• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN HIGH GRADE CGC COLLECTION #1-200 FOR SALE !!

218 posts in this topic

I've not heard back from Metro and reading the replies neither have a few people in this thread.

Replies as in what sense? If someone sent them a message about legitimately buying something, then I would expect them to reply. If people expect them to reply to useless messages and posts about where the collection came from, Ewert, blah blah blah - I would not expect them to reply.

I made a genuine enquiry on a few books and prices the day this post was made and still no reply. Having read the whole thread the same can be said to a couple of other people who have said they have not heard back from them regarding books/prices.

BTW Could someone enlighten me on who the hell this Jason Ewert is? Ever since i registered here i must have seen his name in 50 threads. From what i gather he presses comics or something. Someone? Anyone!!

JC,

You missed the point of FFB's post regarding selling to a dealer. It could take a year or more to move all of those books individually by yourself if you really wanted to try to maximize your profits. That's a lot of frikkin' time and effort for the possibility of achieving $xxx amount of additional revenue. Also, you're assuming that Metro paid a percentage of guide comparable to what a dealer would typically offer for a run-of-the-mill raw collection. I just don't see Vinnie or Steve writing a check for 25% of 9.2 guide for these, do you? grin.gif If I were a betting man (I'm not, at least not on these forums!), I'd bet that Metro paid at least 50% of current FMV for the books. However, it's nobody's business except for Metro and the owner what the terms of the sale were. Assuming they are not consigned, of course.

The botom line is this --- If I were no longer interested in owning a collectible, why would I want to grind away for months and months selling it piecemeal when I could spend my time and money doing something else instead. Until Wells Fargo upgrades the deposit slot on their ATM machines so it's wide enough to accept slabs, I'd take the money and move on.

BTW Could someone enlighten me on who the hell this Jason Ewert is? Ever since i registered here i must have seen his name in 50 threads. From what i gather he presses comics or something. Someone? Anyone!!

Jason Ewert is eBay comic seller ejaenter. He always would come up with unbelievable high grades finds but he got greedy. Evidently he came up with a method of trimming a book that was very hard to detect. Jason got even more greedy and trimmed some books that were previously graded and identifiable through certain characteristics ( Heritage had a data base of all there auctions and I think some of them were in those auctions) CGC missed the trimming on an unknown amount of books. CGC and others agreed to buy back all Jason Ewert books that are trimmed. Some collectors were shocked that CGC was not perfect. Jason Ewert was banned from CGC and it was suggested that he get out of the hobby. Forum members beat topic to death and then after that , beat it some more. Then the topic is revisted, and rehashed over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. After that ,forum members decided to talk about it again and again and again and again. Once it was all put to bed, forum members decided to really talk about.

why do you assume people here sent annoying curious emails to Metro? and not offers to buy certain books that havent been replied to...???

Anyway, they were at the NY Show all day yeaterday.

and it is a weekend, office must be closed...

I am sorry , whose post are your referring to? Re-read my post and tell me where I assume people are sending annoying curious emails and not inquiries about buying. I see a lot of "if's" in my posts but no assumptions. I see a lot of posts by others ( as I refer to posts in my last post) with questions , assumptions, about the collection . So it is not an assumption on my part when the posts are right in front of your face.

Replies as in what sense? If someone sent them a message about legitimately buying something, then I would expect them to reply. If people expect them to reply to useless messages and posts about where the collection came from, Ewert, blah blah blah - I would not expect them to reply.

your post read to me as being frustrated that others were complaining about not hearing back from them, and sounded like you were ascribing th elack of Metro replies as being because of their content or tone. It was youyr fustration that led me to believe YOU were criticising others. Okay now I am confused.

If I were a betting man (I'm not, at least not on these forums!), I'd bet that Metro paid at least 50% of current FMV for the books.

sheeute, Ill take that bet! Steve and Vinnie are GOOD, but Ill bet they had to pay no less than within 20-30% of FMV. maybe more. I wasnt gonna take a penny less!

You missed the point of FFB's post regarding selling to a dealer.

No I did not.

Bulk or hard-to-sell comics are not what we're talking about here, but a near-complete run of ultra high-grade CGC ASM issues.

If would be like Metro stating they recently purchased a extensive set of classic 1920's and 30's cars for resale, and FFB chiming in that he recently sold a Yugo for 55% FMV.

You missed the point of FFB's post regarding selling to a dealer.

No I did not.

Bulk or hard-to-sell comics are not what we're talking about here, but a near-complete run of ultra high-grade CGC ASM issues.

If would be like Metro stating they recently purchased a extensive set of classic 1920's and 30's cars for resale, and FFB chiming in that he recently sold a Yugo for 55% FMV.

A near complete run of of ultra high-grade ASM's still takes an incredible amount of time and effort to sell. It's not like you can throw them all on an eBay Store and sell through every one of them in 30 or 60 days and get top dollar. Sure it's the most popular silver age title, but there's only so many buyers who need a particular book in grade at a given moment. Hell, the fact that they are so high grade might make them even more difficult to sell because they are so expensive. It's possible that 9.2's or below could actually sell through more quickly!

A person's time is worth money no matter who they are. The person who has the means to acquire such a high end collection probably places a very high value on their time.

Why does any of this even matter?

Jason Ewert is eBay comic seller ejaenter. He always would come up with unbelievable high grades finds but he got greedy. Evidently he came up with a method of trimming a book that was very hard to detect. Jason got even more greedy and trimmed some books that were previously graded and identifiable through certain characteristics ( Heritage had a data base of all there auctions and I think some of them were in those auctions) CGC missed the trimming on an unknown amount of books. CGC and others agreed to buy back all Jason Ewert books that are trimmed. Some collectors were shocked that CGC was not perfect. Jason Ewert was banned from CGC and it was suggested that he get out of the hobby. Forum members beat topic to death and then after that , beat it some more. Then the topic is revisted, and rehashed over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. After that ,forum members decided to talk about it again and again and again and again. Once it was all put to bed, forum members decided to really talk about.

