM books than anyone suspects. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, I sold the stuff that wasn't worth selling individually as a group lot for 55% FMV.

So what does that have to do with our conversation about an ultra high-grade CGC ASM run being sold to Metro? Why bother even replying with your 55% FMV figure if it was for junk?

ASM86front.jpg

Actually, I agree with your assessment.

What would you grade that?

Oh, and here's my raw copy BTW. Bone white pages. cool.gif It's the only Spidey from 1-100 I didn't sell when I sold the front half of my ASM collection. I knew I'd have a tough time finding a better copy, so I kept it. cloud9.gif

asm86-96.jpg

My copy is a solid 9.2, Scott, with an outside chance at a 9.4. It has some very minute wear along the top edge, and you can see the top edge of the right corner has a slight bend from overhang. Yours looks even better structurally, and is beautifully registered. If there are no surprises on the back cover or along the spine, I'd say you'd have a shot at a 9.6. thumbsup2.gif

Alright, I'll admit, I sold the collection to them. I found a collection of cabbage patch dolls and beanie babies. There were multiples of each with mint tags, bright colors and came from a smoke free home. I thought it best to strike while the iron is hot. I have a similar run of FF available if anyone has any Furby's available.

Alright, I'll admit, I sold the collection to them. I found a collection of cabbage patch dolls and beanie babies. There were multiples of each with mint tags, bright colors and came from a smoke free home. I thought it best to strike while the iron is hot. I have a similar run of FF available if anyone has any Furby's available.

pm sent yay.gif

I've not heard back from Metro and reading the replies neither have a few people in this thread.

Replies as in what sense? If someone sent them a message about legitimately buying something, then I would expect them to reply. If people expect them to reply to useless messages and posts about where the collection came from, Ewert, blah blah blah - I would not expect them to reply.

why do you assume people here sent annoying curious emails to Metro? and not offers to buy certain books that havent been replied to...???

Anyway, they were at the NY Show all day yeaterday.

and it is a weekend, office must be closed...

why do you assume people here sent annoying curious emails to Metro? and not offers to buy certain books that havent been replied to...???

Anyway, they were at the NY Show all day yeaterday.

and it is a weekend, office must be closed...

I am sorry , whose post are your referring to? Re-read my post and tell me where I assume people are sending annoying curious emails and not inquiries about buying. I see a lot of "if's" in my posts but no assumptions. I see a lot of posts by others ( as I refer to posts in my last post) with questions , assumptions, about the collection . So it is not an assumption on my part when the posts are right in front of your face.

Replies as in what sense? If someone sent them a message about legitimately buying something, then I would expect them to reply. If people expect them to reply to useless messages and posts about where the collection came from, Ewert, blah blah blah - I would not expect them to reply.