• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN HIGH GRADE CGC COLLECTION #1-200 FOR SALE !!

218 posts in this topic

80% of Guide maybe, but not 80% of FMV.

I disagree here Vince. ASM's are a different animal, and considering that Metro has a massive client base, AND the ability to hold onto inventory, they could make a nice profit on this run, even at 80% FMV. Whether they actually paid that or not, I don't know, but it's not out of the question for these books.

Was I talking to you?

Trolls are wimps and rarely talk TO you, and usually talk ABOUT you.

But you already know that.

893blahblah.gif Looks like the meds wore off sometime between when you posted your sportscard thread (an amazingly reasonable JC) and when you started getting increasingly belligerent in this thread (same old JC). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like the meds wore off sometime between when you posted your sportscard thread (an amazingly reasonable JC) and when you started getting increasingly belligerent in this thread (same old JC). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tim, do you have anything useful to add to the Metro discussion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

Was I talking to you?

Trolls are wimps and rarely talk TO you, and usually talk ABOUT you.

But you already know that.

893blahblah.gif Looks like the meds wore off sometime between when you posted your sportscard thread (an amazingly reasonable JC) and when you started getting increasingly belligerent in this thread (same old JC). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

649736-dd187stopit.JPG

Looks like the meds wore off sometime between when you posted your sportscard thread (an amazingly reasonable JC) and when you started getting increasingly belligerent in this thread (same old JC). 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tim, do you have anything useful to add to the Metro discussion? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

why are so many people getting on TTH2s case lately? Hes not a bad guy....

Not really, just trying to help namisgr preserve his sanity.

Not really, just trying to help namisgr preserve his sanity.

Fair enough. 27_laughing.gif

At the end of my selling binge last year, I sold a big chunk to a dealer at 55% of FMV.

WOW! You sold a complete run of ultra high-grade CGC ASM issues to a dealer at 55% of FMV? The dealer must have made serious coin off you, and it takes a real man to admit making a mistake like that. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Simply amazing, and there must be more of these early SA NM books than anyone suspects. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, I sold the stuff that wasn't worth selling individually as a group lot for 55% FMV.

So what does that have to do with our conversation about an ultra high-grade CGC ASM run being sold to Metro? Why bother even replying with your 55% FMV figure if it was for junk?

You'd probably have to read my comment in context with the rest of my post to understand my meaning, so I'll go ahead and let you get back to doing that.

My copy is a solid 9.2, Scott, with an outside chance at a 9.4. It has some very minute wear along the top edge, and you can see the top edge of the right corner has a slight bend from overhang. Yours looks even better structurally, and is beautifully registered. If there are no surprises on the back cover or along the spine, I'd say you'd have a shot at a 9.6. thumbsup2.gif

There are no surprises on the back cover.

cloud9.gif FWIW, I graded this raw copy a 9.6.

asm86-96b.jpg

JC,

You missed the point of FFB's post regarding selling to a dealer. It could take a year or more to move all of those books individually by yourself if you really wanted to try to maximize your profits. That's a lot of frikkin' time and effort for the possibility of achieving $xxx amount of additional revenue. Also, you're assuming that Metro paid a percentage of guide comparable to what a dealer would typically offer for a run-of-the-mill raw collection. I just don't see Vinnie or Steve writing a check for 25% of 9.2 guide for these, do you? grin.gif If I were a betting man (I'm not, at least not on these forums!), I'd bet that Metro paid at least 50% of current FMV for the books. However, it's nobody's business except for Metro and the owner what the terms of the sale were. Assuming they are not consigned, of course.

The botom line is this --- If I were no longer interested in owning a collectible, why would I want to grind away for months and months selling it piecemeal when I could spend my time and money doing something else instead. Until Wells Fargo upgrades the deposit slot on their ATM machines so it's wide enough to accept slabs, I'd take the money and move on.

I would have said Bank of America, but otherwise, er . . . exactly. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Paying 70-80% of "FMV/GPA Average/estimated EBay sales total/or whatever" would be patently insane for a company wanting to stay in business.

Go back earlier in this thread where I mention that Bob storms paid me the GPA average for a Marvel key.

It happens.

Paying 70-80% of "FMV/GPA Average/estimated EBay sales total/or whatever" would be patently insane for a company wanting to stay in business.

Go back earlier in this thread where I mention that Bob storms paid me the GPA average for a Marvel key.

It happens.

I wasn't the one who said that but your post makes it look like I did. Just wanted to clarify that.

Just to chime in, I haven't seen anyone make the point that Metro can actually ask MORE than GPA for books (and reasonably expect to get it), and in turn can offer equal or more than the 90% or so you'd get from selling them on Ebay.

Just to chime in, I haven't seen anyone make the point that Metro can actually ask MORE than GPA for books (and reasonably expect to get it), and in turn can offer equal or more than the 90% or so you'd get from selling them on Ebay.

Then you missed my math-based speculation that Metro could readily pay 80% of "FMV" for many of these books and, in turn, sell them for 120% of "FMV" and reap a 50% profit. Their prices make it appear as if they are trying to do just that.

Remember, without rampant, unsubstantiated speculation, life would be simply a boring collection of facts. grin.gif

I added up all the books. And for everyones talk of a $Million Dollar collection. I dont see it. confused-smiley-013.gif

About $300,000 for the books in the list I've got, although my list is missing the ASM 1 and 12-20. Maybe not close to a mil, but still the best Spidey run I've seen for sale since the PC pedigree went public.