Thanks tomega.

That's a really sad story. So did CGC manage to buy back all the defective books? Also im not aware of the process of "trimming" on comics. Could you please explain in more detail? I have one CGC book i bought 4 years ago and now im worried that it was touched by the hands of the evil ewert. The right hand side of the book is jagged yet it's a 9.6. confused.gif

Not that it's any of my business,but I have to agree with what you say about the aggressive purchasing capabilities of www.metropoliscomics.com .I've sold a couple of books to them in the past,and they definitely pay very fair prices for the material that they need.Their business model has always been geared toward massive inventory.They certainly don't mind being 12 deep in the items that they carry.Their online inventory is only a tip of their iceburg.They believe in the back issue market and they definitely have a long haul mentality.ASM is arguably the most liquid in the market and they cater to a clientele that would stagger the mind.That being said,it wouldn't surprise me at all if they called up www.pedigreecomics.com and offered a lump sum deal for all of the ASM's that they recently took on consignment.I'm not saying that is what happened ,just that it would not surprise me at all.After all, Metropolis takes pride in the strength of their inventory and the 9.4 and above Spideys are still quite the headliner,not to mention the possibilities that a run like that opens up in the trading arena.Your speculation of 20% of FMV wouldn't surprise me that much.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

They have no bought back all the defective books. It is unknown at this point how many of them there may acutally be, although at one point CGC stated that only books in a 6-9 month time period that had passed through Ewerts hands are suspect. Very little information about the whole situation has been made publicly available by CGC. It's like having an ad on the side of a milk carton for a missing person, but there's no picture or named listed.

If you are worried that your comic was submitted to CGC by Ewert, you can call them and they will confirm whether or not that's the case.

If I were a betting man (I'm not, at least not on these forums!), I'd bet that Metro paid at least 50% of current FMV for the books.

sheeute, Ill take that bet! Steve and Vinnie are GOOD, but Ill bet they had to pay no less than within 20-30% of FMV. maybe more. I wasnt gonna take a penny less!

To clarify, you're saying you think they might have paid up to 70-80% of FMV? It comes across a little backwards the way you originally stated it. You might be right...

To clarify, you're saying you think they might have paid up to 70-80% of FMV? It comes across a little backwards the way you originally stated it. You might be right...

yes. you are correct. NO WAY they got them for 50%. Not those books. Not in todays HG seller's market. Look over Metro's website. Yes they are stocked in depth on nearly everything, but slabbed 9.4s of key titles are pretty few and far between. This is a killer run, and jujst the stuff Metro has always prided themselves on having available.

But they had to pay pretty good for them. The good old Chuckie days are long gone.

yes. you are correct. NO WAY they got them for 50%. Not those books. Not in todays HG seller's market. Look over Metro's website. Yes they are stocked in depth on nearly everything, but slabbed 9.4s of key titles are pretty few and far between. This is a killer run, and jujst the stuff Metro has always prided themselves on having available.

But they had to pay pretty good for them. The good old Chuckie days are long gone.

27_laughing.gifDealers don't pay 70-80% of FMV. Certainly not ones that stay in business.

when they have to yeah. For easy to sell HG? For Impressive Inventory? yeah

Plus, for Metro, theres FMV and then there's what Metro can sticker them for, right?

You cant steal the good stuff anymore. No matter how good you are.

27_laughing.gifDealers don't pay 70-80% of FMV. Certainly not ones that stay in business.

Actually, I can tell you from first-hand experience that dealers who have been in the biz for a long time and who are very well known will pay 80% of FMV. The books they'll do it on are ones that have a very high likelihood of being sold for FMV relatively quickly - an ASM 14 and TOS 39 from me, for instance.

I agree completely with Aman that this ASM collection is so choice that each book certainly cost Metro plenty. Will Metro make a good profit on them? Just check out their asking prices (which are nearly unformly at or near record territory), and then let's see how quickly the books get moved to know for certain.

I agree completely with Aman that this ASM collection is so choice that each book certainly cost Metro plenty. Will Metro make a good profit on them? Just check out their asking prices (which are nearly unformly at or near record territory), and then let's see how quickly the books get moved to know for certain.

That's the real crunch here, as this large run doesn't fit into the 'easy to move HG key' category. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, I can tell you from first-hand experience that dealers who have been in the biz for a long time and who are very well known will pay 80% of FMV.

80% of Guide maybe, but not 80% of FMV.

But maybe I'm wrong. PM me some names, as I have almost 3 boxes of CGC comics that I'd ship out in a NY minute for 80% of what I'd see on EBay. That 20% is worth it to save the time and hassle.

Actually, I can tell you from first-hand experience that dealers who have been in the biz for a long time and who are very well known will pay 80% of FMV.

80% of Guide maybe, but not 80% of FMV.

But maybe I'm wrong. PM me some names, as I have almost 3 boxes of CGC comics that I'd ship out in a NY minute for 80% of what I'd see on EBay. That 20% is worth it to save the time and hassle.

You should stop being so dense. My sentence immediately following the one you quoted tells you what you need to know but apparently don't - that dealers pay close to full FMV for books that are likely to sell quickly for FMV, such as ultra high grade Spideys or early Silver Age keys. The ASM run in question fits the bill to a T. These are not books that are liable to sit around collecting dust. I'd guess that the vast majority of books in your 3 boxes don't make the cut.